Castres Vs Leinster Fri 20th Jan 19:45 (Sky Sports)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Castres Vs Leinster Fri 20th Jan 19:45 (Sky Sports)

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Accurate, on the basis that the post came from my fingers but not in the modern use of the word!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:For me, the two biggest failings were the defence and the broken field team attack. There was way to much looseness and lack of technical precision in both. Castres were able to stress the defence quite easily. Instead of the defence pressuring the Castres attack, it was the Leinster defence that seemed to constantly be under pressure.

Four or five times there were good attacking opportunities which were ruined by poor play. I think the coaches need a refresher course from Graham Henry already because all the backs were running cross-field, just wasting the space. What happened to staying square to conserve the space for those outside?

I suppose the positive is that that it was good experience for Byrnex2, Molony and O'Loughlin

Have to say I thought the O'Loughlin thing was a try. It looked to me as if his left hand didn't leave the ball until he got downward pressure.
Having re-watched this morning, having been at game, RO'L clearly knocked ball on to his boot before regathering to "score" under the sticks.

Overall, Leinster fans were very disappointed at missed opportunities. But Castres home record has to be respected (one loss in 26 games). Their scrum-half and right winger were immense in attack and their pack were very dominant in maintaining possession. Certainly, they deserved to be more highly rated than many Irish journos and posters allowed (QUOTE RUCKEDTOBITS).

Jamie said it after the game first in the team huddle "We have to learn from this" then in interview "Don't think that was up to our standard". We have frightening potential but after watching the full match again today will be disappointed at errors that helped them get all 3 trys plus Smith break through midfield that led to their penalty,

On another day we would not have been so inaccurate or unlucky in attack and had 7 try scoring chances to add to our 3 trys:-
- 22 mins ROL great pace from R.Byrne kick just beaten by Berard slide kick,
-36 mins Conan had chance to pass to Heaslip on their 22 with just Smith covering Heaslip before he slipped & Dupont tackled him,
-37 mins Ross Byrne pass to VDF 5 metres from line was below his hip and he could not dig out before getting tackled
-41 mins Ringrose no look pass to LMcG after great break
- 44 mins LMcG dropped RK pass after great break
- 58 mins ROL penalised for questionable knock on kicking near post when we had advantage
- 62 mins JMcG inches from the line after Conan drive (Leavy scored within a minute)

Disappointed with Tracys 2 bad throws on 48 & 58 mins. He is a fine player but has a lot of work to do on this throwing. Castres threw repeatedly to Cap Ortego at no 2 and won every ball with only the occasional throw to Cabellero

Re scrum very impressed by Castres no 18 Tussau who came on at half time & forced penalties for dropping against Healy 46 mins & JMcG 70 mins. Their no 17 Lazar also very good & had excellent strip of ball from VDF on 59 mins.

Have to admire our defence from 71 to 77 mins in particular when we were hanging on & Tracy, Gibson Park, Moloney, Toner giving away penalties before Mc Carthy ended his 59 second cameo (from 75:50 to 76:49) with a Yellow.

Ref Garner had poor game ignoring at least 3 high tackles/neck rolls in first half & the most bizarre of all was allowing only 4 secs advantage to Leinster (70:11 to 70:15) when Ringrose got the ball in attack then ignoring agressive Carminati slap in face on ROL before giving penalty to Castres that led to our most difficult period of the game coping with their maul & he allowed Castres 38 sec advantage from (74:12 to 74:50) between Gibson Park & Moloney high tackles.

Looks like Wasps at Home with winners playing Clermont or Toulon (away in our case)
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

I watched the ROL second half chip and gather a few times too and I agree there was no knock-on. Should have been a try under the sticks.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I reckon something happened because there was no great appeal from us, maybe a forward pass before it or something.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Cian Healy's form against both Montpellier and Castres was impressive. Destructive scrummaging and getting on the ball in open play. Penalty count down too. He is playing better than Jack Mc these days.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote:Cian Healy's form against both Montpellier and Castres was impressive. Destructive scrummaging and getting on the ball in open play. Penalty count down too. He is playing better than Jack Mc these days.
Oh dear...

Did you actually watch both games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I watched them and Healy was excellent in both.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I watched them and Healy was excellent in both.
I watched them twice and am in complete agreement.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Although that said, I got the impression that giving Church the ball for him to try and break the gain line was at times somewhat predictable and not carried out effectively enough.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

He's almost back to his best. I'd still have McGrath ahead of him but there's no concern with whoever starts. I suspect there'll be a good bit more rotation for Leinster for the rest of the season, injury permitting.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Don't agree he out performed McGrath by any stretch.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've been impressed by him in the last few games too, after a typically brainless performance against Munster at Xmas.
Jack Mc hasn't been as prominent as he was either, definitely a closer call now.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Judging form in the last two games is nonsensical, the first was a training run out against an embarrassment of a Montpelier "side", last Friday was a car crash played in freezing temperatures where nobody's skills stood up to cold finger syndrome

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Judging form in the last two games is nonsensical, the first was a training run out against an embarrassment of a Montpelier "side", last Friday was a car crash played in freezing temperatures where nobody's skills stood up to cold finger syndrome

Ah no, it's not 'nonsensical'.
It's not conclusive obviously, but it's not 'nonsensical' to look at our last two Euro games.
It just doesn't fit your argument.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It makes no sense ergo it is nonsensical, this is not complicated.

If you think it's valid to judge form in a training match then I just don't know wjat to say
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:It makes no sense ergo it is nonsensical, this is not complicated.

If you think it's valid to judge form in a training match then I just don't know wjat to say
Ah well it does make sense to look at our last two Euro games against big packs and measure how our LHs have gotten on. McGrath is in pole position, so there's no major judgements being made, but Healy has done well and looks to be coming back to a bit of form, which is great for both Ireland and Leinster. I'm not really sure why you don't want to admit that, but each to their own.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I don't think he was particularly impressive at all, he's been competent which is an improvement.

I do want to see him come back with a bang, and I've always been happy to change my views in the light of evidence, but the last two euro matches are far from compelling.

Two swallows and summer and all that good stuff...
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: If you think it's valid to judge form in a training match then I just don't know wjat to say
So just Wixfjord and Joe Schmidt then :D :D

Plus neither were training matches. Not by a long stretch. Montpellier were given a hard time by our front rows and tried hard to some effect at the beginning of both halves. Castres had two full sets of decent front rows out. Also you judge form on on current form not historical form so, yes, recent matches are kind of important for assessing form. Along with training.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Schmidt doesn't pick on form, he picks on familiarity with his system, ability to fit into the system and for specific attributes and skills.

They're different things.

backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Schmidt doesn't pick on form, he picks on familiarity with his system, ability to fit into the system and for specific attributes and skills.

They're different things.

Me thinks you doth protest too much…Jack!