A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: How many NIQ's next season?

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote: Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.

You obviously didn't watch beirne against saracens
Eh I did, the bit where I said he got concussion and Molony and Nagle have stolen a march on him! Behind Triggs and Toner there's a group of 4/5 guys who are all much of a muchness, horses for courses or whatever other cliche you want to stick in!

I did indeed watch Beirne, didn't look out of place, didn't do anything massively impressive. Good to see another Irish second row coming through elsewhere. He'd be a nice one to get, but not 'quality', and we wouldn't be 'much better off'.
Beirne doesn't look out place against the best team in Europe. Of course he'd improve leinster given how average our locks are below toner.
Triggs, Nagle, Ruddock and Molony have all had good games in Europe this season against serious packs.

I can see you've made up your mind on Nagle (or at least you did pre-season), so I'll bow out.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:
Triggs, Nagle, Ruddock and Molony have all had good games in Europe this season against serious packs.

I can see you've made up your mind on Nagle (or at least you did pre-season), so I'll bow out.
Well when he is playing A rugby behind all the other senior locks it would appear I'm not the only one not too impressed.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Well when he is playing A rugby behind all the other senior locks it would appear I'm not the only one not too impressed.
He's playing A rugby is he? Jaysus you hadn't said that!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Yes playing A rugby at 28 behind all the other senior players at his position.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

lol
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

With Toner going for the 6N and Triggs banned for a bit, we're going to get a rare chance to inspect the state of the spare locks.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote:With Toner going for the 6N and Triggs banned for a bit, we're going to get a rare chance to inspect the state of the spare locks.
For sure!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote:With Toner going for the 6N and Triggs banned for a bit, we're going to get a rare chance to inspect the state of the spare locks.
Triggs is only gone for three weeks though, and our next game is the 12th February. Unless I'm misinterpreting the suspension, doesn't that mean that the only match he will miss is tomorrow's game?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Thought 3 weeks meant three games but could be wrong. Such a shame ryan got injured.. would likely make have made his debut over the 6 nations
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
Triggs is only gone for three weeks though, and our next game is the 12th February. Unless I'm misinterpreting the suspension, doesn't that mean that the only match he will miss is tomorrow's game?
Three "game" weeks, as it were
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote:
Banned until Feb 20th
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.
You keep making this assertion that he is. But all of Nagle, Kearney and Molony have played with the A team this season. In fact Kearney and Nagle partnered each other in both B&I games last month. The last A game was the only time this season Nagle was in the 23 and none of our other senior locks were. That one off proves nothing. He doesn't have any less senior game time than Kearney or Maccer (at least not in any meaningful way) and has at times this season been ahead of both.

I know you like your drums, but you can stop beating this one. At least for the moment and until such a time as you can actually say the above with some form of evidence backing you up.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

at the start of the season he was ahead, now he is behind. Pretty simple. He is a 28 year old lock playing regular A rugby...
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

molloyjh wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.
You keep making this assertion that he is. But all of Nagle, Kearney and Molony have played with the A team this season. In fact Kearney and Nagle partnered each other in both B&I games last month. The last A game was the only time this season Nagle was in the 23 and none of our other senior locks were. That one off proves nothing. He doesn't have any less senior game time than Kearney or Maccer (at least not in any meaningful way) and has at times this season been ahead of both.

I know you like your drums, but you can stop beating this one. At least for the moment and until such a time as you can actually say the above with some form of evidence backing you up.
Yeah but the fact that none of the 3 have been good enough to nail down a place ahead of a 35 yr old Kiwi journeyman or an out of position Rhys Ruddock is objectively very worrying. If we want to win a Euro Cup next season, we need an NIQ second row. I think that's all there is to it.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:at the start of the season he was ahead, now he is behind. Pretty simple. He is a 28 year old lock playing regular A rugby...
As is Kearney it would seem. Look you've no interest in doing anything other than banging a drum regardless of its accuracy or validity. Good luck to you with that, but I've better things to do with my time than bang my head against a brick wall. Facts be damned, goreyguy has an opinion!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
goreyguy wrote:at the start of the season he was ahead, now he is behind. Pretty simple. He is a 28 year old lock playing regular A rugby...
As is Kearney it would seem. Look you've no interest in doing anything other than banging a drum regardless of its accuracy or validity. Good luck to you with that, but I've better things to do with my time than bang my head against a brick wall. Facts be damned, goreyguy has an opinion!
whats not accurate? Nagles position in the depth chart for locks?

I think i've been quite accurate.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote:
Bingo.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:Yeah but the fact that none of the 3 have been good enough to nail down a place ahead of a 35 yr old Kiwi journeyman or an out of position Rhys Ruddock is objectively very worrying. If we want to win a Euro Cup next season, we need an NIQ second row. I think that's all there is to it.
As I said earlier I think that comes down to how we're looking to play the game at the moment. Triggs has been excellent for us the last month or so because he suits that. I think Molony does as well, he just needs the added bulk. That's a very fixable thing and by next season he should be well on his way, if not there already. Kearney should be well able to develop into a decent back up in that regard but seems to be struggling. Whether that's as much down to injury disruption or what I don't know. Ignoring Maccer for now (as I reckon he's gone at the end of the season) Nagle is the least equipped guy to play how we want to play from what I can see. But the guy is only just back into pro rugby after a spell away. I wouldn't be on his back over that. He's a decent lock and has delivered really solid performances for us so far. That's exactly what you want from a squad player really. And if he can push on from there then great, if not then that's okay too. I can't imagine he's on big money and if younger lads like Ryan can pass him out then it's a win-win really.

In terms of winning a European Cup then there's definitely an argument to be made for a top class lock. But I'd still be happy enough to keep Triggs on for a year, invest some more in Molony and look to gradually bring Ryan through at the same time. Then we'd be looking at Toner, Molony and Ryan for 18/19 plus whatever other locks we have on the books (e.g. Kearney). I don't think Triggs weakens our pack that much that we can't compete for silverware, and he does offer more in the loose than most other locks in Europe.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
whats not accurate? Nagles position in the depth chart for locks?

I think i've been quite accurate.
We all know you do. But you thinking you are accurate, and you actually being accurate are two entirely different things.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

neiliog93 wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

Yeah but the fact that none of the 3 have been good enough to nail down a place ahead of a 35 yr old Kiwi journeyman or an out of position Rhys Ruddock is objectively very worrying. If we want to win a Euro Cup next season, we need an NIQ second row. I think that's all there is to it.
Never mind next season, what about this one!
Dont Panic!