How many NIQ's next season?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: How many NIQ's next season?

Post by offshorerules »

A second row for me, Triggs has done well this season but surely the legs must be beginning to fee the 36 years. One more year maybe but not 2 surely.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

offshorerules wrote:A second row for me, Triggs has done well this season but surely the legs must be beginning to fee the 36 years. One more year maybe but not 2 surely.
Yeah I can't see any scenario he gets two years.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ross Molony is listed as taller in Leinster programme but heavier than Triggs, who amazingly is listed as 6'7", in the same document.

Nagle certainly didn't play like a passenger in some our early season performances, notably v Castres (H): 33-15, v Connacht (H): 24-13, and v Scarlets (H): 38-29.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ross Molony is listed as taller in Leinster programme but heavier than Triggs, who amazingly is listed as 6'7", in the same document.

Nagle certainly didn't play like a passenger in some our early season performances, notably v Castres (H): 33-15, v Connacht (H): 24-13, and v Scarlets (H): 38-29.
Ross Molony is not taller than Triggs though or heavier.

Explain Nagles exile to the A team if he is such a good performer?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

goreyguy wrote:
offshorerules wrote:A second row for me, Triggs has done well this season but surely the legs must be beginning to fee the 36 years. One more year maybe but not 2 surely.
Yeah I can't see any scenario he gets two years.
If they wouldn't offer Nathan Hines more than a one-year deal it'd be fairly surprising if Triggs got two alright, especially as Triggs is nearly a year older than Hines was in 2011.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Very odd situation. It's one of those positions that I reckon the IRFU would be well within their rights to back the players we have and for once the fans would actually get on board with it, but Leo/Lancaster seemingly not rating the guys we have changes things. I'd be happy to go with who we have regardless of whether we lose Triggs or not.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Height/Weights according to squad submitted to european rugby:

Toner - 6'11 120kg
Triggs - 6'7 118kg
McCarthy - 6'4 115kg
Nagle - 6'6 113kg
Molony - 6'5 108kg
Kearney - 6'5 107kg
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think it's wrong to say Nagle is a passenger compared with Mike Mac, Mick K and Moloney, he has put in better performances than all of these this season. The first two in particular have been poor.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I think Nagle has looked pretty decent tbh. Better than I expected given his absence from the game. However one thing that most of our options lack and that Triggs has is an ability in the loose. Look at the wrap around between Triggs and Dev against Ulster that created the space for SOB down the left wing for example. He's really comfortable on the ball. Molony is the closest we have to that kind of lock outside of Dev but he's just not big enough yet. The others just don't seem to have the skills to implement the game we're looking to implement.

People talking about Ryan are being a bit premature. In the only A game he played this season he looked well out of his depth physically. I've great belief that he'll get to where he needs to be, but I'm not at all sure he'll be there next season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:I think Nagle has looked pretty decent tbh. Better than I expected given his absence from the game. However one thing that most of our options lack and that Triggs has is an ability in the loose. Look at the wrap around between Triggs and Dev against Ulster that created the space for SOB down the left wing for example. He's really comfortable on the ball. Molony is the closest we have to that kind of lock outside of Dev but he's just not big enough yet. The others just don't seem to have the skills to implement the game we're looking to implement.

People talking about Ryan are being a bit premature. In the only A game he played this season he looked well out of his depth physically. I've great belief that he'll get to where he needs to be, but I'm not at all sure he'll be there next season.
You were also saying Adam Byrne wasn't upto much either based on pre season games, so let's not use one game in isolation as a predictor.

Ryan, will be ready for senior rugby next season, assuming he is recovers in time for a full pre season etc. Probably not for europe but I wouldn't rule it out.

If Nagle was as good as some people say, why is he playing A rugby behind Kearney/Molony?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:
molloyjh wrote:I think Nagle has looked pretty decent tbh. Better than I expected given his absence from the game. However one thing that most of our options lack and that Triggs has is an ability in the loose. Look at the wrap around between Triggs and Dev against Ulster that created the space for SOB down the left wing for example. He's really comfortable on the ball. Molony is the closest we have to that kind of lock outside of Dev but he's just not big enough yet. The others just don't seem to have the skills to implement the game we're looking to implement.

You were also saying Adam Byrne wasn't upto much either based on pre season games, so let's not use one game in isolation as a predictor.

Ryan, will be ready for senior rugby next season, assuming he is recovers in time for a full pre season etc. Probably not for europe but I wouldn't rule it out.

If Nagle was as good as some people say, why is he playing A rugby behind Kearney/Molony?
It's as well I said "I'm not sure" as opposed to "he definitely won't be" then really isn't it.

I've held my hands up on Byrne already. He didn't impress in pre-season but fair play to him since then, he has pushed on.

As for Nagle, I think I might have actually addressed that point with the majority of the content within my post (the bit you ignored that was between the things you wanted to disagree with).
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

It's as well I said "I'm not sure" as opposed to "he definitely won't be" then really isn't it.

I've held my hands up on Byrne already. He didn't impress in pre-season but fair play to him since then, he has pushed on.

As for Nagle, I think I might have actually addressed that point with the majority of the content within my post (the bit you ignored that was between the things you wanted to disagree with).
So nagle is playing A rugby because he isn't as good as Kearney/Molony. That's all you had to say.

Bizarrely Leinster would be much better off with the current version of Tadhg Beirne.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

goreyguy wrote:So nagle is playing A rugby because he isn't as good as Kearney/Molony. That's all you had to say.
Well if you spent as much time and effort reading posts and trying to understand them as you do finding ways to argue with them you'd realise that this simply isn't true at all. I never compared Nagle to Kearney or Molony. I actually compared Triggs to everyone else, saying that he possesses skills that the others do not, hence his selection above everyone else. After all few others are getting much of a look in these days other than him. But you were so focused on finding things to nit pick in the minority bits of my post that you've utterly missed the point of the majority of it.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

You claimed you addressed why nagle was playing A rugby behind molony/kearney in an earlier post...obviously not
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

None of Mick K, Molony, Nagle or Mike Mac are much ahead of each other overall. It's been chopping and changing all season. Nagle has probably played the best of the lot earlier this year, Molony has been out for a while, while Mick K and Mike M have both been pretty disappointing. Molony and Ruddock seem to have stolen a march on the rest since mid December.

It's a bit premature to say we'd be 'much better off' with Tadhg Beirne.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:None of Mick K, Molony, Nagle or Mike Mac are really ahead of each other. Nagle has probably played the best of the lot earlier this year, Molony has been out for a while, while Mick K and Mike M have both been pretty disappointing. Molony and Ruddock seem to have stolen a march on the rest since mid December.

Only nagle has been playing A rugby lately. It's clear enough molony is ahead of him.

Of course we would be much better off with this version of beirne in the squad. We are struggling for quality at lock.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:None of Mick K, Molony, Nagle or Mike Mac are really ahead of each other. Nagle has probably played the best of the lot earlier this year, Molony has been out for a while, while Mick K and Mike M have both been pretty disappointing. Molony and Ruddock seem to have stolen a march on the rest since mid December.

Only nagle has been playing A rugby lately. It's clear enough molony is ahead of him.

Of course we would be much better off with this version of beirne in the squad. We are struggling for quality at lock.
Nagle got a concussion in the Munster game, since then Ruddock and Molony have stolen a march on him. However, neither have really done that much. Overall, Nagle has played the best of the lot at the start of the year. It's much of a muchness really between the chasing pack though.

Beirne isn't an upgrade on anything we have in the squad at the moment. He's done ok for Scarlets and he's a big lump (not 'quality'), but we wouldn't be 'much better off'.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Nagle got a concussion in the Munster game, since then Ruddock and Molony have stolen a march on him. However, neither have really done that much. Overall, Nagle has played the best of the lot at the start of the year. It's much of a muchness really between the chasing pack though.

Beirne isn't an upgrade on anything we have in the squad at the moment. He's done ok for Scarlets and he's a big lump (not 'quality'), but we wouldn't be 'much better off'.
Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.

You obviously didn't watch beirne against saracens
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote: Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.

Eh I did, the bit where I said he got concussion and Molony and Nagle have stolen a march on him! Behind Triggs and Toner there's a group of 4/5 guys who are all much of a muchness, horses for courses or whatever other cliche you want to stick in!

I did indeed watch Beirne, didn't look out of place, didn't do anything massively impressive. Good to see another Irish second row coming through elsewhere. He'd be a nice one to get, but not 'quality', and we wouldn't be 'much better off'.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:
goreyguy wrote: Still not addressing why nagle is playing A rugby behind the others.

Eh I did, the bit where I said he got concussion and Molony and Nagle have stolen a march on him! Behind Triggs and Toner there's a group of 4/5 guys who are all much of a muchness, horses for courses or whatever other cliche you want to stick in!

I did indeed watch Beirne, didn't look out of place, didn't do anything massively impressive. Good to see another Irish second row coming through elsewhere. He'd be a nice one to get, but not 'quality', and we wouldn't be 'much better off'.
Beirne doesn't look out place against the best team in Europe. Of course he'd improve leinster given how average our locks are below toner.