RIP Prof. Arthur Tanner

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

RIP Prof. Arthur Tanner

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really sad to hear this news this morning. He was a great servant to Leinster rugby and I remember he played a big part in Bloodgate which had a lasting effect on the game.
molloyjh
Mullet

Re: RIP Prof. Arthur Tanner

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Really sad to hear this news this morning. He was a great servant to Leinster rugby and I remember he played a big part in Bloodgate which had a lasting effect on the game.
Also was directly responsible for getting Dr Phil onboard. Contepomi wasn't sure about coming here and wanted to continue his medical education so Tanner brought him into the RCSI and convinced him to do his medical degree there while playing for Leinster. Seemed to have a really great relationship with anyone he knew. Very sad.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Very sad to hear this, an absolute gentleman. Leinster were very lucky to have him.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

My Mam worked for him for years and when he first heard I was going to Leinster games, he gave her a Leinster training top to give to me. It was my first ever Leinster jersey and I still have it all these years later. A accomplished surgeon, a wonderful servant to Leinster rugby and most of all a lovely gentleman.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

What incredibly sad news. "Mr Doctor Professor Arthur Tanner" as he was known in our house will be hugely missed.

On several occasions I asked Leinster Rugby about the possibility of introducing a Hall of Fame/Legend of the Game type award with him as the inaugural recipient. I really wish they had :cry:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Had the pleasure to meet him in Marseilles for the Toulon semi final.

Shared a few beers with us prior to the game and was the most down to earth person you could wish to meet.

RIP
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

One of the good guys, thoughts with his family. RIP.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Really saddened to read this thread this morning.

I remember many years ago I ended up with blisters and cuts on my hand after a match. Professor Tanner passed me saw my hand and I asked for some plasters. He took me into the dressing room got one of the physios to give him the first aid bag. He sat me on a bed type thing and proceeded to patch me up. Some of the players were slagging him and he showed them the blood from my hand and questioned their commitment as most had no injuries or marks on them whilst commending me for blood sweat and blisters. Well needless to say I floated out of there with the happiest biggest grin on my face.

You may get the impression that I was child when this happened but no I was in my early thirties.

It was not just at Leinster he was held in high esteem. I went on a tour of the RCSI building on Stephens Green 2 years ago and when we were in the Meeting room the tour guide pointed out the chair that Professor Tanner sat in. Unfortunately I was not in it at the time but I did get a little go before we left. I spoke to the guide at the end of the tour and I told him my anecdote and he said that fitted in with his impression of the man. He said he was extremely popular and had time for everyone.

My thoughts are with his Family and Friends.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

Remember him going to the aid of an opposition player in an ERC game a few seasons back when his own people seemed not to notice his difficulty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

IanD wrote:Really saddened to read this thread this morning.

I remember many years ago I ended up with blisters and cuts on my hand after a match. Professor Tanner passed me saw my hand and I asked for some plasters. He took me into the dressing room got one of the physios to give him the first aid bag. He sat me on a bed type thing and proceeded to patch me up. Some of the players were slagging him and he showed them the blood from my hand and questioned their commitment as most had no injuries or marks on them whilst commending me for blood sweat and blisters. Well needless to say I floated out of there with the happiest biggest grin on my face.

Great story Ian

Lovely tribute here from Liam Toland

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2961518
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Lovely read, Ian D.
Speaking as a spectator - when observing him deal with players and officials, he always came across as firm, authoritative and a total gentleman.
Condolences to all who knew him.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Donny B. wrote:
IanD wrote:Really saddened to read this thread this morning.

Great story Ian

Lovely tribute here from Liam Toland

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2961518
Lovely piece. There was always something reassuring seeing him on the sideline.