Leinster v Embra Friday 7.35 RDS TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Embra Friday 7.35 RDS TG4

Post by sunshiner1 »

by FourMasters

Am I dreaming in thinking that McCarthy used to switch between flanker and lock in his early career, and would have been the more natural choice to shunt to the backrow?
Yep he used to play No. 8 a good bit in his earlier days.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by FourMasters

Am I dreaming in thinking that McCarthy used to switch between flanker and lock in his early career, and would have been the more natural choice to shunt to the backrow?
Yep he used to play No. 8 a good bit in his earlier days.
He played mostly for Newcastle at flanker, but he aint so young no more

Imagine the OUTRAGE if Leavy were to be picked ahead of POM for Wales :lol:
Joe might do it as he needs/likes the more genuine 7 cover but I would imagine it will be POM
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Leavy saved that game for us. He, plus the halftime bollocking, got us back on the front foot. Was looking forward to Reid and Rory back in the centre, shame about ROL and I hope he's ok.

We were trying too hard to be great in the first half and - through forcing stuff and making errors- Embra were comfortably in touch with us just by being good.

Molony and Kearney were both fairly poor I thought, though Molony has the excuse of the position switch. Our lock conveyor isn't as healthy as we maybe thought.

Luke needs to sort out his mechanics. It's a simple as that. This "gather step" he takes is a momentum killer and he won't make the next level unless he corrects it. It's like a college QB trying to make it in the NFL with a hitch in his throw. Many have tried, all have failed.

He hs all the tools bar that one, all the tricks, vision and leadership. But that one is a must-have.

Good experience for Ross Byrne. It wasn't the smoothest but he didn't have the crutches of a full strength team and a humming Luke inside him or Henshaw outside him. Had more responsibility on his shoulders and will learn from his mixed bag I'm sure.

I thought Zane was superb, but I wish the guy would wrap up in the tackle just once.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Yeah that game had me thinking that Zane is probably exactly the sort of player we need in the backs corp. next year. If he wasn't so prone to disappearing.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Peg Leg wrote:Yeah that game had me thinking that Zane is probably exactly the sort of player we need in the backs corp. next year. If he wasn't so prone to disappearing.
Zane is pretty much always consistent - as in good - at 15. It's when he's played in other positions, that his performances have left something to be desired, IMO.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

riocard911 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Yeah that game had me thinking that Zane is probably exactly the sort of player we need in the backs corp. next year. If he wasn't so prone to disappearing.
Zane is pretty much always consistent - as in good - at 15. It's when he's played in other positions, that his performances have left something to be desired, IMO.
Zanes performance might have a cynic think that he's deliberately embellishing his highlights reel in advance of contract negotiations. Good to see tho.

We desperately needed an Isa on the pitch to bring order to the chaos but we got away with it.

The Adam Byrne fan club resembled the front row of a 1 Direction concert, where did they come from?

I also liked the new squad intro on screen as the team runs out (Terry who?); Thunderstruck was getting old.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote: Absolutely, really happy with the win. The first 25-26 minutes was played at a staggeringly fast pace with the ball in play for very extended periods, and you could see very fit guys like Noel Reid and Luke McGrath gasping for the breath at times. An unusual sort of opening for a game in February.

I thought that Edinburgh looked well-coached and well organised in the first half, with some very impressive forwards in Ben Toolis and Magnus Bradbury. Our defense to keep them out deserves a ton of praise, because we were tested by practically every method - back and across the pitch, close in, from depth – and we showed good organisation, good scramble and loads of willingness and determination.

Dan Leavy really took the game by the scruff of the neck when he came on. It was a first rate performance from him, one that might see him pushed into contention for the Irish squad for the rest of the Six Nations. He has always been a massive talent and is really making a name for himself this season with an extended run of games; I think he has featured in 18 of 21 competitive matches this season.

Jack Conan was quieter than I expected in the first half; I was a little bit disappointed in his performance, to be frank. He came into the game well in the second half, but we need a big linebreak from him in the first forty and I was a bit surprised that he couldn't deliver. In fairness to him, his defensive efforts were excellent.

I thought none of our second rows really pushed their respective cases forward. Bit of a pass for Ross Molony playing out of position, but none of them bossed the collisions, or were able to get their hands free through contact, or were putting a load of pressure on the opposition lineout, or were breaking up mauls etc. It's not like they shirked work or lacked effort [all of them in double-figures for tackles] but if you're looking for points of difference between the second rows this season, you can see why Triggs has got the nod since December – his handling abilities make him stand out. I can imagine James Ryan coming in and pushing past all of them next season, because he's a Jonny Gray-type talent.

Very impressed with James Tracy, who was a bundle of energy for eighty minutes. Thought that Luke McGrath got through a savage amount of work, both in attack and defense, and Noel Reid was quietly effective ... he's growing into a senior player this season, which is something I didn't think would happen, or at least was in danger of not happening this season.

Happy with Zane's performance, thought that he showed a lot of physical intensity and led by example. Barry Daly still has a lot to learn about ball security [to use an Americanism] – he gives the ball away too often and too cheaply, which blemished a good attacking game from him.

What do you say about Joey? Kicking wasn't great, tried to do too much himself, but he's so exciting to watch and came out of the game with two good tries.
Great summary Hugo. Further comments:

Zane has shown more than glimpses of becoming a real senior player who steps up when needed. He made a couple of bit hits, which apart from being crowd pleasing were vitally important at the time. His ball carrying and aggression in possesion are both skills which could become more regular features of his performances.

Barry Daly and Adam Byrne need the sort of intensive sessions with high balls, both receiving and chasing, that the Ospreys went through in preparation for their Munster visit. They were exemplary in this area. I have become a big fan of Barry Daly's carrying and running. It's a joy to see 2 big attacking wingers with good feet and real pace. Adam has developed a great ability to carry diagonally in counter-attack until he finds the weak shoulder or hesitent defender.

Barry Daly also runs well against opponents in counter-attack and frequently breaks the first line. Yes, he needs more work on "cherishing the ball", but Wow, what acceleration and pace he brings to his attack.

Reid and RO'L have developed a real partnership in midfield. Coupled with Joey, they will threaten any team.

Ross Byrne had a terrible night with his kicking, but made some excellent flat passes taking the ball to the line. Sam Davies gave a masterclass against Munster of this art and there would be a lot of merit in both Joey and Ross studying exactly how he acheives this. Essentially, he worries a fast D line, because he takes the ball so close to them, that they have almost stopped, or risk over-running the guys they were going to tackle. For Ospreys, this meant that the attackers could slightly change their angle, very late, and cause havoc in the defence.

JGP had the sort of cameo that convinced this watcher earlier in the season, that he would become our No 1. He provides such a good fast service to his first receiver that Leinster inevitably attack more fluently when he is at SH. In addition he selects the right receiver in Red Zone attacked and instinctively give passes on the money. His pass late in the game for Daly's second try was a peach.

Mike Bent provided one of his best displays from the time he arrived. He is now certainly more than an auxiliary Tight-head. His maul work has improved markedly during this season and he has now surely secured the number two THP slot.

Peter Dooley and Jon Treacy gave two more excellent hard-working performances. Brian Byrne took his chance on the flank and his acceleration and pace in taking his try suggest he's a natural successor to Nugget Cronin in due course. Andrew Porter continues to amaze with his raw strength. However, he should be continually reminded as a LHP that his legs are the biggest muscles in his body and should be used more than his arms and shoulders in scrummaging. He has the capacity to drive back most THPs instead of trying to wrestle them to a penalty concession.

Totally ad idem with Hugo's assessment of our second rows. Leo needs to concentrate on the individual points of each of the three on display and give them a tight check-list of their work-ons. Each of them has strengths but none of them showed their good points often enough on Friday to have jumped the rankings.

Finally to our back-row. Serious misfortune to Dom Ryan & JVDF who both missed the opportunity of a big game and opened the door for a superb exhibition by Dan Leavy. No exaggeration to proclaim this as the 'tour de force' of the season so far. Jack Conan was merely good, particularly in the second half, and he continues to look like a natural successor to Jamie, in both Blue and Green.

All in all, this was a curious game. Edinburgh, for the second week in a row, looked far better than their league position when they were going well. Leinster, IMO, possibly took too big a risk in their selection. Talents rarely substitute for teamwork and the first half performance showed the lack of team and unit familiarity. Combined with injuries, the lack of teamwork militated against the sort of effectiveness that Leinster will need in every League game from here in.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree that Zane's defence was brilliant but I have to say that him putting in that kind of effort just made me think that he was playing for a contract.

Reid really was excellent in that regard too and I thought he really bossed our defensive line at times. Never thought I'd be saying that but he seems to be a leader now too, there's a steel to his game that has never been there before, even when he was playing really well and earned his cap.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Absolutely, really happy with the win. The first 25-26 minutes was played at a staggeringly fast pace with the ball in play for very extended periods, and you could see very fit guys like Noel Reid and Luke McGrath gasping for the breath at times. An unusual sort of opening for a game in February.

I thought that Edinburgh looked well-coached and well organised in the first half, with some very impressive forwards in Ben Toolis and Magnus Bradbury. Our defense to keep them out deserves a ton of praise, because we were tested by practically every method - back and across the pitch, close in, from depth – and we showed good organisation, good scramble and loads of willingness and determination.

Dan Leavy really took the game by the scruff of the neck when he came on. It was a first rate performance from him, one that might see him pushed into contention for the Irish squad for the rest of the Six Nations. He has always been a massive talent and is really making a name for himself this season with an extended run of games; I think he has featured in 18 of 21 competitive matches this season.

Jack Conan was quieter than I expected in the first half; I was a little bit disappointed in his performance, to be frank. He came into the game well in the second half, but we need a big linebreak from him in the first forty and I was a bit surprised that he couldn't deliver. In fairness to him, his defensive efforts were excellent.

I thought none of our second rows really pushed their respective cases forward. Bit of a pass for Ross Molony playing out of position, but none of them bossed the collisions, or were able to get their hands free through contact, or were putting a load of pressure on the opposition lineout, or were breaking up mauls etc. It's not like they shirked work or lacked effort [all of them in double-figures for tackles] but if you're looking for points of difference between the second rows this season, you can see why Triggs has got the nod since December – his handling abilities make him stand out. I can imagine James Ryan coming in and pushing past all of them next season, because he's a Jonny Gray-type talent.

Very impressed with James Tracy, who was a bundle of energy for eighty minutes. Thought that Luke McGrath got through a savage amount of work, both in attack and defense, and Noel Reid was quietly effective ... he's growing into a senior player this season, which is something I didn't think would happen, or at least was in danger of not happening this season.

Happy with Zane's performance, thought that he showed a lot of physical intensity and led by example. Barry Daly still has a lot to learn about ball security [to use an Americanism] – he gives the ball away too often and too cheaply, which blemished a good attacking game from him.

What do you say about Joey? Kicking wasn't great, tried to do too much himself, but he's so exciting to watch and came out of the game with two good tries.
Great summary Hugo. Further comments:

Zane has shown more than glimpses of becoming a real senior player who steps up when needed. He made a couple of bit hits, which apart from being crowd pleasing were vitally important at the time. His ball carrying and aggression in possesion are both skills which could become more regular features of his performances.

Barry Daly and Adam Byrne need the sort of intensive sessions with high balls, both receiving and chasing, that the Ospreys went through in preparation for their Munster visit. They were exemplary in this area. I have become a big fan of Barry Daly's carrying and running. It's a joy to see 2 big attacking wingers with good feet and real pace. Adam has developed a great ability to carry diagonally in counter-attack until he finds the weak shoulder or hesitent defender.

Barry Daly also runs well against opponents in counter-attack and frequently breaks the first line. Yes, he needs more work on "cherishing the ball", but Wow, what acceleration and pace he brings to his attack.

Reid and RO'L have developed a real partnership in midfield. Coupled with Joey, they will threaten any team.

Ross Byrne had a terrible night with his kicking, but made some excellent flat passes taking the ball to the line. Sam Davies gave a masterclass against Munster of this art and there would be a lot of merit in both Joey and Ross studying exactly how he acheives this. Essentially, he worries a fast D line, because he takes the ball so close to them, that they have almost stopped, or risk over-running the guys they were going to tackle. For Ospreys, this meant that the attackers could slightly change their angle, very late, and cause havoc in the defence.

JGP had the sort of cameo that convinced this watcher earlier in the season, that he would become our No 1. He provides such a good fast service to his first receiver that Leinster inevitably attack more fluently when he is at SH. In addition he selects the right receiver in Red Zone attacked and instinctively give passes on the money. His pass late in the game for Daly's second try was a peach.

Mike Bent provided one of his best displays from the time he arrived. He is now certainly more than an auxiliary Tight-head. His maul work has improved markedly during this season and he has now surely secured the number two THP slot.

Peter Dooley and Jon Treacy gave two more excellent hard-working performances. Brian Byrne took his chance on the flank and his acceleration and pace in taking his try suggest he's a natural successor to Nugget Cronin in due course. Andrew Porter continues to amaze with his raw strength. However, he should be continually reminded as a LHP that his legs are the biggest muscles in his body and should be used more than his arms and shoulders in scrummaging. He has the capacity to drive back most THPs instead of trying to wrestle them to a penalty concession.

Totally ad idem with Hugo's assessment of our second rows. Leo needs to concentrate on the individual points of each of the three on display and give them a tight check-list of their work-ons. Each of them has strengths but none of them showed their good points often enough on Friday to have jumped the rankings.

Finally to our back-row. Serious misfortune to Dom Ryan & JVDF who both missed the opportunity of a big game and opened the door for a superb exhibition by Dan Leavy. No exaggeration to proclaim this as the 'tour de force' of the season so far. Jack Conan was merely good, particularly in the second half, and he continues to look like a natural successor to Jamie, in both Blue and Green.

All in all, this was a curious game. Edinburgh, for the second week in a row, looked far better than their league position when they were going well. Leinster, IMO, possibly took too big a risk in their selection. Talents rarely substitute for teamwork and the first half performance showed the lack of team and unit familiarity. Combined with injuries, the lack of teamwork militated against the sort of effectiveness that Leinster will need in every League game from here in.
Jack Conan - Are you for real man?
For starters you didn't even spell his name right.
It's spelt C.J. Stander ffs. :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.