Fuel the 4th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Fuel the 4th

Post by molloyjh »

Am I the only one who thinks that the new marketing campaign from Leinster is really poorly thought out?

https://www.facebook.com/leinsterrugby/ ... 099955240/

The glow of glory awaits, there's a star in the making.

It almost comes across as badly as the English GS ad in 2011. I know the intention is to show the provinces ambition etc, but it comes across like they expect to win the ECC this season. It certainly is generating an expectation and a hype that I'm not sure is quite earned just yet. And could certainly be thrown back in our faces before very long.

Saying this team wants to win a European Cup and this team will win a European Cup are two very different statements.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Fuel the 4th

Post by neiliog93 »

If they didn't have the fourth star appearing at the end it would be ok. That's definitely too much and a little arrogant, a little Hollywood maybe.

Having said that, they have to generate a bit of hype and most of what the video says is true. I think it would be fair to say that there's been a huge improvement this season across a broad range of parameters including consistency of performances, results, style of play, young players coming through and the general feel of positivity and a 'winning culture' being back again.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Its Marketing. 99% of it MUST be total bollix or it doesn't count. At least I assume that's what they teach in Marketing school.

Do not mistake this for any kind of statement from the team itself.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

I enjoyed the video. It is clearly made to sell tickets for the QF. We need the stadium to be full so anything that helps is OK with me.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jesus, I wish we had that kind of budget for Fever in the Aviva!

I like it though, its a really nice video.

Plus, I really want that fourth title, really f%~king want it.
I have Bumbleflex
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:Jesus, I wish we had that kind of budget for Fever in the Aviva!

We all do. And I love the ambition that the guys have. I know this ad isn't reflective of the team, but that they are setting their sights on the highest target and not settling for anything less is very positive.

There's just something about the ad itself that's almost, as neil put it, a bit arrogant. Now as Logorrhea said it is marketing, so there's that. But if it takes us a couple of years to get that star this ad looks increasingly more ridiculous as time goes on. If we get knocked out against Wasps it looks properly daft.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

molloyjh wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Jesus, I wish we had that kind of budget for Fever in the Aviva!

We all do. And I love the ambition that the guys have. I know this ad isn't reflective of the team, but that they are setting their sights on the highest target and not settling for anything less is very positive.

There's just something about the ad itself that's almost, as neil put it, a bit arrogant. Now as Logorrhea said it is marketing, so there's that. But if it takes us a couple of years to get that star this ad looks increasingly more ridiculous as time goes on. If we get knocked out against Wasps it looks properly daft.
it's certainly arrogant.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

molloyjh wrote:

Not really, its important to note that there is no fourth star in the video - there is the place being created for it certainly, a placeholder, which is what the quarter final has done. It has given us the opportunity.
Last edited by Dave Cahill on February 16th, 2017, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote: it's certainly arrogant.
Its arrogant to say that we want to win a fourth European Cup is it? Surely thats the point of the whole season is it not?
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I thought it was great.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I do too - but with reservations. It's obvious, they don't teach anything in marketing school or in the DCU communications course about taboo.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I like it, I like the ambition. As for stuff getting thrown in our faces, I think as Leinster Fans we know a lot gets thrown our direction , merited or not. So I couldn't care less.

I believe the team think that they can win the cup this year, I'd be pissed if they were just going through the motions. I believe they can win the cup this year because they have created the opportunity to win it this year, what else would you think when you are in a home Q final ?

At a recent questions and answers session between Leinster coaching panel and supporters a presentation was introduced by Leo, and presented by Lancaster. The clear aim presented was that its the clubs ambition to become the 1st side to win 5 European cups, a slide in the presentation showed and image of the crest with 3 stars turning into 5 stars.

I know we should not confuse marketing with team ambitions, but I have no problem with this campaign.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm not a fan of it at all personally, but I suppose it's not really for us curmudgeony ultras. And anything that builds the brand and supporter base has to be good.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:Not really, its important to note that there is no fourth star in the video - there is the place being created for it certainly, a placeholder, which is what the quarter final has done. It has given us the opportunity.
The statement that there is one in the making inherently states that one is coming though, no?

Changing the tagline to "Is there a star in the making?" while leaving the video as is still shows the ambition without setting it as an expectation. You can build a campaign around that then by interviewing players about their ambition to add the 4th star etc. You can still generate the same hype without making a noose for yourself if you get me.

It may seem like pedantics, but I think there's a pretty big distinction between making an ambition known and stating that the ambition will become reality.
Last edited by molloyjh on February 16th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Much ado about now't.....its called ambition....we have it as we should have it....
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

It's the long game.

We intend on getting the 4th star. The extra income from a sell out quarter will help us achieve that to no end which is clearly what the ad is targeting
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't see much arrogance but I feel like the timing is off for anything Star Wars themed. That was out before Christmas and I'm going to guess that not many people have actually made the intended connection.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't see much arrogance but I feel like the timing is off for anything Star Wars themed. That was out before Christmas and I'm going to guess that not many people have actually made the intended connection.
I'm a bit of a SW nerd, and I haven't made the connection..... :oops:

What is it?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Star...feel the force/fuel the 4th...

Unless I've made a massive leap :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Star...feel the force/fuel the 4th...

Unless I've made a massive leap :lol:
Ties in with "may the 4th be with you"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk