A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

Post by Oldschool »

errlloyd wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrnes body language was brilliant. Celebrating tries and urging the forwards on for the last push over try.
As a very jealous Connacht fan I'm not sure how he's not getting more praise/hype. A 21 year old out half coming from nowhere to lead the team to European victories is a big deal, no matter how dominant a pack he plays behind.

His flat passing game is great and he must have set some sort of Pro12 record for kicks leading directly to tries already

Ross Byrne is class going forward, but he can't lift the team when wer're down. He doesn't have a moment of magic in him like Carbery and he can't boss the tactics like Sexton. The most important skill for an outhalf to possess is the skill required to win a game his team are losing, at an international level Sexton can do it, and IMO Jackson can't. Ross Byrne struggled in Castre, Munster and last season away to Scarlets. I'd like to see him actually drag the team to victory before I get proper excited.
He needs to communicate more. He might still be a little "shy" about screaming directions at seniors players.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

jimbobjoe wrote:He's still a kid. Give him the experience and he'll learn how to do it. Same goes for Carbery and game management; these things take time.

You're absolutely right! To be fair I am doing just that, I haven't written him off and I don't think he's the second messiah. He's exceptional when we're winning and we're not giving him many opportunities to learn about what its like losing!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

errlloyd wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrnes body language was brilliant. Celebrating tries and urging the forwards on for the last push over try.
As a very jealous Connacht fan I'm not sure how he's not getting more praise/hype. A 21 year old out half coming from nowhere to lead the team to European victories is a big deal, no matter how dominant a pack he plays behind.

His flat passing game is great and he must have set some sort of Pro12 record for kicks leading directly to tries already

Ross Byrne is class going forward, but he can't lift the team when wer're down. He doesn't have a moment of magic in him like Carbery and he can't boss the tactics like Sexton. The most important skill for an outhalf to possess is the skill required to win a game his team are losing, at an international level Sexton can do it, and IMO Jackson can't. Ross Byrne struggled in Castre, Munster and last season away to Scarlets. I'd like to see him actually drag the team to victory before I get proper excited.
His kicking from hand, especially his cross field kicking, has been really good. He could yet develop an O'Gara style moment of magic with kicks to the corner.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Laighin Break wrote: His kicking from hand, especially his cross field kicking, has been really good. He could yet develop an O'Gara style moment of magic with kicks to the corner.
http://www.pro12rugby.com/powered-by-opta/

He is joint second at 8 for try assists this season.

Surely at least 4 of them have been from the boot?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Only just saw Rossy's 40m trundle up the middle and then a slick offload, god the man has a skill set that's only now emerging. And then saw Finlay Bealham sidestep the Treviso FB for a try. Down with this sort of thing, Irish TH's should stick to their knitting :D
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Laighin Break wrote:His kicking from hand, especially his cross field kicking, has been really good. He could yet develop an O'Gara style moment of magic with kicks to the corner.
I've missed about 3 games but from what I saw up until that, his kick pass is of a very high level. I am not sure the same is true of his general kicking from hand. He was - at best - unconvincing in Thomond Park: missing touches and kicking straight to their back three.

We are very lucky to have two such talented prospects at 10 and so young. They are both surely ahead of the curve of any of their homegrown predecessors: Sexton, McKinley and Madigan were surely all a few years older before they started being central squad players?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:His kicking from hand, especially his cross field kicking, has been really good. He could yet develop an O'Gara style moment of magic with kicks to the corner.
I've missed about 3 games but from what I saw up until that, his kick pass is of a very high level. I am not sure the same is true of his general kicking from hand. He was - at best - unconvincing in Thomond Park: missing touches and kicking straight to their back three.

We are very lucky to have two such talented prospects at 10 and so young. They are both surely ahead of the curve of any of their homegrown predecessors: Sexton, McKinley and Madigan were surely all a few years older before they started being central squad players?
Someone can supply more precise figures but definitely yes on Sexton and Madigan (as a ten)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote:

I'd say they're about a year ahead of Sexton. It's actually easy enough to compare as he was born 10 years before them both, and 2007-2008 would really have been the first season where he got a good few games in.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Laighin Break wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

I'd say they're about a year ahead of Sexton. It's actually easy enough to compare as he was born 10 years before them both, and 2007-2008 would really have been the first season where he got a good few games in.
My recollection is that Sexton made his debut away to Munster Christmas 2006, which wouldn't be too far away from Carberry and Byrne on the metric outlined above. The difference is that they are getting a good run of games.
A proud Winsome Fluter
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
My recollection is that Sexton made his debut away to Munster Christmas 2006, which wouldn't be too far away from Carberry and Byrne on the metric outlined above. The difference is that they are getting a good run of games.
That was his full debut. Pretty sure he made a substitute appearance off the bench the season before, possibly at home to Borders.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
That was his full debut. Pretty sure he made a substitute appearance off the bench the season before, possibly at home to Borders.
You are correct sir - the night that Felipe celebrated the birth of his daughter with what can only be described as a tour de force performance after being up for 22 hours straight
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brenno wrote:Only just saw Rossy's 40m trundle up the middle and then a slick offload, god the man has a skill set that's only now emerging. And then saw Finlay Bealham sidestep the Treviso FB for a try. Down with this sort of thing, Irish TH's should stick to their knitting :D
It's very difficult to "trundle" 40ms up the middle of a rugby pitch and not get caught long before you make a 40ms gain.
You might do it sprinting but trundling?
Racing up the middle maybe?
BTW was it actually uphill?
Great piece of footage - It's a collector's item.
Top ten moment Leinster Rugby Season 2016/2017.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:
cormac wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
You are correct sir - the night that Felipe celebrated the birth of his daughter with what can only be described as a tour de force performance after being up for 22 hours straight
I remember that Borders game, and Felipes tour de force. Did we put 60 points on them that night?

Alas, I have absolutely no memory of Sexton making his debut that evening, which slightly surprises me as I would have been conscious of him for a few years at that stage. Thanks for the clarification though.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dev also made his debut that night, perhaps his gargantuan size combined with your low tolerance for alcohol blocked him from view
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Sexton played one senior game in 05-06 season and 3 in 06-07, which is why I would consider his 07-08 season to be more similar to this season for Carbs and Byrne.
Byrne also played a couple of games last year.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:Dev also made his debut that night, perhaps his gargantuan size combined with your low tolerance for alcohol blocked him from view
Dev may have been tall, but he was as skinny as a rake back then - he wouldn't have blocked a goalpost from view, let alone wee Sexton.

The second part of your conjecture may have more validity however :oops:
A proud Winsome Fluter