NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought Molony's defence was outstanding up until the Pro12 final when he had a really really bad day at the office and then it's been average all season. His quick feet before contact always impressed me too but I think that's regressed as well.

Either the extra bulk doesn't suit him or he's just not used to it, but if it doesn't suit him then I hope he just gets rid of it because he was excellent before putting it on IMO.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought Molony's defence was outstanding up until the Pro12 final when he had a really really bad day at the office and then it's been average all season. His quick feet before contact always impressed me too but I think that's regressed as well.

Either the extra bulk doesn't suit him or he's just not used to it, but if it doesn't suit him then I hope he just gets rid of it because he was excellent before putting it on IMO.
Too lightweight without the bulk, even with it he is pretty light for a modern lock.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

f%~king hell, how quick is Jack Conan????!
I have Bumbleflex
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Wow, Conan really stands out even just in the highlights.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hilarious little cameo between McGrath and Conan there for one of our last tries! Could see Conan was mad for the touchdown!

McGrath actually snaked two handy tries, very unselfish of A Byrne to hand off to him too!

Carbery looks like a serious operator from FB, space gives him a bit of time to step. I've been against moving him out of 10, but with Byrne and Marsh there and some potential holes at 15 next season, I wonder might we see more of him. Class act wherever he is.

JGP loves games like this too I'd say. With a pack on top and space to run he'll cause havoc. Not sure that does any good in the long run though, because he won't get anywhere near that time against a better side.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ross Byrnes body language was brilliant. Celebrating tries and urging the forwards on for the last push over try.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrnes body language was brilliant. Celebrating tries and urging the forwards on for the last push over try.
As a very jealous Connacht fan I'm not sure how he's not getting more praise/hype. A 21 year old out half coming from nowhere to lead the team to European victories is a big deal, no matter how dominant a pack he plays behind.

His flat passing game is great and he must have set some sort of Pro12 record for kicks leading directly to tries already
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://youtu.be/Um7pKju-Mto

Mike Ross managed to get a hold of the footage of his break.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrnes body language was brilliant. Celebrating tries and urging the forwards on for the last push over try.
As a very jealous Connacht fan I'm not sure how he's not getting more praise/hype. A 21 year old out half coming from nowhere to lead the team to European victories is a big deal, no matter how dominant a pack he plays behind.

His flat passing game is great and he must have set some sort of Pro12 record for kicks leading directly to tries already
I think Carbery has sucked up all the hype!
Byrne is on a different trajectory and has improved a lot, but has a long way to go. At 21 you'd expect that, compared to where Sexton was at 21 for eg he's light years ahead. Will get plenty of gametime in the next year or so too.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FLIP wrote:https://youtu.be/Um7pKju-Mto

Mike Ross managed to get a hold of the footage of his break.
Are we sure that's not Joey Carbery in a scrum cap?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Carberry's step is nearly a trademark at this stage, he has so much time on the ball.
Conan will be very hard to keep out of first 15 and may move to 6
and play SOB at 7 till VdF comes back.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ross Byrne has the slightly unusual statistic of so far having scored 54 points for Leinster, all of them from conversions.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Conan is just physically on another level, but his decision-making and handling also really set him apart. With everyone fit, he has to start in our back row at this stage.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:Conan is just physically on another level, but his decision-making and handling also really set him apart. With everyone fit, he has to start in our back row at this stage.
Why isn't somebody calling on Joe to call him into the Irish squad - has Joe abandoned us already?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Oldschool wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Conan is just physically on another level, but his decision-making and handling also really set him apart. With everyone fit, he has to start in our back row at this stage.
Why isn't somebody calling on Joe to call him into the Irish squad - has Joe abandoned us already?
He was left out last time because he knew he wouldn't be in 23 and was better served playing than carrying tackle bag. Same was for few others in other provinces. Thing is I can't see him getting selected at 6 with options ahead and 8 he's behind Heaslip who is never injured

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschool wrote:
Why would anyone call on them to cannibalise our squad even further?
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

scentofgunpowder wrote:

Ross Byrne is class going forward, but he can't lift the team when wer're down. He doesn't have a moment of magic in him like Carbery and he can't boss the tactics like Sexton. The most important skill for an outhalf to possess is the skill required to win a game his team are losing, at an international level Sexton can do it, and IMO Jackson can't. Ross Byrne struggled in Castre, Munster and last season away to Scarlets. I'd like to see him actually drag the team to victory before I get proper excited.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

errlloyd wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:

Ross Byrne is class going forward, but he can't lift the team when wer're down. He doesn't have a moment of magic in him like Carbery and he can't boss the tactics like Sexton. The most important skill for an outhalf to possess is the skill required to win a game his team are losing, at an international level Sexton can do it, and IMO Jackson can't. Ross Byrne struggled in Castre, Munster and last season away to Scarlets. I'd like to see him actually drag the team to victory before I get proper excited.
+1
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

errlloyd wrote:
scentofgunpowder wrote:

He's still a kid. Give him the experience and he'll learn how to do it. Same goes for Carbery and game management; these things take time.