NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

Post by Oldschool »

Someone posted earlier in answer to why carberry was at 15.
Someone else replied get best players on the pitch.
Is it possible that Carberry is going to be groomed for FB?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

NG Dragons v Leinster Friday 19.30

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:Someone posted earlier in answer to why carberry was at 15.
He left UCD for 'tarf to move from fullback to outhalf, or so I've read somewhere.

Surely he'd be consulted and not forced to move positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

offshorerules wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Fred Funk wrote:Will Mike Ross's 20 yard dash make it to the 2min highlights?
It would take up the full two minutes.
Comedy genius. Take a bow young man, take a bow.
Can't see this on YouTube yet, hope Rossys 40 yard break/injection of pace captured in the highlights. Good to start the day of a big International with an extra smile.
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Oldschool wrote:
hugonaut wrote:We've already scored 69 tries this season. Cardiff's 73 tries in 2003-04 [bizarrely they only finished sixth] is the record and we're currently second. And it's February.
Were the Italian teams involved back then?
No but the Celtic Warriors and Border Reivers were so it was still a 12 team league with 22 rounds. Although Borders finished last which would indicate they were similar weakness to todays Italian teams, Celtic Warriors finished 4th so they would have had a bit more quality there.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote:
hugonaut wrote:We've already scored 69 tries this season. Cardiff's 73 tries in 2003-04 [bizarrely they only finished sixth] is the record and we're currently second. And it's February.
Were the Italian teams involved back then?
No but some of the welsh amd scortish sides werent exactly strong. Munster didnt take the league seriously either.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Someone posted earlier in answer to why carberry was at 15.
He left UCD for 'tarf to move from fullback to outhalf, or so I've read somewhere.

Surely he'd be consulted and not forced to move positions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't see it possible that he'd be moved permanently. This was about getting both players on the pitch and tactical options. Knowing that he's a legitimate option at 15 helps his case for Leinster and Ireland. Especially for putting a 6-2 split on the bench.

Madigan and Ferg suffered from moving too much, wouldn't want to see it overdone with Carbery.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Munster were runners-up in '02 and winners of the league in '03, not sure if it's fair to say they didn't take it seriously in '04 (although obviously as with us H Cup was the priority).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

neiliog93 wrote:Munster were runners-up in '02 and winners of the league in '03, not sure if it's fair to say they didn't take it seriously in '04 (although obviously as with us H Cup was the priority).

The irfu player management led people to say that Irish teams didn't take the league seriously. The crowds also would be noticably smaller, and as Munster had the big European crowds it would have been more visible. For us Cheika made a big point of going for the league, and it really mattered to us the supporters that year. I think he saw it as the first step to the European title the next year. As did we. In that sense Munster didn't take the league as seriously as we did at some points.

I think it's fair to say that they have this year, as did we given our debacle two years ago.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

But thats what leahue is in a way for IRFU is building competitive experience for young guys and getting some a feel with senior guys. Like ok 1 or 2 will rise rapidly but most only cement a 1st team spot after 2 or 3 years

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

What?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Any sign of a vid yet?
Dragons were booed off the pitch apparently.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Fred Funk wrote:Will Mike Ross's 20 yard dash make it to the 2min highlights?
It would take up the full two minutes.
Bravo!

Reminds me of this comment from Jordi. (50 seconds in.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4w4jKg6qHo

Comedy Gold.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-12655716

You have to feel bad for the poor feckers. They have been left to rack and ruin and no one wants to buy them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-12655716

You have to feel bad for the poor feckers. They have been left to rack and ruin and no one wants to buy them.
wasnt there talk of the WRFU taking full ownership? slight political can of worms if they start to do well but they have the money for it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Statistic analysis up on Scrum.com: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557

Huge day for Jack Conan - K/P/R of 0/10/20 [30 possessions in open play], with 3 clean breaks, 8 defenders beaten, 4 offloads, +123 metres gained, 16 tackles made/0 missed. Those are sensational numbers at any level. It'd be great to get some footage of this game to see how it looked!

Lots of tackling done by us - 168 made from 191 attempted, with 10 of the 15 starters making it into double figures. That was surprising to me given the reports I've read, none of which suggested that it was a hard fought match or that we were under any significant pressure.

Rhys Ruddock 22/2
Ross Molony 17/5
Jack Conan 16/0
Zane Kirchner 15/2
Adam Byrne 14/0

Ross Molony makes a lot of tackles but misses a lot as well; of the five lads competing for the spot beside Toner, [Triggs, M. Kearney, McCarthy, Nagle, Molony] he has the poorest tackle completion rate, and this performance was in the same vein as the rest of the season in that regard.

McCarthy's line is noticeably quiet – 1 possession and 8 tackles, the least of any member of the starting pack [taking into account that Peadar Timmins went off after 6 minutes]. His form has dropped off a very significant amount over the last year; twelve months ago he was starting in the Six Nations against France.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

At the start of the season, one fault that was being mentioned about Adam Byrne was his tackling. He seems to have worked on that as his tackling has been much improved lately, and his 14/0 over the weekend is an impressive return from a winger.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:60 tries in our last 10 games at an average of....well you can do the math yourself!
We've now scored 100 tries this season in just 22 games. That's 8 more than our total season record (2012/13) and that was in a 33 match season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

It was actually a hard fought match as the tackle stats bear out. First half, Dragons probably had the bulk of possession and territory but when we got the ball we used it really well to go in ahead on the scoreboard at half-time. Second half continued to be very physical but we were really good in attack. Overall it was a super performance of really solid defence and strong attack especially on the counter. The scoreline doesn't tell how tough this was, but it was a great performance of positive rugby.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:Statistic analysis up on Scrum.com: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557

Huge day for Jack Conan - K/P/R of 0/10/20 [30 possessions in open play], with 3 clean breaks, 8 defenders beaten, 4 offloads, +123 metres gained, 16 tackles made/0 missed. Those are sensational numbers at any level. It'd be great to get some footage of this game to see how it looked!

Lots of tackling done by us - 168 made from 191 attempted, with 10 of the 15 starters making it into double figures. That was surprising to me given the reports I've read, none of which suggested that it was a hard fought match or that we were under any significant pressure.

Rhys Ruddock 22/2
Ross Molony 17/5
Jack Conan 16/0
Zane Kirchner 15/2
Adam Byrne 14/0

Ross Molony makes a lot of tackles but misses a lot as well; of the five lads competing for the spot beside Toner, [Triggs, M. Kearney, McCarthy, Nagle, Molony] he has the poorest tackle completion rate, and this performance was in the same vein as the rest of the season in that regard.

McCarthy's line is noticeably quiet – 1 possession and 8 tackles, the least of any member of the starting pack [taking into account that Peadar Timmins went off after 6 minutes]. His form has dropped off a very significant amount over the last year; twelve months ago he was starting in the Six Nations against France.
Conan's stats for the season are ridiculous.
He averages 4.4 metres per carry, 13 tackles a game, 4 defenders beaten a game, 1.5 clean breaks a game and has 7 tries.

And it's not just flat track bully stuff either, he has done it against Munster, Mont etc too.

He's definitely in the equation for POTY.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote:Statistic analysis up on Scrum.com: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557

Rhys Ruddock 22/2
Ross Molony 17/5
Jack Conan 16/0
Zane Kirchner 15/2
Adam Byrne 14/0

I know it's cancer but the Leinster site stats page for each player is pretty good. Conans figures are really impressive.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=JC661063

Molony missing tackles is something I picked up last season. Figured he was just adapting to the pace of the game at a higher level. They've proved costly on occasion too. Not just the one against Castres, IIRC he was at fault for one of Seymours tries against Glasgow.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles