Leinster v Scarlets Satuday 7.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tingman
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Scarlets Satuday 7.35 TG4

Post by tingman »

great performance and result.....really took the wind out of their sails with aggressive defensive line speed....streaming from abroad....thought i was looking at a dodgy feed on my laptop with the cross field kick tries ....we have brilliant bench strength as a squad.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Luke McGrath & Carbery are try machines & 2 great assists from Adam Bryne & also Ross Byrne in fact the whole side played well against decent opposition.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ross Byrne was outstanding tonight. I hope Mr Cahill had a quiet, smug smile at some stage, because he earned it. The timing of those two cross field kicks was exquisite. His play tonight was sublime.

Just because God aka Graham Henry didn't anoint you doesn't mean you won't make it here.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Scarlets Satuday 7.35 TG4

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CiaranIrl wrote:Ross Byrne was outstanding tonight. I hope Mr Cahill had a quiet, smug smile at some stage, because he earned it. The timing of those two cross field kicks was exquisite. His play tonight was sublime.

Just because God aka Graham Henry didn't anoint you doesn't mean you won't make it here.
A very assured performance. He does need to work on his long passing game though. At least two long passes to his right behind the winger. That for me would be a step up.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Ross Byrne was outstanding tonight. I hope Mr Cahill had a quiet, smug smile at some stage, because he earned it. The timing of those two cross field kicks was exquisite. His play tonight was sublime.

A very assured performance. He does need to work on his long passing game though. At least two long passes to his right behind the winger. That for me would be a step up.
Yeah, I get it. But I think that because Henry made a remark apropos of nothing in one training session he watched, people judge Carbery differently.

Byrne has loads to learn, but he's a kid. A kid who's infinitely ahead of wherever Sexton was at the same age. Sexton, who can kick as many touch finders out on the full as he likes. No comments.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Yeah, I get it. But I think that because Henry made a remark apropos of nothing in one training session he watched, people judge Carbery differently.

Byrne has loads to learn, but he's a kid. A kid who's infinitely ahead of wherever Sexton was at the same age. Sexton, who can kick as many touch finders out on the full as he likes. No comments.
I'll forgive a lot as long as we play with ambition. So yeah I've already forgiven young Ross his wayward passes because you could see the ambition there - I'm sure the precision will come with time.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I make that five bonus point wins in a row in the Pro12. Has that been done by any other team before?

Shame it isn't enough to help the attendances in the RDS. That was another very poor crowd. I know the weather forecast was bad but where was everyone?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

nc6000 wrote:That was another very poor crowd. I know the weather forecast was bad but where was everyone?
Daughter's 21st. It happens.

We certainly came to get down.

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lest there be any doubt, this was a great game of rugby and a magnifucent performance from both teams.

Llanelli came to play and their high-tempo, off-loading game produced a real contest in the first half, with the ball in play for long periods. Llanelli also plundered ball at the breakdown, where flankerDavies (jnr) at 7 and their young No 8 Boyde, looked really impressive.

However, the entire Leinster team were on song, from Carberry at 15 through to Peter Dooley wearing No 1. Each of our subs from 16 to 23 injected their own skill onto the pitch from the moment of their arrivals.

Conditions were difficult with a swirling misty rain which should have made handling difficult but it was rarely evident on a great surface.

Many words could be spilled in the debate about the relative merits of our half backs. Suffice to say, that we are very well served at 9 and 10 and all of the candidates work totally for their team and have a wonderful range of skills.

Finally, the coaching and preparation of this entire Squad has been eye-opening.

Whatever reservations were expressed about the inexperience of Leo Cullen and Girvan Dempsey on their appointment almost two years ago and on occasions since, nobody can gainsay the individual and Squad progress that has been accomplished over that time and is now presenting such a picture of successful teamwork. Clearly Lancaster is a great addition and Fogarty and Emmet Farrell have each contributed their expertise, but the core team of Leo and Girv deserve great credit.

Well done to all. We are lucky fans to have such feasts placed before us with such regularity. While we have won nothing yet, the prospect of watching all these players, young and experienced alike, chase silverware in the coming weeks is to be relished.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

To wade into the fly half debate: Ross Byrne is an excellent passer off his right hand, but he does need to work on his passing off his left. His kicking game is exceptional, although massive credit also to McFadden and Adam Byrne. Carberry is a lovely game breaker and the comparison made by dave of Jackson vs madigan is a decent one, although it's starting to look that the newbies are at a higher level.

Here's another argument for ye all....who is playing better this season: O'Brien, Van Der Flier, or Leavy?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In years to come,some of our successor Nerds will wonder how Keatley got into an Irish match day Squad in 2017. It will be difficult, based merely on Stats for the Season to find any justifications.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Carberry is different tho' , a lot different!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Whatever about Carberry's credentials at outhalf he is turning in some performances at fullback and assuming Sexton is available at outhalf, will start there for Leinster's big games this season.
Irelands best fullback by a country mile.
If Leinster want to start Carberry ( they must) either Sexton or RK lose out. Nacewa, Byrne and Carberry looks a tasty back three with Byrne's defensive positioning the only potential weakness.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 5th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Ruckedtobits wrote:In years to come,some of our successor Nerds will wonder how Keatley got into an Irish match day Squad in 2017. It will be difficult, based merely on Stats for the Season to find any justifications.
In years to come one of us old timers will point to injuries to Carberry and Sexton' and Madigan's exile
The same nerds might also wonder how Madigan accumulated so many caps as an out-half
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:In years to come,some of our successor Nerds will wonder how Keatley got into an Irish match day Squad in 2017. It will be difficult, based merely on Stats for the Season to find any justifications.
In years to come one of us old timers will point to injuries to Carberry and Sexton' and Madigan's exile
The same nerds might also wonder how Madigan accumulated so many caps as an out-half
Caps, not necessarily at out half.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Here's another argument for ye all....who is playing better this season: O'Brien, Van Der Flier, or Leavy?
Just finished my rewatching of the game. The backrow was very good but Leavy was on another planet. Are the stats for the game out yet? He tackled everything that moved, linked and carried. I am worn out just watching him. I can understand why people might have given the MOTM to the halfbacks but Leavy was definitely mine.

On another note, I owe Kirchner an apology. He put in a serious shift. Some great tackles but the one to turnover the ball before Carbery's first try was an absolute crunching belter (hat tip for Reid's doozy of a pass as well).

So many players turning in good performances right now, it will be very frustrating at the end of the season when some guys who have been exceptional are not even involved.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Peg Leg wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Caps, not necessarily at out half.
This. If Jackson could play one other position reasonably well, Madigan would probably have half the number of caps.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Think it quite easy actually. There was no alternatives only Ross Byrne who hadn't produced the top form and was better served at this stage playing with Leinster than holding a tackle bag
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Fantastic team performance
1-23 were superb but Leavy is a machine(the best way to describe him really)...
Why is Zane playing his best stuff now that he's leaving, his defensive work lead to 2 try turnovers
Nobody played badly in fairness
Great to see Ferg back and in decent form too
Wouldn't like to be picking the squad when so called "starters" return
The back row particularly!!!!
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

So again I have to ask who are the 4 European backrowers vs Wasps and back 3 guys?
For me I'd go
O'Brien
Leavy
Heaslip

Conan benching

I think Van Der Flier isn't playing as well this season and current form is in others favour too
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***