Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby ronk » April 15th, 2017, 1:54 pm

It would be a real benefit if we can use them to better control ruck resourcing.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby mildlyinterested » April 19th, 2017, 10:26 am

Assuming Furlong doesn't get long term injured on the Lions tour and he will have a delayed return to Leinster action, will Leinster really only have the following TH props on the books next season:

Michael Bent
Oisin Heffernan
Jeremy Loughman
Andrew Porter
mildlyinterested
 
Posts: 3
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby Dave Cahill » April 19th, 2017, 11:32 am

mildlyinterested wrote:Assuming Furlong doesn't get long term injured on the Lions tour and he will have a delayed return to Leinster action, will Leinster really only have the following TH props on the books next season:

Michael Bent
Oisin Heffernan
Jeremy Loughman
Andrew Porter



Your assumption is flawed in that depending on the timing and severity of a potential injury, Furlong could be back in Leinster colours earlier than he would be if he didn't get injured in the first place or even go on the Tour.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 19935
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby mildlyinterested » April 19th, 2017, 11:46 am

Dave Cahill wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Assuming Furlong doesn't get long term injured on the Lions tour and he will have a delayed return to Leinster action, will Leinster really only have the following TH props on the books next season:

Michael Bent
Oisin Heffernan
Jeremy Loughman
Andrew Porter



Your assumption is flawed in that depending on the timing and severity of a potential injury, Furlong could be back in Leinster colours earlier than he would be if he didn't get injured in the first place or even go on the Tour.


Well he is obviously going on the tour and I think it would be a safe assumption to assume that he will have a delayed return to Leinster due to the Lions tour.
mildlyinterested
 
Posts: 3
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby curates_egg » April 19th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Our 5 Lions presumably won't be much involved at the start of the season.
Furlong is the only one we are totally reliant on in the squad. Surely that means Ross will be given another year?

6 Leinster Lions in 2013; 5 in 2009; 6 in 2005 - similar disruption in each of those seasons.
4 of our 6 from last time round have struggled with injuries since.
User avatar
curates_egg
Mullet
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby the spoofer » April 19th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Haven't we seen situations where lads are given contracts up0 to say Christmas after WC's and Lions tours?

Maybe if Rossie wants to call it quits he could be persuaded to stay until December, get us through the post lions phase, give Porter another 4 months tutoring and head off into the sunset in a blaze of glory?

We can only hope.
User avatar
the spoofer
Mullet
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby wixfjord » April 19th, 2017, 2:30 pm

the spoofer wrote:Haven't we seen situations where lads are given contracts up0 to say Christmas after WC's and Lions tours?

Maybe if Rossie wants to call it quits he could be persuaded to stay until December, get us through the post lions phase, give Porter another 4 months tutoring and head off into the sunset in a blaze of glory?

We can only hope.


This might be unfair, but I would imagine we'd have to pay Big Mike a few quid to go through another full pre-season for the sake of 4 or so months!
Darce did it, but he has a slightly different body shape and was really gearing up for RWC iirc?
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby Laighin Break » April 19th, 2017, 2:33 pm

curates_egg wrote:Our 5 Lions presumably won't be much involved at the start of the season.
Furlong is the only one we are totally reliant on in the squad. Surely that means Ross will be given another year?

6 Leinster Lions in 2013; 5 in 2009; 6 in 2005 - similar disruption in each of those seasons.
4 of our 6 from last time round have struggled with injuries since.


Surely the Leinster management have been reasonably confident that Furlong would be going on the Lions tour for quite a while now, and that this was already taken into their considerations.
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 336
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby the spoofer » April 19th, 2017, 3:17 pm

wixfjord wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Haven't we seen situations where lads are given contracts up0 to say Christmas after WC's and Lions tours?

Maybe if Rossie wants to call it quits he could be persuaded to stay until December, get us through the post lions phase, give Porter another 4 months tutoring and head off into the sunset in a blaze of glory?

We can only hope.


This might be unfair, but I would imagine we'd have to pay Big Mike a few quid to go through another full pre-season for the sake of 4 or so months!
Darce did it, but he has a slightly different body shape and was really gearing up for RWC iirc?


You can't put a value on a solid scrum.
User avatar
the spoofer
Mullet
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby curates_egg » April 19th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Laighin Break wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Our 5 Lions presumably won't be much involved at the start of the season.
Furlong is the only one we are totally reliant on in the squad. Surely that means Ross will be given another year?

6 Leinster Lions in 2013; 5 in 2009; 6 in 2005 - similar disruption in each of those seasons.
4 of our 6 from last time round have struggled with injuries since.


Surely the Leinster management have been reasonably confident that Furlong would be going on the Lions tour for quite a while now, and that this was already taken into their considerations.


You would think they have been. But Gatland's a cock, so maybe they were keeping the powder dry...and waiting to see how Rossy performs over the past month?
User avatar
curates_egg
Mullet
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby fourthirtythree » April 19th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Can't see the interview right now but from Ross's words I think he still hopes he might stay in Leinster and he's not interested in less than a year.

I may be reading between the lines but he did say he'd consider a year contract elsewhere.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8402
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Postby simonokeeffe » April 20th, 2017, 8:34 am

The short term deal might be a perfect compromise for him
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15033
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Previous

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests