Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by johng »

If he's not playing much that means we have been poxed lucky with injury and Porter hits the ground running at TH.

Furlong (Presumably a Lion) will play a Euro game or 2 before he disappears again for AIs
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:his odd pre-match barefoot walk on the pitch.
https://www.google.ie/search?kgmid=/m/0 ... nt=sh/x/kp
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

In Peter O'Reilly's interview with Marty Moore in the Sunday Times, the journalist says Mike Ross hasn't been offered a new contract by Leinster for next season.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Justtoby wrote:In Peter O'Reilly's interview with Marty Moore in the Sunday Times, the journalist says Mike Ross hasn't been offered a new contract by Leinster for next season.
That's tough but probably fair, he would be 38 next season. One of the few pro players left who was born in the seventies.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Madness.. got to keep him involved
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I could easily see the likes of one of the other provinces offering him a one year contract.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He can't go to Munster because he's Irish.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He started playing pro late. If his body won't take it there's not much point in flogging him. He might have more in the tank and maybe just was held back by injury.

We probably have to replace him if we lose him though. Even before injuries we have a Lions recovery year for Furlong and we'd already used up most of our depth losing Moore.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Can see him getting a year at Connacht.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He can't go to Munster because he's Irish.
Or Ulster cos hes hes not south african

I can see him retiring if we dont offer him a coaching gig, not sure itd be enticing for him to go through all the upheaval for one more season and one spent on a bench at best

Plus I want him to retire a Leinster player :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If true, I wonder is this a bit of a bargain with the IRFU/Porter to ensure we're bringing him through and getting him gametime as a TH. It's a bit of a gamble, in fact it's a big gamble, but if it paid off and Porter came through as a TH we'd be in good nick.

I would seriously hope we're not losing Ross though, surely it makes sense to keep him as a coach?
We've lost a serious amount of rugby nous over the last few years, guys like Reddan, Jennings etc. Ross definitely a lot to give.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Why not offer Ross a playing/coach position? It's being done before. He could ease into coaching while helping Porter get up to speed at Pro 12 level.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

sunshiner1 wrote:Why not offer Ross a playing/coach position? It's being done before. He could ease into coaching while helping Porter get up to speed at Pro 12 level.
+1
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:If true, I wonder is this a bit of a bargain with the IRFU/Porter to ensure we're bringing him through and getting him gametime as a TH. It's a bit of a gamble, in fact it's a big gamble, but if it paid off and Porter came through as a TH we'd be in good nick.

I would seriously hope we're not losing Ross though, surely it makes sense to keep him as a coach?
We've lost a serious amount of rugby nous over the last few years, guys like Reddan, Jennings etc. Ross definitely a lot to give.
If you were going to gamble on Porter instantly being a solid tighthead we'd still need cover of some sort.

Any conversion strategies would give him a year at least.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sunshiner1 wrote:Why not offer Ross a playing/coach position? It's being done before. He could ease into coaching while helping Porter get up to speed at Pro 12 level.

Does anyone actually know if a) Ross has any interest in coaching or b) any coaching ability.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:If true, I wonder is this a bit of a bargain with the IRFU/Porter to ensure we're bringing him through and getting him gametime as a TH. It's a bit of a gamble, in fact it's a big gamble, but if it paid off and Porter came through as a TH we'd be in good nick.

If you were going to gamble on Porter instantly being a solid tighthead we'd still need cover of some sort.

I don't think we would to be honest. Bent, Loughman, Heffernan and Porter should be enough cover. In an ideal world you'd have Ross, but as I say that's the gamble.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:

I don't think we would to be honest. Bent, Loughman, Heffernan and Porter should be enough cover. In an ideal world you'd have Ross, but as I say that's the gamble.
Bent will be starting tighthead for a large proportion of the season with Furlong away. Furlong is a strategically important player and gets wrapped in cotton wool if he needs it.

The next 3 have 7 caps between them at tighthead. That wouldn't count as a gamble, it's relying on a miracle.

How would you feel about Loughman or Heffernan being on the bench this weekend? If Ross was available would those guys be close to pushing him out?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Does anyone actually know if a) Ross has any interest in coaching or b) any coaching ability.
Well you have a point- but whatever his interest in the role, how does one gauge his capacity at this stage on anything other than his technical knowledge (which he has in spades) or actually giving him a coaching gig to see?.Player-coach sounds a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

It doesn't matter whether he has coaching ability or not; just add him on to the cadre of coaches we have or better still give Fogarty the door.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's a player near the end of his career known for strong technical knowledge. It's normal to assume he's going to be a coach.