Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by COYBIB »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No you've picked that up wrong. You need to have completed your three year residency before then, not just started it.
This really fu*ks up Munster, who rely on the under20 world cup to bring through young players for them, and by and large has probably been better for finding international quality players than their own academy.

Of course, as a result, this puts further pressure on Leinster to supply players for them as well as the established feeder relationship with Connacht.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rdsblue wrote:Senior squad has been updated on Leinster site but Mike Ross is still included. Presumably we can't expect to see Tadgh Furlong until well in to the new season. Could Mike have been given a short term contract?
hes been tweeting pictures of him in his office job so it would be surprising, and no offence to him but would hate to see Rossy without a pre season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

11 players in their 30's at the start of the season:

Isa Nacewa(35/Back Three)
Scott Fardy(33/Second Row)
Jamie Heaslip(33/Backrow)
Jonathan Sexton(32/Outhalf)
Michael Bent(31/TH Prop)
Sean Cronin(31/Hooker)
Richardt Strauss(31/Hooker)
Devin Toner(31/Second Row)
Rob Kearney(31/Fullback)
Fergus McFadden(31/Wing)
Sean O'Brien(30/Backrow)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:11 players in their 30's at the start of the season:

Michael Bent(31/TH Prop)
Sean Cronin(31/Hooker)
Rob Kearney(31/Fullback)
Fergus McFadden(31/Wing)
Sean O'Brien(30/Backrow)
I know you would like them all to do a "Logan's Run" but that is actually a very good lineup. Barring Isa they are all 33 or less.

Fardy is low mileage
Heaslip is.... well Heaslip and nigh on indestructible.
Sexton is in great form atm if a little injury prone, and the rest are all under 32.

Isa is a Legend and has passed Dr Phil (Much as it pains me to say it) and everyone else as our best ever import. He will probably play less big games this season and his leadership will be invalluable in some of the other ones.

3 lads older than Isa gone. Ross (Our last player born in the 70s) Mick Mac and Triggs. Reddan Boss and Dundon last year. Zane is actually 2 years younger than Isa but he is off your list too

All good
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:11 players in their 30's at the start of the season:

Michael Bent(31/TH Prop)
Sean Cronin(31/Hooker)
Rob Kearney(31/Fullback)
Fergus McFadden(31/Wing)
Sean O'Brien(30/Backrow)
I know you would like them all to do a "Logan's Run" but that is actually a very good lineup. Barring Isa they are all 33 or less.

Fardy is low mileage
Heaslip is.... well Heaslip and nigh on indestructible.
Sexton is in great form atm if a little injury prone, and the rest are all under 32.

Isa is a Legend and has passed Dr Phil (Much as it pains me to say it) and everyone else as our best ever import. He will probably play less big games this season and his leadership will be invalluable in some of the other ones.

3 lads older than Isa gone. Ross (Our last player born in the 70s) Mick Mac and Triggs. Reddan Boss and Dundon last year. Zane is actually 2 years younger than Isa but he is off your list too

All good
Just pointing out that some of these players will need to be replace soon, specifically the outside backs.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We seem to be managing succession in the outside backs pretty well so far.
Byrne, ROL, Lowe should all see significant game time this year.
Larmour & Kelly (albeit his star has fallen a bit) look next in line and then hopefully one of Keenan, Fitzpatrick and Kennedy should be good enough for a pro contract.
Ferg has a few years left in him too hopefully.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Byrne has a long way to go to prove him self top quality, mostly defensively where he was exposed at the end of the season.

A long term replacement for Kearney at FB seems to be the biggest concern in the outside backs. Maybe Kelleher returns or Kelly proves to be the answer, although i think kelly could be a winger long term.

McFadden might get another contract as squad player.. but dont think leinater can be relying on him to be a top quality player much longer.

Beyond that hooker looks like the biggest worry unless McNulty has a big season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:Byrne has a long way to go to prove him self top quality, mostly defensively where he was exposed at the end of the season.

A long term replacement for Kearney at FB seems to be the biggest concern in the outside backs. Maybe Kelleher returns or Kelly proves to be the answer, although i think kelly could be a winger long term.

McFadden might get another contract as squad player.. but dont think leinater can be relying on him to be a top quality player much longer.

Beyond that hooker looks like the biggest worry unless McNulty has a big season.
Who said Byrne was top quality?!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Byrne has a long way to go to prove him self top quality, mostly defensively where he was exposed at the end of the season.

Did I say someone did?

Leinster will need a top quality wing to pair with Lowe next season and going forward who that will be is up for debate.

Will ROL move to the centre? or focus on the wing?
Can the Kearneys stay healthy?
What does McFadden have left?
What sort of role will Nacewa have next season?
Can Byrne improve defensively so he is no longer a liability against quality teams?
How much 15 will Carbery play next season?
Will any of the academy outside backs force themselves into contention next season?

I think the back three has the most question marks around it of any position group at leinster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Did I say someone did?

Leinster will need a top quality wing to pair with Lowe next season and going forward who that will be is up for debate.

Will ROL move to the centre? or focus on the wing?
Can the Kearneys stay healthy?
What does McFadden have left?
What sort of role will Nacewa have next season?
Can Byrne improve defensively so he is no longer a liability against quality teams?
How much 15 will Carbery play next season?
Will any of the academy outside backs force themselves into contention next season?

I think the back three has the most question marks around it of any position group at leinster.
Ah, I had forgotten which poster you were before you changed your name! Now it makes sense. :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It'll be interesting to see how Carbery, Larmour, and Kelly affect each other and what the plan is for each. I started writing about the potential options but it would actually require an essay.

One thing I'm sure of is that I'd like to see Larmour get games on the wing ASAP.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Carbery, Larmour, and Kelly affect each other and what the plan is for each. I started writing about the potential options but it would actually require an essay.

One thing I'm sure of is that I'd like to see Larmour get games on the wing ASAP.
Mise freisin!!!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

God I hope James Lowe is as good as he's being built up to be... to think so young, can qualify for Ireland and be a career Leinster man, in a position where we have badly struggled to produce back three players that match up to the galacticos of old and somewhere we badly, badly need to have a number of prospects to come good and give us that spark out wide again....people on other forums (New Zealand fans) calling for him to be in the All Blacks squad....i even saw a thread about people debating why Lowe should have been selected over Savea....

Please be that good.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

If only the Barrett family had stayed in County Meath.....
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:If only the Barrett family had stayed in County Meath.....
Pfffft

We have the Kearneys
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Any update on SOB
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If they'd stayed in Co.Meath, none of them would be anywhere near as good as they are now, especially in terms of skills and attacking vision. It's sad but that's the way it is.

Equally, I'd be willing to bet that in Ireland, Jordie would have been forced to play as an undersized second row or blindside flanker (he's 6'5"), and with Beauden's physical attributes he probably would have been shifted to centre or the back three.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

neiliog93 wrote:
If they'd stayed in Co.Meath, none of them would be anywhere near as good as they are now, especially in terms of skills and attacking vision. It's sad but that's the way it is.

Equally, I'd be willing to bet that in Ireland, Jordie would have been forced to play as an undersized second row or blindside flanker (he's 6'5"), and with Beauden's physical attributes he probably would have been shifted to centre or the back three.
Isn't Conor Nash (gone to AFL) really tall?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:

Isn't Conor Nash (gone to AFL) really tall?
He's 6'5 but did he move here as a teenager or something?

I do remember a centre in my year in school being moved into the second row as the (technically ex Irish international) coach said his father and grandfather were forwards
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Nash is born and bred in meath.