Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:Is he though or is it just a slip of the character limit by Dev? Couple of weeks ago he said at a presser that he was sorted with a contract for next season but didn't say where
Could well be. It was the fact it was just Trigger and Rossy in the photo with the gifts that made me wonder.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its a fair point alright, and it is certainly confusing now.

I'm genuinely of the belief that he is going to Munster. If he was going to retire, they'd have made a big deal of it - hes a popular and massively respected guy. If he were going to another club they'd have said something like they did with Mike Mac. The only reason you wouldn't do that would be if he were going to Munster .
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

he is retiring and heading back to nz
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's now an article on the42 where he says he's going home.

Ringrose has a few quotes too and I read more from him earlier. The more I hear from him the more I think he's captain material, a really brilliant speaker and perfect as the face of any team. There are more obvious candidates for both Leinster and Ireland over the next few years so I don't see it happening but just saying that I think he'd make an excellent one.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There's now an article on the42 where he says he's going home.

Ringrose has a few quotes too and I read more from him earlier. The more I hear from him the more I think he's captain material, a really brilliant speaker and perfect as the face of any team. There are more obvious candidates for both Leinster and Ireland over the next few years so I don't see it happening but just saying that I think he'd make an excellent one.
Who, other than GR, do you see as potential Captains in the new era now dawning?

Tricky assignment but my long-list guess would be: Ruddock - by some distance; Moloney, Leavy, McGrath...with Leavy my preference of those 3. It is preferable that whoever is Captain is not regularly absent due to the Ireland squad but also a certain starter.

Ruddock has more people to shift internationally...Stander, POM, SOB. But an Irish back row of POM, Stander and Ruddock is very plausible if a tad slow.

If it wasn't Ruddock, James Ryan could also emerge pretty fast as he is only 2 years behind Moloney and Leavy. But there is a ridiculous amount of hype around the guy which will be added to if he does a 'Drico' and get's capped this Summer before representing Leinster.

All things considered, we may need to settle into a rotating Captaincy, which I think we would handle pretty well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really haven't a clue who it'll be for Leinster or Ireland but all those guys you mentioned would be in the mix. I'd add Josh too but just so hard to know what our backrow will ever look like.

Nick McCarthy might make a good option when the internationals aren't around. I could see him overtaking JGP but won't be ready for international rugby for a while, probably guaranteed more game time than some of the backrowers.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Conan?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Rob K for Club Captain?
But match captain to rotate a bit?

On more minor matters - Toner's pic of Ross and Triggs with their goodbye pressies (TAG watches). No disrespect to Hayden Triggs who I think has been a very good signing for Leinster but surely Mike Ross deserves something more substantial in terms of recognising his exceptional contribution over 8 years to the team????
Four Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Lar wrote:Rob K for Club Captain?

On more minor matters - Toner's pic of Ross and Triggs with their goodbye pressies (TAG watches). No disrespect to Hayden Triggs who I think has been a very good signing for Leinster but surely Mike Ross deserves something more substantial in terms of recognising his exceptional contribution over 8 years to the team????
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I thought they were gifts that Big Dev himself organised for the two lads, rather than from Leinster Rugby.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

:?
He was very well paid for 8 years and at the end he gets a watch like everyone else. They are quite expensive watches.

http://paulsheeran.ie/brands/tag-heuer-2/
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

cormac wrote:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I thought they were gifts that Big Dev himself organised for the two lads, rather than from Leinster Rugby.
Crikey - see the post above - incredibly generous from Dev if true.
Four Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

for club captain/when internationals are away then Ruddock or Fardy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruddock would be my choice too. Great guy to lead when the internationals are away.

Luke McGrath would be another, albeit I think it might not suit him as much.

Plenty of guys around who could take it though. Leavy would make a great captain imo, but will likely be with Ireland more than the other two.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 23189.html
Sounds like Triggs is retiring,
"I'm going back to New Zealand to rest, to retire," he sighs, heavily
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is interesting! Triggs and Jack Mc are the 'disciplinarians' and enforcers according to RInger!
https://www.facebook.com/leinsterrugby/ ... 940600240/

Seems like Triggs will be a big loss amongst the squad. Hopefully Fardy can bring a similar work ethic as he's from a relatively similar background.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Didn't want to start a new thread but I was thinking ahead to next season and about the guys who should be around for the start of it.

1. Dooley
2. Strauss
3. Bent
4. Molony (unless he gets called up to the Ireland squad)
5. Fardy
6. Deegan (could see him getting games here)
7. Jordi
8. Heaslip
9. JGP/McCarthy
10. Byrne
11. Lowe (I'm assuming himself and Fardy get here straight after Super Rugby but not certain)
12. Reid
13. ROL
14. Byrne
15. Kearney

I've left out Isa, Ferg, and DK there but that's a cracking backline and a good pack. I'd be surprised if James Ryan, Porter, and a few others aren't around from the start of the season but I was just thinking about the guys who aren't touring this summer.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread but I was thinking ahead to next season and about the guys who should be around for the start of it.

1. Dooley
2. Strauss
3. Bent
4. Molony (unless he gets called up to the Ireland squad)
5. Fardy
6. Deegan (could see him getting games here)
7. Jordi
8. Heaslip
9. JGP/McCarthy
10. Byrne
11. Lowe (I'm assuming himself and Fardy get here straight after Super Rugby but not certain)
12. Reid
13. ROL
14. Byrne
15. Kearney

I've left out Isa, Ferg, and DK there but that's a cracking backline and a good pack. I'd be surprised if James Ryan, Porter, and a few others aren't around from the start of the season but I was just thinking about the guys who aren't touring this summer.
Doubt Fardy/Lowe will be around at the start of the season. But could be wrong.

Why would ROL be available if he is on tour?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just a mistake on my part.

I appreciate all your info on young players and all the various other info you provide but I still won't be replying to you under your new username, we'll just get into tedious arguments again.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Fardy is joining after Super Rugby but Lowe won't be here until after Tasman finish up in whatever the NPC is called now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's a pity but our need for Fardy is probably greater so that's good news.