Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by Jackie Brown »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Pienaar: Continuous presence over 5 seasons with no emergence of indigenous successor.

Nacewa: Interrupted contract after five years, two seasons absence, four(six) Leinster back three players capped during his contracts in Leinster - R Kearney (G Dempsey), D Kearney (S Horgan), F McFadden (L Fitzgerald). Three more young, back-three prospects emerging at present: A Byrne, B Daly, R O'Loughlin.

Hard to see the similarites.
Are you equating Pienaar in one position to Nacewa in three? Or are you saying Paul Marshall and Shanahan are international quality?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Imagine if Pienaar had to leave because Isa is moving to 9 after his performance there a few months back.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Pienaar: Continuous presence over 5 seasons with no emergence of indigenous successor.

Nacewa: Interrupted contract after five years, two seasons absence, four(six) Leinster back three players capped during his contracts in Leinster - R Kearney (G Dempsey), D Kearney (S Horgan), F McFadden (L Fitzgerald). Three more young, back-three prospects emerging at present: A Byrne, B Daly, R O'Loughlin.

Hard to see the similarites.
Are you equating Pienaar in one position to Nacewa in three? Or are you saying Paul Marshall and Shanahan are international quality?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
No, quite the opposite he is distinguishing Nacewa in three plus positions from Pienaar in one etc.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scott Fardy at the end of super rugby. Presumably as a lock.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:Scott Fardy at the end of super rugby. Presumably as a lock.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-u ... upgeu.html
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I remember we were linked with him around the time Douglas (I think) was signed. I didn't rate Fardy at the time but he's gone way up in my estimation in the time since.

He's exactly the profile of lock we need. Solid dogged international and at 32 isn't over the hill for a lock and wouldn't be around long enough to hinder Ryan's development. Sign him up!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

So I guess that Triggs off anyway.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ChrisUppy wrote:
I remember we were linked with him around the time Douglas (I think) was signed. I didn't rate Fardy at the time but he's gone way up in my estimation in the time since.

He's exactly the profile of lock we need. Solid dogged international and at 32 isn't over the hill for a lock and wouldn't be around long enough to hinder Ryan's development. Sign him up!
Only made his super rugby debut in 2012. Low mileage enforcer. One lady owner. Full service history.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

johng wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:

Only made his super rugby debut in 2012. Low mileage enforcer. One lady owner. Full service history.
Looks like a done deal according to that article

"It's still a big year ahead at the Brumbies and I'm looking forward to the season ahead in Canberra," Fardy said.

"I'm also excited about the chance to join Leinster next season. But I've got a lot that I want to achieve at the Brumbies and it should be a great year with the boys."

Talk about going about our business quietly! Delighted with that, hats off to all involved in getting that done
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oh that's a great signing, delighted with that, really rate Fardy, he's a leader too and tough as nails.
Presumeably this means Mike Mac and Triggs gone.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Mike Mac is off to France I think. Not sure about Triggs. He's playing well at the moment though.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Leinster having Nacewa to Ulster having Piutau?

Fardy to Leinster is exactly the signing that people on this board have been hoping for! Great work
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ulster fans getting more irked now even with their 2 furriner backrowers next season

42 says deal is explicitly lock only

I'm a huge Scott Fardy fan but as a 6, not sure what to make of signing him in particular, would have preferred a second rowier second row, but again I'd have reasonable faith in Leo Cullen when it comes to second rows

Pleasantly mildly surprised we were allowed this, but Toner misses half the season, the tape holding McCarthy together is getting dog eared, hes an improvement on Triggs, Fardy is available all year, MK has suffered with form/injury or injury/form, Ryan still has to play a senior game, Molony is producing that difficult second album, so 3 NIQs it is for next season so
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Good addition to the squad. Cant help feel we need more of a Tight Five lock than a Back Five lock if you know what I mean.

That said the last Aussie lock who also played 6 preformed admirably for us (Hines not Finnegan!)
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster fans getting more irked now even with their 2 furriner backrowers next season

I'm a huge Scott Fardy fan but as a 6, not sure what to make of signing him in particular, would have preferred a second rowier second row, but again I'd have reasonable faith in Leo Cullen when it comes to second rows

Pleasantly mildly surprised we were allowed this, but Toner misses half the season, the tape holding McCarthy together is getting dog eared, hes an improvement on Triggs, Fardy is available all year, MK has suffered with form/injury or injury/form, Ryan still has to play a senior game, Molony is producing that difficult second album, so 3 NIQs it is for next season so
Presume Triggs is off and hence being allowed - also with McCarthy likely gone, its no big surprise imo. Fardy is a bit of a surprise though - not proven as a lock imo, although he would probably be fine. That said if we start to see him in the backrow next year I'm sure there would be some eyebrows raised. No good new for Rhys Ruddock I would have thought
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Golf Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster fans getting more irked now even with their 2 furriner backrowers next season

Presume Triggs is off and hence being allowed - also with McCarthy likely gone, its no big surprise imo. Fardy is a bit of a surprise though - not proven as a lock imo, although he would probably be fine. That said if we start to see him in the backrow next year I'm sure there would be some eyebrows raised. No good new for Rhys Ruddock I would have thought
He is proven as a top level international forward and he has experience of playing lock. He is leader, tough, skilled and highly athletic. Not sure how it affects Ruddock, whose main worry should be comeptition from younger backrows who are out performing him.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'll be sad to see both Triggs and McCarthy move on if that's the case. Two fine locks.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dan Leavy has no intention of leaving Leinster.

http://www.the42.ie/dan-leavy-leinster- ... 1-Mar2017/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Great signing. Big, mobile, tough, good at breakdown & lineout and will make his carries & tackles. Will hopefully aid Molony/Ryan's development too.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jimbobjoe wrote:Great signing. Big, mobile, tough, good at breakdown & lineout and will make his carries & tackles. Will hopefully aid Molony/Ryan's development too.
Hopefully, Molonys biggest problem appears to be his inability to carry the bulk required on his frame and retain his athleticism.