Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by Ruckedtobits »

goreyguy wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Great signing. Big, mobile, tough, good at breakdown & lineout and will make his carries & tackles. Will hopefully aid Molony/Ryan's development too.
Hopefully, Molonys biggest problem appears to be his inability to carry the bulk required on his frame and retain his athleticism.
That's my own analysis as well. However, there have been others who came through that phase and ultimately proved that skill and brawn can co-exist. Former NZ second-row, Ian Jones, was one I remember in particular and he certainly became a top-line 2nd row with top level mobility.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Great signing. Big, mobile, tough, good at breakdown & lineout and will make his carries & tackles. Will hopefully aid Molony/Ryan's development too.
Hopefully, Molonys biggest problem appears to be his inability to carry the bulk required on his frame and retain his athleticism.
That's my own analysis as well. However, there have been others who came through that phase and ultimately proved that skill and brawn can co-exist. Former NZ second-row, Ian Jones, was one I remember in particular and he certainly became a top-line 2nd row with top level mobility.
yeah he is still young and it could just be a matter of time, but it seems to be his biggest problem at the moment.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Golf Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster fans getting more irked now even with their 2 furriner backrowers next season

42 says deal is explicitly lock only

I'm a huge Scott Fardy fan but as a 6, not sure what to make of signing him in particular, would have preferred a second rowier second row, but again I'd have reasonable faith in Leo Cullen when it comes to second rows

Pleasantly mildly surprised we were allowed this, but Toner misses half the season, the tape holding McCarthy together is getting dog eared, hes an improvement on Triggs, Fardy is available all year, MK has suffered with form/injury or injury/form, Ryan still has to play a senior game, Molony is producing that difficult second album, so 3 NIQs it is for next season so
Presume Triggs is off and hence being allowed - also with McCarthy likely gone, its no big surprise imo. Fardy is a bit of a surprise though - not proven as a lock imo, although he would probably be fine. That said if we start to see him in the backrow next year I'm sure there would be some eyebrows raised. No good new for Rhys Ruddock I would have thought
Getting an NIE lock is the most surprising part for me

Second row was never going to be long term for Ruddock, he just needs to stay fit and fight for backrow spots
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Fardy has played flanker for the last few seasons, but before that he played almost exclusively as a lock. 21/23 starts in the second row in his first two seasons for the Brumbies.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Yet another lock signing by Leinster, ye lads really like to collect locks don't ye?

That must be about 25 signed in the pro era?

Warning this is just a joke, please don't take offence.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Golf Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster fans getting more irked now even with their 2 furriner backrowers next season

42 says deal is explicitly lock only

I'm a huge Scott Fardy fan but as a 6, not sure what to make of signing him in particular, would have preferred a second rowier second row, but again I'd have reasonable faith in Leo Cullen when it comes to second rows

Pleasantly mildly surprised we were allowed this, but Toner misses half the season, the tape holding McCarthy together is getting dog eared, hes an improvement on Triggs, Fardy is available all year, MK has suffered with form/injury or injury/form, Ryan still has to play a senior game, Molony is producing that difficult second album, so 3 NIQs it is for next season so
Presume Triggs is off and hence being allowed - also with McCarthy likely gone, its no big surprise imo. Fardy is a bit of a surprise though - not proven as a lock imo, although he would probably be fine. That said if we start to see him in the backrow next year I'm sure there would be some eyebrows raised. No good new for Rhys Ruddock I would have thought
Getting an NIE lock is the most surprising part for me

Second row was never going to be long term for Ruddock, he just needs to stay fit and fight for backrow spots
Why? you have one at the moment - hardly a stretch to replace him - you have NIQ second row, scrum half and 2 in the back 3. You don't need front row or backrow NIEs. In the last 10 years Leinster have nearly always had at least 2 NIE starters and usually another one on the bench - for the 3 Heineken cups you had 5 NIQs in the 23 - I don't think there was any sense that was going to change. The question to my mind is if Kirchner is going will he be replaced?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

munster#1 wrote:Yet another lock signing by Leinster, ye lads really like to collect locks don't ye?

You're not wrong.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

M1 you rascal

@GM its replacing the NIQ lock with another thats surprising to me as that seems to be what Nucifora is trying to cut out eg FVDM, Pienaar, Botha, Clarke, Saili tbc

I'd say zero chance of Kirchner being replaced (by an NIQ)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

fourthirtythree wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Yet another lock signing by Leinster, ye lads really like to collect locks don't ye?

You're not wrong.
It would be interesting to see what the actual number is, and then compare it to centers at Munster.

Crazy how 2 clubs with the same gene pool struggle in two very different positions.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

munster#1 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

You're not wrong.
It would be interesting to see what the actual number is, and then compare it to centers at Munster.

Crazy how 2 clubs with the same gene pool struggle in two very different positions.
both provinces are getting their act together somewhat at both positions..
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Nah just the 9 :wink:

up outa that garden

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

You're not wrong.

But he's the first flanker since '08
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Like what I've seen of fardy insofar as he is a nuts and bolts type but wouldn't assume he is the answer to our 2nd row problems. I had a Damien Browne mkII in mind myself.
Daniel Sullivan
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Peg Leg wrote:Like what I've seen of fardy insofar as he is a nuts and bolts type but wouldn't assume he is the answer to our 2nd row problems. I had a Damien Browne mkII in mind myself.
he the short term gap between what we have now and James Ryan.

a damien browne type wouldn't fit into our current playing style.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

goreyguy wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Like what I've seen of fardy insofar as he is a nuts and bolts type but wouldn't assume he is the answer to our 2nd row problems. I had a Damien Browne mkII in mind myself.

Damien Browne with hands. Need a clear out merchant for ball protection at ruck time.
No pressure on Ryan then...
Daniel Sullivan
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Peg Leg wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Damien Browne with hands. Need a clear out merchant for ball protection at ruck time.
No pressure on Ryan then...
there is plenty of pressure on Ryan.. nature of the system though isn't it..
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

That's a surprising and very good signing. Dev plays on the right of the second row these days, so Fardy will likely be expected to scrummage in the left slot, the less draining of the two. Maybe there are some questions over his scrummaging ability as he has played in the backrow so much, but he's a big unit at 198cm and 114kg and the strength is there. Hopefully all it will take is practice and effort to acclimatize. He's a first rate lineout option too - exceptionally good. He was a big target for the Wallabies throught the world cup ... because Pocock and Hooper are a pair of stumps, in fairness.

Outside the set pieces, his play around the park in 2015 RWC was first rate, and for a tall man he is really effective at the breakdown. Here's hoping everything goes well.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I'm a little weary of this signing tbh, our experience with SH locks is more miss than hit and this one has played most of his career in tha backrow (though he does have expereince in the 2nd row). You'd have to think he's not a TH lock and with McCarthy and likely Triggs going that leaves us with Toner and Kearney (he is IIRC).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote:
I'm a little weary of this signing tbh, our experience with SH locks is more miss than hit and this one has played most of his career in tha backrow (though he does have expereince in the 2nd row). You'd have to think he's not a TH lock and with McCarthy and likely Triggs going that leaves us with Toner and Kearney (he is IIRC).
You can't be weary of it already. It was only announced this morning. :lol:
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

paddyor wrote:
He started his career as a TH lock. Can play both sides
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***