Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by mildlyinterested »

A training base has yet to be nailed down with Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Stellenbosch all mentioned as candidates so far but the biggest headache of all may be actually getting everybody home.

Flights between Europe and South Africa aren’t exactly short of passengers at the best of times and Leinster are facing a situation where they will not be able to fly all of their players out the day after the Cheetahs game.

Those down for duty against Edinburgh will be afforded priority.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

To cut costs, existing Pro12 teams will only have to travel once to the southern hemisphere but, although they will have their expenses covered by organisers, there will be a limit placed upon the numbers allowed.
With Leinster still likely to be minus their expansive Lions and Irish international contingent, not to mention a host of injured players such as Jamie Heaslip, their squad will be severely weakened for the double-header.

Another stipulation that decrees they would not be allowed to fly out replacements for an injured player could have the capacity to reduce playing numbers further.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

There's got to be an NIQ joker signing on the cards for us at centre.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

http://sportforbusiness.com/state-of-th ... -leinster/

"From a communications point of view we have hired an in-house videographer for the first time to work with us for the season ahead which I think has already had a huge impact on our visibility in pre-season in comparison to other seasons."

I'm sincerely hoping that he wasn't in charge of the highlights from the Glos game. :shock:

On season tickets;
"I am confident that by the start of the season we will be in and around 8-10% up on last season and that we will go above the 12,000 mark."
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:http://sportforbusiness.com/state-of-th ... -leinster/

"From a communications point of view we have hired an in-house videographer for the first time to work with us for the season ahead which I think has already had a huge impact on our visibility in pre-season in comparison to other seasons."

I'm sincerely hoping that he wasn't in charge of the highlights from the Glos game. :shock:

On season tickets;
"I am confident that by the start of the season we will be in and around 8-10% up on last season and that we will go above the 12,000 mark."
Fair point.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on August 29th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:

On season tickets;
Utter spoofer
That's unnecessarily OTT.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

On season tickets;
Utter spoofer
That's unnecessarily OTT.
That's a fair point.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One thing that interview shows is how poor a job Paul Dermody was doing. To get the numbers in the ground from the season ticket base we had last year is dreadfull.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:One thing that interview shows is how poor a job Paul Dermody was doing. To get the numbers in the ground from the season ticket base we had last year is dreadfull.

Aye, the big imponderable around Leinster Rugby for the last few years is how, in a city with one pro team and over a million people, can we keep turning in such poor crowds? The growth in sponsorship has been great, but crowds haven’t followed.
The stadium is part of it, as is the weather at certain times of the year, but they seem to have lost momentum quite a bit.

Hopefully the new RDS will help, along with new big name signings and a renewed positivity around the place too.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:One thing that interview shows is how poor a job Paul Dermody was doing. To get the numbers in the ground from the season ticket base we had last year is dreadfull.

Aye, the big imponderable around Leinster Rugby for the last few years is how, in a city with one pro team and over a million people, can we keep turning in such poor crowds? The growth in sponsorship has been great, but crowds haven’t followed.
The stadium is part of it, as is the weather at certain times of the year, but they seem to have lost momentum quite a bit.

Hopefully the new RDS will help, along with new big name signings and a renewed positivity around the place too.
Rugby is still a relatively poorly followed sport in Ireland. A lot of people will get into the big games to a degree, and a lot will only go to see winning teams. Look at Munster as another example of that. Our performances over the course of around 2-3 years turned a lot of people off. Not a lot of nice rugby and not very winning rugby. Even Leos first season, the fact that we had a good run in the league paled next to the failings in Europe.

We're back playing winning rugby again. We're back in big knock-out games in Europe. If we can continue that, or better yet build on it, this season the numbers will increase again next. Nothing gets bums on seats like success.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Would that not be the marketing team's fault? Granted they may have reported to him. He seems to have done his job off the field but I don't know what his remit actually was. It's poor not to have a replacement in place anyway, he's gone a good while at this stage and I thought he'd already been replaced. Given the connections people would have and how attractive the job is I would think they could get someone really top class to take over. Even if salaries are better elsewhere, it's still an attractive job.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I would imagine they produced the first video from last week, the one that was irrelevant but nicely shot. I know in the past they've had to use an outside company for that kind of thing but can't imagine they'd have done so for a pre season friendly.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Would that not be the marketing team's fault? Granted they may have reported to him. He seems to have done his job off the field but I don't know what his remit actually was. It's poor not to have a replacement in place anyway, he's gone a good while at this stage and I thought he'd already been replaced. Given the connections people would have and how attractive the job is I would think they could get someone really top class to take over. Even if salaries are better elsewhere, it's still an attractive job.
He was the head of the marketing team.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

I would imagine they produced the first video from last week, the one that was irrelevant but nicely shot. I know in the past they've had to use an outside company for that kind of thing but can't imagine they'd have done so for a pre season friendly.
they used VOTN (Videos On The Net) for a couple of years. I hadn't heard that they were taking on a in-house videographer - best of luck to him or her, its not an easy job.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
He was the head of the marketing team.
I know someone else did the posters etc though and that kind of stuff has been poor IMO but fair enough I thought that he'd just look at the numbers and not be involved as such.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:

Casuals want to see the big names
We're going for money not numbers to some extent
We went from winning to not winning
Kick off times
The league being run dowm by the meeja

But considering provincial population we should be doing better
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One simple thing...I shouldn't be able to go on twitter or facebook etc without being bombarded by videos of James Lowe doing outrageous things on a rugby pitch. There should be a countdown to when he arrives.

Basically we should copy the marketing used in The Simpsons...GABBO IS COMING.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Casuals want to see the big names
We're going for money not numbers to some extent
We went from winning to not winning
Kick off times
The league being run dowm by the meeja

But considering provincial population we should be doing better
Everything you say has been the case since Conor Hanratty was in charge of Marketing (except we spent longer not winning), but we've never had such a poor conversion rate as we have in the last two or three years.
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Back in the '06 to '09 I remember there was a huge explosion in season ticket numbers, attendances and general 'buzz' around Leinster. We weren't winning too much then either (until the end of 08-09). The marketing team rightly got enormous credit then. What has happened since then?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Toulouse quarter final. An Irish team wins the HC. Then the big one. Move to the RDS in Sept 07. ST sales go from 3000ish to 8000ish at a stroke. Then 6 trophies in 6 years. That kept the numbers growing. Funny that Leinster did all their growth during the recession and now that things are better.... Well I suppose the growing has started again this season.