A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Like what I've seen of fardy insofar as he is a nuts and bolts type but wouldn't assume he is the answer to our 2nd row problems. I had a Damien Browne mkII in mind myself.
I'm a little weary of this signing tbh, our experience with SH locks is more miss than hit and this one has played most of his career in tha backrow (though he does have expereince in the 2nd row). You'd have to think he's not a TH lock and with McCarthy and likely Triggs going that leaves us with Toner and Kearney (he is IIRC).
You can't be weary of it already. It was only announced this morning. :lol:
Greatful for the correction!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote: Greatful for the correction!
Grateful for the opportunity to insert a mildly amusing witticism. :)
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Like what I've seen of fardy insofar as he is a nuts and bolts type but wouldn't assume he is the answer to our 2nd row problems. I had a Damien Browne mkII in mind myself.
I'm a little weary of this signing tbh, our experience with SH locks is more miss than hit and this one has played most of his career in tha backrow (though he does have expereince in the 2nd row). You'd have to think he's not a TH lock and with McCarthy and likely Triggs going that leaves us with Toner and Kearney (he is IIRC).
How do you figure that? Hines was a game changer as was Thorn. Triggs is a bit of a journeyman and he was signed on that basis I think - and to be fair, he's probably been better than expected. Clearly we had a bad experience with Douglas.

Ultimately, lock is probably the one position where we needed a top notch signing and this seems like an excellent signing of a player with a very impressive track record.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

There have been some bad ones - Byrnes, Sykes, Douglas, Galarza etc, and some good ones - Thorn, Hines and to a lesser extent Triggs. And let's not forget a certain Bryce Williams (who despite my sarcasm was actually just about ok).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

The more I think about this signing, the happier I am with it - and I was pretty happy when I heard it first.

Getting a guy who has started in a World Cup final is a really strong piece of recruitment under any circumstances. It doesn't mean that he's automatically going to be a great fit [see Kane Douglas], but it's a hell of a good starting point.

Fardy has got the international experience with 39 caps but for a 32 year old he doesn't have the miles on the clock that you would expect; he doesn't have all the tread rubbed off his tires. Speaking in generalities here, but you'd expect that with his background [more info here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7a0896daed ] he's got a pretty well-formed personality and some proper life experience outside of the elite rugby environment.

He seems like an all-round good egg I think it's fair to say that we can expect him to offer some leadership and a different voice, outside of his obvious abilities on the pitch.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Any chance that James Lowe has an Irish granny? He knows about hard fought wins in Thomond park nannyways.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well James Lowes played for Ireland...
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

No thanks, think we should stick with what we have for the moment.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:No thanks, think we should stick with what we have for the moment.
Would you give Zane 1 or 2 years on that extension?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
paddyor wrote:No thanks, think we should stick with what we have for the moment.
Would you give Zane 1 or 2 years on that extension?
:shock:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Porter lined out at tighthead today for ucd. Obviously AIL is a totally different ball game. But is that the road he's going down? With himself Byrne, Dooley, McGrath and Healy all senior looseheads could he be converted to tighthead? He had the power and the dimensions. With Ross and Bent not getting younger it could be a shrewd move
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Porter lined out at tighthead today for ucd. Obviously AIL is a totally different ball game. But is that the road he's going down? With himself Byrne, Dooley, McGrath and Healy all senior looseheads could he be converted to tighthead? He had the power and the dimensions. With Ross and Bent not getting younger it could be a shrewd move
That's very encouraging to hear, especially if as expected Ross is gone next season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Porter lined out at tighthead today for ucd. Obviously AIL is a totally different ball game. But is that the road he's going down? With himself Byrne, Dooley, McGrath and Healy all senior looseheads could he be converted to tighthead? He had the power and the dimensions. With Ross and Bent not getting younger it could be a shrewd move
Also noted that selection and considered it a very worthwhile development. The performances last evening of Dooley and Ed Byrne were excellent and this continues what has been evident earlier in the Season. Recognising they are in the queue behind McGrath and Healy for Leinster and Ireland is almost frightening. With Porter also in the mix, we are definitely overstocked in this position.

Michael Bent has improved week by week as THP and, IMO, is now a more suitable option than Ross as our THP behind Tadgh Furlong. However, if Porter was to switch sides and make a success of THP, our supply chain in both positions would look very well stocked. Certainly, this is an experiment worth investing in.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Glad to hear that as I have been harping on about it like a broken record for a year or more! Given our resources at loosehead [both in Leinster and for Ireland, to a lesser extent], it makes loads of sense. Tighthead is a harder position to fill, and Porter has all the qualities required of a very good one – size, strength, aggression and competitive mentality. I couldn't realistically imagine either of our two other young looseheads [Ed Byrne or Peter Dooley] switching sides with the same degree of confidence that they would thrive there.

Michael Bent is going very well this season, but Rossy's age [37] is what it is. It's not a worry, it's not a concern, it's just a fact.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Porter is well ahead of the curve in terms of physicality but probably looking at about 2 years to develop him as a TH. But theres enough B & I, gimme home league games where he can be eased into it
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Porter is well ahead of the curve in terms of physicality but probably looking at about 2 years to develop him as a TH. But theres enough B & I, gimme home league games where he can be eased into it
Certainly from the way Porter comports himself about the pitch e.g. the last minute LBT v Scarlets, he looks like young player, who will succeed at whatever he puts his mind too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Mike Mac to Narbonne confirmed: https://twitter.com/RCNMRUGBY/status/838736175594622976

Two years is a great deal for him, has looked way off the pace this year for us imo.

Triggs and him out is a big loss of experience, but it will pave the way for much more game time for Ryan, Molony et al.

Looks like our second row corps for next season are Toner, Fardy, Nagle, Kearney, Molony, Ryan. Probably the best stock we've had in a while.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Not so sure myself, jury is out on 3 of them and Ryan yet to play. A truck tonne of potential there though for sure
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not so sure myself, jury is out on 3 of them and Ryan yet to play. A truck tonne of potential there though for sure
That potential is basically Ryan.

Maybe Molony if he can cut out that missed tackles etc.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

goreyguy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Not so sure myself, jury is out on 3 of them and Ryan yet to play. A truck tonne of potential there though for sure
That potential is basically Ryan.

Maybe Molony if he can cut out that missed tackles etc.
I think he will. He's adjusting to a bit of bulk and will likely have targets set for him. His showings last season indicated he's got the ability, the physicality and awareness will come with gametime and a bit of perseverance.