A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by deco »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:One thing that interview shows is how poor a job Paul Dermody was doing. To get the numbers in the ground from the season ticket base we had last year is dreadfull.

Aye, the big imponderable around Leinster Rugby for the last few years is how, in a city with one pro team and over a million people, can we keep turning in such poor crowds? The growth in sponsorship has been great, but crowds haven’t followed.
The stadium is part of it, as is the weather at certain times of the year, but they seem to have lost momentum quite a bit.

Hopefully the new RDS will help, along with new big name signings and a renewed positivity around the place too.
Casuals want to see the big names
We're going for money not numbers to some extent
We went from winning to not winning
Kick off times
The league being run dowm by the meeja

But considering provincial population we should be doing better
It's difficult for a feeder club/province to TeamIreland to gain traction in the market. Fans aren't going to rush to support what's effectively a vassal team to the main attraction.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One simple thing...I shouldn't be able to go on twitter or facebook etc without being bombarded by videos of James Lowe doing outrageous things on a rugby pitch. There should be a countdown to when he arrives.

Basically we should copy the marketing used in The Simpsons...GABBO IS COMING.
I agree mate, maybe there's an issue with copyright but I don't know

now

elephant in the room time

the atmosphere at a lot of games is dreary
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

deco wrote:
It's difficult for a feeder club/province to TeamIreland to gain traction in the market. Fans aren't going to rush to support what's effectively a vassal team to the main attraction.
I'd be fairly sure that only a tiny minority of Leinster fans would see things in these terms. The more casual the fan the less likely they would be to see things this way.

Some people seem to think that because "Team Ireland" are the primary focus of the IRFU that they are the only focus. Others take it further and seem to believe that Team Ireland are actively working against the provinces particularly their province (no matter which one that is).

I have heard it said that the IRFU wanted Leinster "brought to heel" after they won so much when Ireland were not winning.

Personally I think it's all A/ paranoid nonsense and B/ A fairly bleak view of the world. The IRFU are made up of provincial people who are undoubtedly fans of their province. Of course Ireland are the most important. They generate the most money that pays for all the provinces and the amateur game in each one.

But it is also in everyone's interest that the provinces are doing well. The Leinster Academy for example. Often touted as the best in Europe. That is very important to team Ireland. (obviously) But it can't exist without the fanatical devotion of all it's members to the cause of Leinster.

Weaken Leinster and you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Why do you think it is so hard for other provinces to attract our players? Ulster practically on life support in the back row with 2 Saffers an Irish kiwi and not much else. (Hendo a 2nd row increasingly) Leinster crammed to bursting with back rows. More appearing every time you turn round.

Heaslip Ireland's best ever 8. Jack Conan and Jordi Murphy behind. Max Deegan coming through strongly and Doris appearing behind him before you can say Shh. 6 and 7 are just as stacked.

Back in the amateur days one of Irish Rugby's big problems was that we were "Too provincial"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:
deco wrote:
I'd be fairly sure that only a tiny minority of Leinster fans would see things in these terms. The more casual the fan the less likely they would be to see things this way.

Some people seem to think that because "Team Ireland" are the primary focus of the IRFU that they are the only focus. Others take it further and seem to believe that Team Ireland are actively working against the provinces particularly their province (no matter which one that is).

I have heard it said that the IRFU wanted Leinster "brought to heel" after they won so much when Ireland were not winning.

Personally I think it's all A/ paranoid nonsense and B/ A fairly bleak view of the world. The IRFU are made up of provincial people who are undoubtedly fans of their province. Of course Ireland are the most important. They generate the most money that pays for all the provinces and the amateur game in each one.

But it is also in everyone's interest that the provinces are doing well. The Leinster Academy for example. Often touted as the best in Europe. That is very important to team Ireland. (obviously) But it can't exist without the fanatical devotion of all it's members to the cause of Leinster.

Why do you think it is so hard for other provinces to attract our players? Ulster practically on life support in the back row with 2 Saffers an Irish kiwi and not much else. (Hendo a 2nd row increasingly) Leinster crammed to bursting with back rows. More appearing every time you turn round.

Heaslip Ireland's best ever 8. Jack Conan and Jordi Murphy behind. Max Deegan coming through strongly and Doris appearing behind him before you can say Shh. 6 and 7 are just as stacked.

Back in the amateur days one of Irish Rugby's big problems was that we were "Too provincial"
Pretty much how I see it too. In fact, I reckon the IRFU, in the person of Joe Schmidt, were instrumental in giving MO'C the boot and a year later bringing in Andy Farrell's old Mucker to give Leo a hand - both developments I approved of. As such I'm happy with the current state of the Leinster/Ireland relationship. Think Joe & Nucifora need to do right by de wimmin though, who are currently in a dreadful place, God love them.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

johng wrote:
deco wrote:

Good post and accurate summary. DN has however tried to convince Leinster players to move without going the final, NZ, step. Over there you get one contract offer and if you don't accept that's tough. You might have an overseas option but you don't get to choose to stay in your home Province if NZ Union wants to move you on.

The other DN outlook is that Seven's can become a real development centre in its own right. This hasn't happened anywhere else, possibly except Fiji.

The third DN theme is that Irish Provinces don't develop, or rather promote, good players young enough. IMO, Bomber probably believes this is true and certainly Leinster have moved players up quicker last season.

The major problem with Leinster younger players is a) they believe they get the best coaching there and b) they have no confidence they'll have a chance of winning anything elsewhere and c) they want to stay with their mates, even for less game time.

Great for Leinster, not good for Ireland inc
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

johng wrote:
deco wrote:

Good post and accurate summary. DN has however tried to convince Leinster players to move without going the final, NZ, step. Over there you get one contract offer and if you don't accept that's tough. You might have an overseas option but you don't get to choose to stay in your home Province if NZ Union wants to move you on.

The other DN outlook is that Seven's can become a real development centre in its own right. This hasn't happened anywhere else, possibly except Fiji.

The third DN theme is that Irish Provinces don't develop, or rather promote, good players young enough. IMO, Bomber probably believes this is true and certainly Leinster have moved players up quicker last season.

The major problem with Leinster younger players is a) they believe they get the best coaching there and b) they have no confidence they'll have a chance of winning anything elsewhere and c) they want to stay with their mates, even for less game time.

Great for Leinster, not good for Ireland inc
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:One simple thing...I shouldn't be able to go on twitter or facebook etc without being bombarded by videos of James Lowe doing outrageous things on a rugby pitch. There should be a countdown to when he arrives.

Basically we should copy the marketing used in The Simpsons...GABBO IS COMING.
I agree mate, maybe there's an issue with copyright but I don't know

now

elephant in the room time

the atmosphere at a lot of games is dreary
I agree with that sentiment.

I've watched games of all magnitude in recent years from the South, Anglesea and Grand stands. And some days it's like being in mass. I appreciate many stadiums are like this and a lot of games just wont draw the public enthusiasm. But some are just dire.

Too many times you see Leo banging the drum and the only response being from children. I feel sometimes people are too embarrassed to start chanting or singing or roaring.

Best atmosphere I've seen by a country mile in the RDS in recent times was the Ulster semi final 2016.

I saw a sharp contrast between RDS and Kingspan there at the weekend at the WRWC final. Atmophere was unreal in there. The noise was like nothing I've heard before
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

johng wrote:
deco wrote:

This. Well said sir!

As for the dreary atmosphere, I have to agree with that too sadly. Anyone got any ideas why that is? Are we just not that kind of crowd?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ulster crowd are always a far more vocal bunch

Away fans make a difference in general as they have to be outshouted but we only get them for interpros and some European games

Small vicious circle of packed ground means better atmosphere means more people go and vice versa but aye theres f all singing or chanting from large swathes of the ground

I partly blame demographics
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Demographics out!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The RDS is filled with audience members enjoying the sports experience they've purchased.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster crowd are always a far more vocal bunch

Away fans make a difference in general as they have to be outshouted but we only get them for interpros and some European games

Small vicious circle of packed ground means better atmosphere means more people go and vice versa but aye theres f all singing or chanting from large swathes of the ground

Reminds me of the scene in The Quiet Man where the priest covers his collar and encourages the locals to "Roar like Protestants".
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:The RDS is filled with audience members enjoying the sports experience they've purchased.
partially filled and half of them leave early
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Demographics out!!
we need to develop younger demographics
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

for some reason leinster struggle to get large numbers of students in, both secondary and third level.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:for some reason leinster struggle to get large numbers of students in, both secondary and third level.
six quid for a pint of piss doesn't help
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think part of the reason Ulster fans are louder is the terrace running around Ravers. I've no doubt if we had something similar there'd be a better atmosphere.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:

I think part of the reason Ulster fans are louder is the terrace running around Ravers. I've no doubt if we had something similar there'd be a better atmosphere.
Definitely
That and the nordies be louder in general :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Most of the crowd in the RDS are too genteel/afraid of looking socially awkward to raise their voices
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:Most of the crowd in the RDS are too genteel/afraid of looking socially awkward to raise their voices
Could they not just rattle their jewellery?
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:for some reason leinster struggle to get large numbers of students in, both secondary and third level.
six quid for a pint of piss doesn't help
Given how easy it is to by-pass security I don't buy this

like I often don't buy the expensive beer
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles