Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018

Post by neiliog93 »

It is true that without Ross next season our tight-head depth could be an issue. Maybe the young guys will surprise us. If there were no IRFU involved we'd probably draft in an NIQ, solid journeyman tight-head for a season or so.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Pretty sure ross has stated that he is interested in coaching when he retires.
Also pretty sure he isnt ready to retire yet.. if we lose his scrum knowledge and experience its a big loss
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
Bent will be starting tighthead for a large proportion of the season with Furlong away. Furlong is a strategically important player and gets wrapped in cotton wool if he needs it.

The next 3 have 7 caps between them at tighthead. That wouldn't count as a gamble, it's relying on a miracle.

How would you feel about Loughman or Heffernan being on the bench this weekend? If Ross was available would those guys be close to pushing him out?
It's the same scenario as outhalf this season. One senior guy bolted on, a mid tier player behind (Marsh/Bent) and a few young guys with potential.

Definitely a gamble, but we've managed with Bent and Furlong so far this season. Ross has played less than 500 mins total, and it's likely that he'll be slowing down more next year.

If Porter comes through as a TH like Carbery/Byrne have this season at OH, then that's a big investment in the future.

I'd definitely keep Ross for a year, don't get me wrong, but my suspicion is that this may be a nod to Porter/IRFU and us bringing guys through.

By the by, how good of a signing was Michael Bent? Ridiculed at the start, he's now one of our most important squad players.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If Leinster see Ross as third choice now and also want to give Porter game time then I don't have an issue with him not being offered a contract. He's looked well off the pace at times this season and he's a guy who has always needed regular game time to reach a decent level of performance. If he's not going to get that then I reckon his performances will dip further next season. The cautious side of me would offer him a new deal but not doing so is probably the right call.

That said I'd say he still has some miles left on the clock. Personally I'd like to see him get a big deal in France and then come back as a coach in a couple of years. I think he's capable of that but just might not be the best fit for us right now.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ross should be kept around for his scrum knowledge at the very least, his mentorship of Porter would be worth it alone if he aids Porter adapt and flourish at TH.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:
Bent will be starting tighthead for a large proportion of the season with Furlong away. Furlong is a strategically important player and gets wrapped in cotton wool if he needs it.

The next 3 have 7 caps between them at tighthead. That wouldn't count as a gamble, it's relying on a miracle.

How would you feel about Loughman or Heffernan being on the bench this weekend? If Ross was available would those guys be close to pushing him out?
It's the same scenario as outhalf this season. One senior guy bolted on, a mid tier player behind (Marsh/Bent) and a few young guys with potential.

Definitely a gamble, but we've managed with Bent and Furlong so far this season. Ross has played less than 500 mins total, and it's likely that he'll be slowing down more next year.

If Porter comes through as a TH like Carbery/Byrne have this season at OH, then that's a big investment in the future.

I'd definitely keep Ross for a year, don't get me wrong, but my suspicion is that this may be a nod to Porter/IRFU and us bringing guys through.

By the by, how good of a signing was Michael Bent? Ridiculed at the start, he's now one of our most important squad players.
In Reid and ISA we had guys who could play there, even just to close out a match. Tightheads aren't like that and you're almost always going to be using 2 over a match.

Last season we were stuck a bit and we had emergency needs, especially at scrumhalf that had to come first.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:

In Reid and ISA we had guys who could play there, even just to close out a match. Tightheads aren't like that and you're almost always going to be using 2 over a match.

Last season we were stuck a bit and we had emergency needs, especially at scrumhalf that had to come first.
Luckily we'd have 5 then!

I'm in agreement that Ross leaving would be a blow to our depth, and I'd prefer we give him a contract, but I think we've seen this season that it's not a 'miracle' to think that we'd be ok without him.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:Ross should be kept around for his scrum knowledge at the very least, his mentorship of Porter would be worth it alone if he aids Porter adapt and flourish at TH.
I'd like to see him involved in the coaching side of things. He is renowned as a guy who studies the scrum in depth, and is one of the best scrummagers Ireland has produced in the last thirty years. He's a bright guy, which goes quite a way to becoming a good technical coach. He also came up quite a different route from most other players, and entirely on his own merits, with very little hype. I think that bodes well for a potential coaching career, if he is interested.

On the other hand, as a guy who turns 38 this year [albeit not until the end of the year], you've got to be pragmatic about the upside vs the downside of offering him a contract to play on. He's not going to be around the following season, and every minute of rugby you give him is taking away from a younger player who could use it to build the foundation for the next ten years.

I remember John Hayes playing for Munster in 2011-12 as a 37/38 year old and it was unedifying. He just wasn't able for it anymore. It doesn't tarnish my opinion of him – the man is an absolute legend – but it was half a season too long for him. In fact, I remember him playing for Ireland in a World Cup warm-up against Connacht in Donnybrook in August 2011, and it made for grim viewing. He was getting schooled by Rodney Ah You [who was playing loosehead back then] and I just remember feeling bad for him.

In contrast – and I'm not saying that Leinster do everything right and Munster do everything wrong, but it's an example that springs to mind – we cut Mal O'Kelly at the end of the 2009-10 season when he was 35 and had just given us a very reasonable 13+9 [1123 mins] season. It looked to me like he could have played another season, maybe even made it to 200 Leinster caps; depending on where you look, another 14 or 17 appearances would have got him there. But sometimes you've got to go the route of 'creative destruction' and prune older guys who are on the slide before they reach the bottom and you're footing the bill for it.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The only thing about Ross is that he's never been good in the loose or had pace and mobility, and also started his pro career late so he has less mileage on the clock. Of all people he could probably eke out another year.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This isn't gospel but I believe Mike wont be coaching after he finishes up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

His choice?
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah well I don't know if leinster offered him a coaching role but what I was told was that he has no interest in doing it. I hope he's persuaded otherwise but certainly doesn't seem like it's on the cards at the moment.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I've always thought that Mike would do something with technology, he has a real passion for it
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:This isn't gospel but I believe Mike wont be coaching after he finishes up.
and we thought Jennings was a bad one to lose
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Little birdie told me that Ross might be wearing light blue in the near future. I'd be fecking delighted, although he might struggle to keep up with a bunch of students.
We're all red on the inside.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:I've always thought that Mike would do something with technology, he has a real passion for it
Leinsterfans.com tech support? Does Limecat need help

8-)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Xanthippe wrote:
blockhead wrote:Yep John F is doing a fine job. How many scrums have we lost this season on our own put in?
It's like an obsession- you asked so I feel I have to answer!!!

The answer is 2 (one away to Munster and the second at home to Zebre).

We're 121/123 in the league and 35/35 in Europe

Since this post we've played Cardiff and Wasps and our scrum stats are now:
  • PRO12 - 130/132
    HCup - 44/44
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Xanthippe wrote:
  • PRO12 - 130/132
    HCup - 44/44
Just out of interest but what about the penalty we gave away for wheeling the scrum against Wasps on Saturday? Are scrum penalties not included in the stats?
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

nc6000 wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
  • PRO12 - 130/132
    HCup - 44/44
Just out of interest but what about the penalty we gave away for wheeling the scrum against Wasps on Saturday? Are scrum penalties not included in the stats?
Was it from a Wasps put in? Those stats are for scrums from a Leinster put in I would imagine
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munsterboy wrote:Little birdie told me that Ross might be wearing light blue in the near future. I'd be fecking delighted, although he might struggle to keep up with a bunch of students.
Repeating his leaving in St Michaels?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon