James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Dexter »

papachino wrote:Eddie '"put the ball up the jumper, BOD" O'Sullivan reckons signing James Lowe was a poor move for us:
"Looking at the logjam that Leinster have, I wonder why James Lowe was brought in at all .... It’s a funny signing in that if you’re a young winger at Leinster, you’d wonder where your future lies"

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/smcmah ... ames-lowe/

He has a point, but in fairness, Isa, D.Kearney and McFadden are getting on in age, Barry Daly isn't a spring chicken and our only real 'prospects for the future' at the moment are Adam Byrne and Jordan Larmour (whose a fullback).

He also states that, because he's not an AB with 50 caps, he's not going to bring anything into the team; in terms of development. From what I've seen so far, hes got more wing-play savvy (especially going into contact) than anything we've ever had... I feel like all the players will learn off him.
Maybe he should be moved to Munster too? Good man Eddie.
Dont Panic!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

papachino wrote:Eddie '"put the ball up the jumper, BOD" O'Sullivan reckons signing James Lowe was a poor move for us:
"Looking at the logjam that Leinster have, I wonder why James Lowe was brought in at all .... It’s a funny signing in that if you’re a young winger at Leinster, you’d wonder where your future lies"

He has a point, but in fairness, Isa, D.Kearney and McFadden are getting on in age, Barry Daly isn't a spring chicken and our only real 'prospects for the future' at the moment are Adam Byrne and Jordan Larmour (whose a fullback).

He also states that, because he's not an AB with 50 caps, he's not going to bring anything into the team; in terms of development. From what I've seen so far, hes got more wing-play savvy (especially going into contact) than anything we've ever had... I feel like all the players will learn off him.
That's what you get when you click on a punditarena link....
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Eddie has given up on getting a big job in coaching and in order to further his media career has taken to responding to self-generated "controversies".

Consequently nothing he says is of any interest any more.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I haven't clicked the link so not sure if he's been taken out of context but to be fair he was just saying that we have a lot of options so wasn't sure if he was needed...and that's backed up pretty well by us not even registering him for this weekend.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

It's a poor move in that we have signed 3 players who can't play at the same time. Lowe looks like a top signing but then again so is Fardy. By the way, Larmour isn't a full back per se, he played 13 in school, he's only started playing FB in the last year or so within the Leinster system, I still think his best position is outside center given his acceleration and gas given an inch of space.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

I feel very old if you think 25 isn't a spring chicken
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I thought Zebo played for Munster!
What's EOS on about.
No doubt some kind poster will fix that for me and simply change it to "What's EOS on"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:

I feel very old if you think 25 isn't a spring chicken
Double that with a lot interest added.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Good man Eddie
Munster have Earls, Zebo, Wooton and Sweetnam, what do they have in common?
They score tries.
What do we have?
A 35 yr old who should be let retire gracefully and then another bunch who have scored 2 tries between them.
Larmour is getting plenty of action in his first season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fred Funk wrote:Good man Eddie
Munster have Earls, Zebo, Wooton and Sweetnam, what do they have in common?
They score tries.
What do we have?
A 35 yr old who should be let retire gracefully and then another bunch who have scored 2 tries between them.
Larmour is getting plenty of action in his first season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
:lol:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Murray Kinsella is back! Woo hoo.
First up: an excellent analysis of Lowe:
http://www.the42.ie/analysis-leinster-j ... 3-Jan2018/
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Interesting comments from Bomber on Lowe, and others.
Among the backs and leaving aside Josh van der Flier, James Ryan, Dan Leavy or Tadhg Furlong, the backline is bristling with young players who have a perceived X-factor in Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Joey Carbery, and Kiwi James Lowe.

With Carbery just back at training after a wrist fracture and Ringrose recovering from an ankle operation, it’s not a question for the selection against Glasgow this week. But on another day could all four be accommodated or are the combined go-forward instincts too developed?

“Definitely, they could play together,” says Lancaster. “Because they’ve got to be able to defend as well.

“I would never compromise a team’s defensive cohesion or structure or strength just for a player who has X-factor, a player who can do something in attack but not in defence. “Jordan’s positioning has been very good at 15. Defensively he’s has been very good. Garry is obviously a very good defender. Joey is an excellent defender.

“James Lowe – I’m working on him – he is coming from a very different defence system from where he was playing with the Chiefs and Tasman in New Zealand. It is part of the reason why I was cautious about putting him straight in there. He needed to understand how we defend at Leinster.

Although Ringrose and Carbery are just 22-years-old, 20-year-old Larmour has become the next best thing, and could get his first European start this weekend. There is always a next best thing.

In Larmour Lancaster sees a likeness to an England and Exeter Chiefs’ player who also plays wing, fullback and in the centre. “The player he reminds me most of from England is Jack Nowell,” says Lancaster.

“Jack is a very similar type of player who could play full-back, wing, No 13 and he can pop up all over the place, and he is a threat. Jack is slightly stockier, probably hasn’t got the top-end speed that Jordan has.” Larmour has also become a poster boy for playing across sports, and the coach in Lancaster can see the borrowings. Different skill sets have combined to make him a better rugby player.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

You would want to try really, really hard not to like James Lowe:
https://twitter.com/jameslowenz/status/ ... 1489946624
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote:You would want to try really, really hard not to like James Lowe:
That is just brilliant!!! :lol: :clap:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
curates_egg wrote:You would want to try really, really hard not to like James Lowe:
That is just brilliant!!! :lol: :clap:
Making himself at home, it would appear..... LMFAO!!!!!
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Watched a recording of the weekend's Highlanders vs Crusaders match today. Ben Smith leaps for a high ball with leg extended horizontal, studs up. The commentator (Justin Marshall?) gushes about how great this is, and it makes defenders think twice about competing. I guess that is why Lowe was bemused when he was penalized for same in one of the Pro 14 matches. I think our hemisphere is right on this, keep the knee up but don't go Full Eric Cantona on it.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

http://www.the42.ie/james-lowe-leinster ... 4-May2018/

Good insight into Lowe's approach/mentality. Amazing that Graham Henry is so complimentary of Leinster considering he spent only two weeks in pre-season.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Probably posted here before but this lad has come through some hard times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6B63HnuWIc
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

blockhead wrote:Probably posted here before but this lad has come through some hard times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6B63HnuWIc
great - i really like that bloke.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

13 appearances for the year, all starts at left wing. 10 tries.

Incredible player who’s only going to get better. I was really happy that he got to play the Pro14 having missed out in Europe.