James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Golf Man »

curates_egg wrote:Super signing.
A real finisher: something we haven't really had since Hickie.
Will be great to have him when Byrne is inevitably lost to the Ireland squad.
Pity that Zane is only turning in some performances now.

Do you not have one in Byrne???

Great signing for Leinster but if himself and Nacewa are lining out together next year its hard to argue that's not detrimental to Irish back 3 players? Suppose Ulster will probably have two of their backrows NIQ next year so its not like there isn't a precedent
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
cormac wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:He'll be ours for 3 years and then is able to qualify for Ireland at a good age. He looks like a serious finisher with great pace. My only question is on the highlight clips he was in the 11 jersey for nearly every try. Is he usually a winger? Anyone seen him in the 15 jersey?
Suspect it'll be five years qualification by the time he's joined us.
It might be, but if he's signed a contract now, then it'll be three years.
It could go the other way and Bundee, Tom McCartney, Ludik and the rest might have to wait another 2 years. No guarantees that they will preserve the status of those already in "the system"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Golf Man wrote:

Great signing for Leinster but if himself and Nacewa are lining out together next year its hard to argue that's not detrimental to Irish back 3 players? Suppose Ulster will probably have two of their backrows NIQ next year so its not like there isn't a precedent
And Munster with 2 second rows and 2 centres?
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Wasn't expecting that at all! Could this be a sign that the supposed bad blood between Leinster and Nucifora is no longer the case and we are all on the same page now? Pure speculation but I got the impression with Taute and Sailli in Munster that there was some kind of agreement that they couldn't play together blocking Irish players from the centre and perhaps there are more ad hoc arrangements like that being put in place to succeed the previous (never adhered to) rules?

I felt we should have been allowed sign an outhalf capable utility last year but it worked out. I did think that another lock was what was necessary to turn us into a Europe winning team but felt we were probably getting there in the outside backs.

Delighted with the signings anyway.
Nucifora is signalling that Joe is going to continue to draw heavily on Leinster players for Ireland duty and that being the case, Leinster needs decent backup during those international periods.
Given that the back 3 options in the 6 Nations are 3 Ulster, 3 Munster, 1 Connacht and 1 Ulster - IU'd suggest that its just as likely that Nucifora wants Leinster winning above all else. Lowe isn't signed as backup
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

johng wrote: It could go the other way and Bundee, Tom McCartney, Ludik and the rest might have to wait another 2 years. No guarantees that they will preserve the status of those already in "the system"
Surely wont apply to them.

If and probably when it is extended to 5 it will have to be on a "from now on" basis.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote: It could go the other way and Bundee, Tom McCartney, Ludik and the rest might have to wait another 2 years. No guarantees that they will preserve the status of those already in "the system"

No, it couldn't. If you sign a contract under a certain regulatory environment with reasonable expectations based upon that environment, then a change in the environment can't be imposed on you. Players who have signed contracts will be granted what are known as Grandfather Exemptions
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Great signing. I concur with SO'K that the IRFU seem finally to have realised that competitive provinces at the top European level and success for the national team are not mutually exclusive but rather a prerequisite. Personally I reckon Joe is driving the IRFU towards the NZ model where the national team and the levels thereunder are full coordinated. I also suspect he was involved via Andy Farrell in Lancaster coming to these shores. When I reflect on Leinster's demolition of the Scarlets and how well coached our team looks the last weeks, all I can say is "More of the same, please!"
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

johng wrote:
Golf Man wrote:

And Munster with 2 second rows and 2 centres?
No comparison

1. The second rows as well you know have never been in competition with each other - I don't think anyone expects Chisholm to play for Munster again and if he was fit Kleyn signing wouldn't have been allowed
2. Munster are no doubt pushing it with having retained Taute for the second half of the season - no problem with him coming in to replace Sailli as a medical joker for the first half. who is missing game time with Munster - possibly Ian Keatley and Dan Goggin (Sailli and Taute are only in the 23 together if Scannell is covering 10). Who will miss game time if Lowe and Nacewa play together in the back 3 - Byrne, Kearney x 2, ROL, Dardis - if I was the IRFU I know who from that comparison I'd want getting game time

As I said I'm not bothered - I'm not even sure that there is a fully set out approach to this - would have thought that Leinster woudl be looking more for a utility back, particularly centre cover tbh
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
macboomba wrote:I think McFadden could be in danger. Hasn't be great in the last 2 seasons and has made some bad defensive errors and looks to be trying too hard.

Continues to give his all and is ultra competitive as he showed at the breakdown against the Scarlets but has got to be under real pressure now to hold onto a squad place.
Was thinking the same, his contract is up in the summer
I think McFadden's contract is to June 2018. But yeah, he'll be coming on 32 then and potentially in trouble.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Now that is a serious signing. I've been saying for years that we need a top class back three player with real pace and now that I'm finally happy with our back three options we bring in a guy like this :lol:

Very very surprised that the IRFU have allowed but I think the discussion around it is really missing the point about how good this guy is. On paper I get why people would question it, but if you've seen him play you've just got to be excited about it and amazed that Leinster have pulled it off. He should really be an All Black and we're getting him in his prime, brilliant work by all concerned.

Tbh I was a bit underwhelmed by the Fardy signing, don't really get the positive reaction given that he'll be in the second row (a world class 6 though, no doubt) but this really is a great signing IMO.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:

No, it couldn't. If you sign a contract under a certain regulatory environment with reasonable expectations based upon that environment, then a change in the environment can't be imposed on you. Players who have signed contracts will be granted what are known as Grandfather Exemptions
Wouldn't be so sure of that - and it certainly isn't so clear cut

The change in the rule wouldn't affect the players materially, and there aren't any guarantees written into these contracts afaik (i'm sure there is no guarantee of national selection). A reasonable expectation is that the environment doesn't change to prevent you from benefiting from the contract you have signed - changing the rule won't affect that -> say a guy who signed in 2015 - is it a reasonable expectation that the future rules and regulations will not change and unduly affect a contract that you may sign in the future (2018 say)??

I can't see the contractual arguement working - but I can see a middle ground where there will be some agreement on a date to change the rules. Personally I'd prefer that its not related to contracts. Something like post 2019 world cup, all residency qualified guys have to have 5 years seems fair
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Now that is a serious signing. I've been saying for years that we need a top class back three player with real pace and now that I'm finally happy with our back three options we bring in a guy like this :lol:
He's a lot of things, LRIP, but he ain't an out and out speedster by any stretch.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If you contract for three years in an environment where three years is the qualifying period then it is reasonable to expect to be qualified after a period of three years. There are literally 100s of examples of this type of thing in professional sport ranging from spitballs to Bayer Leverkusen. If the qualifying period is extended, by no means certain btw, then it will be accompanied by a grandfather exemption for players currently under contract (never mind a loophole that will allow the tier one countries do an end around it somehow)
I have Bumbleflex
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

Is that the winger who sweetnam burnt over 60 meters in the munster v maori game. I've actually watched a few clips of him before and his positioning always seems to be good, seems like an intelligent player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ah he's very quick. Loads more to his game, I don't mean it in the sense that he's a Matt Healy type player but he's still very quick and great at beating defenders. Personally I'd say he's quicker than a lot of guys we've had in the back three over the last few seasons, less so now though alright.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Arrives after the Mitre 10 cup finishes. If Tasman make the final, which they did last year, he'll arrive in November.
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

Golf Man wrote: No comparison

1. The second rows as well you know have never been in competition with each other - I don't think anyone expects Chisholm to play for Munster again and if he was fit Kleyn signing wouldn't have been allowed
2. Munster are no doubt pushing it with having retained Taute for the second half of the season - no problem with him coming in to replace Sailli as a medical joker for the first half. who is missing game time with Munster - possibly Ian Keatley and Dan Goggin (Sailli and Taute are only in the 23 together if Scannell is covering 10). Who will miss game time if Lowe and Nacewa play together in the back 3 - Byrne, Kearney x 2, ROL, Dardis - if I was the IRFU I know who from that comparison I'd want getting game time

As I said I'm not bothered - I'm not even sure that there is a fully set out approach to this - would have thought that Leinster woudl be looking more for a utility back, particularly centre cover tbh
ROL is a centre. He's played well there anytime i've seen him. He's backup to ringrose so will get plenty of game time. IMO Byrne is Leinster's best winger so he will also get a lot of game time.
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

is it the same player from munster v maori game?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yea.

Two really exciting signings. Quality players. About bleeding time.
Dave Cahill wrote:If the qualifying period is extended, by no means certain btw, then it will be accompanied by a grandfather exemption for players currently under contract
Yeah it would be a legal minefield for the administrators to try to enforce the 5 year period on any players contracted under the old rules. They could try it, but they wont.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
macboomba wrote:I think McFadden could be in danger. Hasn't be great in the last 2 seasons and has made some bad defensive errors and looks to be trying too hard.

Continues to give his all and is ultra competitive as he showed at the breakdown against the Scarlets but has got to be under real pressure now to hold onto a squad place.
Was thinking the same, his contract is up in the summer
I think McFadden's contract is to June 2018. But yeah, he'll be coming on 32 then and potentially in trouble.
I have McFadden's up in 2017 from the central contracts (and others) thread

If we've signed a glamourous left wing might it also mean Dave Kearney is in the international wilderness now? And or is he just injured too often?
Number 23 gets very interesting for us next year
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon