James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by COYBIB »

I would argue this is potentially one of the most important signings we will have made since the days of Isa and Rocky coming in for 2008/09, almost a decade.

No matter how good or bad Lowe turns out to be, this was a massive signing regardless, a 24 year old project player who had calls for him to be included in the All Blacks starting line up, let along squad. That's Isa Nacewa level greatness, without the 1 cap and younger even than when we got Nacewa. So that's the potential of this signing, but most importantly, is this opportunity. There's somebody out there who would come here and be a world class winger, we've finally had the opportunity to make a play for that, whether or not we got it right, this was a massive signing.

I would argue with the scrum halves coming through (and we may have botched our opportunity to sign a young project 9 by getting a decent but in no way spectacular 9, but imagine we got that one right and had a long term international quality 9, up there with Conor Murray, sort of project player...), with the talent at 10, the young centres... if we can get a world class back three, we will have an incredible back line for a long, long time. And I don't think we have any worries in the back-row or at loose head for a very, very long time. Hooker, tight-head and lock all need some more talent to come through, but there's some very decent prospects at the moment.

I suppose my point being, we have a generation coming through that maybe, MAYBE could be as good as, if not better, than the O'Driscoll generation, now all but completely gone. (I'm talking Contepomi, Sexton, D'Arcy, Nacewa, O'Driscoll, Horgan, Hickie, Jennings, Cullen, Mal etc. etc.) But in order to do that, what we need most are finishers and world class back-three. If we could get the back-three right for the long term, we are in serious business. That's the key component missing right now in my opinion.

Lowe isn't a speedster, despite what you might hear, he got absolutely burned by Darren Sweetman, who is very quick, but definitely not a speedster, but that's ok, neither is / was Nacewa (the absolute gold standard in world class signings), but if this guy is All Blacks caliber, we're in serious business along the way to achieving that goal.

If he's a bust, it could set us back years in developing that talent.

One way or another, massive signing.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Agree with you regarding lowe but he does have serious enough pace. Might not be lightning quick but I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him in action. Also his offloading ability will be as good as we will see from anyone in blue this year. Serious signing!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Agree with you regarding lowe but he does have serious enough pace. Might not be lightning quick but I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him in action. Also his offloading ability will be as good as we will see from anyone in blue this year. Serious signing!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Lowe's pace is probably a bit below average for a super rugby wing, but he's excellent in most other facets of play.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.
Looking at how often McKenzie is involved in Lowe's tries, you can see the logic in developing Joey as our No 15. As they learn each others skill-sets, they should be great together.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
ronk wrote:Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.
Looking at how often McKenzie is involved in Lowe's tries, you can see the logic in developing Joey as our No 15. As they learn each others skill-sets, they should be great together.
Only downside is Joey Carberry will be Kiwiified in the media even more
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
Only downside is Joey Carberry will be Kiwiified in the media even more
Not really a huge concern- as downsides go, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

it will keep me awake at night
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

From that highlight reel, he reminds me a bit of Nacewa, but maybe with an extra bit of oomph to his play. As Ronk said, he's not the quickest winger, but he's quick, not massive, but big, but the real talent seems to be footwork, intelligence and handling. Some of his offloads and takes in the video are excellent. Some nice kicking as well, I know he covers full-back, so that would be a big bonus if he had a big left boot on him.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Carbury persisted with at 15 and Byrne to be understudy to Sexton. If the likes of Lowe and Larmour come good, added with Henshaw and Ringrose in the centre and McGrath at scrum half, there's potential for a top class back-line there, all under the age of 25.

9. McGrath 10. Byrne 11. Lowe 12. Henshaw 13. Ringrose 14. Larmour 15. Carbury - Tasty.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

I wouldn't stick with Carbery at 15. He is one of the most promising #10s in World Rugby and we are wasting vital development opportunities especially with Sexton not considered.

He is far from the finished article, which is why he gets undue flack here, but we need to invest in game time at 10.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

MelbourneRebel wrote:I wouldn't stick with Carbery at 15. He is one of the most promising #10s in World Rugby and we are wasting vital development opportunities especially with Sexton not considered.

He is far from the finished article, which is why he gets undue flack here, but we need to invest in game time at 10.
It has been nice to have a genuine attacking threat at 15 though and he was again one of our standout players last night. A back 3 of him and Lowe could be mouth watering.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd rather have Carberry on the field than that so 15 when Sexton plays, 10 when Sexton doesnt, when it comes to the real team for me
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

simonokeeffe wrote:I'd rather have Carberry on the field than that so 15 when Sexton plays, 10 when Sexton doesnt, when it comes to the real team for me
Sort of agree.

If Carbury stays as a 10 now he will have a long career after Sexton as Ireland no 1 out-half and in competition with Bleyendel and Jackson but he will be lost to a really key position unless he continues to play there regularly.

From looking at the Cheetahs game Carbury looks to have bulked up a bit over the summer while retaining his instinctive flair. It would be a pity to lose that potential at 10 even if he eventually becomes a very good 15.

SOK's solution probably best.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.
I have Bumbleflex
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.
As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

matt wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.
As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)
Graham Henry, Lions 2001?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the spoofer wrote:
matt wrote:
Correct.
Clearly his selection of Howe over Hickie as a mud-tracker replacement for that tour was his career-defining moment.
Last edited by curates_egg on September 25th, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

the spoofer wrote:
matt wrote:
That's ok we will forget about the TH v DH error but he is right about Carbury he can be the next Irish out half for 10 years!