James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster Rugby can this morning confirm the signing of 24 year old back James Lowe from Super Rugby side the Chiefs.

The six foot two Maori All Blacks player has made 39 appearances for the Chiefs with 18 tries to his name and has represented the Maori All Blacks on five occasions scoring six tries – including one against Munster last November in Thomond Park.

Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen confirmed the signing this morning to leinsterrugby.ie, “James is a quality and still relatively young outside back that we have been tracking for some time, so we are delighted that he has agreed to join us.

“James has picked up considerable experience from his time with the Tasman Makos, the Chiefs and the Maori All Blacks. We hope he can bring the learnings from his time spent with these teams and really add to our environment here.

“We believe James will greatly add to the outside backs that we have and provide good competition in the squad as we look to remain competitive in both the Guinness PRO12 and the Champions Cup.

“We look forward to welcoming James to Leinster and seeing him out on the field representing the team once his commitments in New Zealand come to a close.”

Lowe made his Super Rugby debut in 2014 against the Crusaders and scored a try after coming on as a substitute. Since then he has added a further 17 tries to his name and has already scored three tries in the first two rounds of the Super Rugby season.

He will join up with his new Leinster team mates after the conclusion of the 2017 Mitre 10 Cup campaign which he will play for his home province Tasman.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie he said, “I am very excited by the challenge that lies ahead at Leinster Rugby.

“Everyone knows about Leinster and what they have achieved over the last eight years or so but I have also spoken to a few people that I know in Leinster and they have nothing but positive things to say about the club and city. I also really enjoyed my visit to Ireland with the Maori All Blacks last year.

“I am looking forward to getting stuck in and to making an impression at my new club and contributing in whatever way I can.

“Until that time my focus is on the Chiefs and Tasman and doing as much as I can to ensure that I leave New Zealand rugby on a high.”

Lowe’s signature comes on the back of news last week that Leinster had secured the services of Australian forward Scott Fardy ahead of the 2017/18 season, as well as confirming seven graduates from the Leinster Academy programme including Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Nick McCarthy, Andrew Porter, Rory O’Loughlin, Peadar Timmins and James Ryan.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by Dave Cahill »

And before anyone asks, because they always do - no, the Maori All Blacks are not a disqualifying level.
I have Bumbleflex
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Some highlights here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-yxEwyg2YQ

1.04 is good to see
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bloody hell, I can't handle all this good news of late.

Bring back MOC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Really surprised we got this one through, not complaining though, seems like a serious player. Delighted.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

So do we get to sing "Swing Lowe" now?
A proud Winsome Fluter
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:So do we get to sing "Swing Lowe" now?
Bwahahaha.

Great signing. I'm sure the "he will be blocking our young lads" brigade will be out in force. And they will have a point in fairness. But he could well put a few arses on seats and flog a few season tickets which is good too.

A guy like him is what we were looking for before the emergence of Byrne and O'Loughlin. I'm sure they will continue to prosper despite his signing.

Shows the ambition of the club, and a pat on the head from mr Nucifora for producing so many players for Ireland.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

cormac wrote:Bloody hell, I can't handle all this good news of late.

Bring back MOC.
It would certainly spice up the competition in the outside backs.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Wasn't expecting that at all! Could this be a sign that the supposed bad blood between Leinster and Nucifora is no longer the case and we are all on the same page now? Pure speculation but I got the impression with Taute and Sailli in Munster that there was some kind of agreement that they couldn't play together blocking Irish players from the centre and perhaps there are more ad hoc arrangements like that being put in place to succeed the previous (never adhered to) rules?

I felt we should have been allowed sign an outhalf capable utility last year but it worked out. I did think that another lock was what was necessary to turn us into a Europe winning team but felt we were probably getting there in the outside backs.

Delighted with the signings anyway.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Good player.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looks like IRFUifora want us winning trophies. Project playerness probably key to it

Makes me suspect more that Isa is midweek captain/bit part next year. Back 3 of RK Byrne Lowe is tasty
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

He'll be ours for 3 years and then is able to qualify for Ireland at a good age. He looks like a serious finisher with great pace. My only question is on the highlight clips he was in the 11 jersey for nearly every try. Is he usually a winger? Anyone seen him in the 15 jersey?
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

I think McFadden could be in danger. Hasn't be great in the last 2 seasons and has made some bad defensive errors and looks to be trying too hard.

Continues to give his all and is ultra competitive as he showed at the breakdown against the Scarlets but has got to be under real pressure now to hold onto a squad place.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Super signing.
A real finisher: something we haven't really had since Hickie.
Will be great to have him when Byrne is inevitably lost to the Ireland squad.
Pity that Zane is only turning in some performances now.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

sunshiner1 wrote:He'll be ours for 3 years and then is able to qualify for Ireland at a good age. He looks like a serious finisher with great pace. My only question is on the highlight clips he was in the 11 jersey for nearly every try. Is he usually a winger? Anyone seen him in the 15 jersey?
He played 15 for the Maoris.
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote:He'll be ours for 3 years and then is able to qualify for Ireland at a good age. He looks like a serious finisher with great pace. My only question is on the highlight clips he was in the 11 jersey for nearly every try. Is he usually a winger? Anyone seen him in the 15 jersey?
Suspect it'll be five years qualification by the time he's joined us.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

macboomba wrote:I think McFadden could be in danger. Hasn't be great in the last 2 seasons and has made some bad defensive errors and looks to be trying too hard.

Continues to give his all and is ultra competitive as he showed at the breakdown against the Scarlets but has got to be under real pressure now to hold onto a squad place.
Was thinking the same, his contract is up in the summer
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:
Suspect it'll be five years qualification by the time he's joined us.
It might be, but if he's signed a contract now, then it'll be three years.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Wasn't expecting that at all! Could this be a sign that the supposed bad blood between Leinster and Nucifora is no longer the case and we are all on the same page now? Pure speculation but I got the impression with Taute and Sailli in Munster that there was some kind of agreement that they couldn't play together blocking Irish players from the centre and perhaps there are more ad hoc arrangements like that being put in place to succeed the previous (never adhered to) rules?

I felt we should have been allowed sign an outhalf capable utility last year but it worked out. I did think that another lock was what was necessary to turn us into a Europe winning team but felt we were probably getting there in the outside backs.

Delighted with the signings anyway.
Nucifora is signalling that Joe is going to continue to draw heavily on Leinster players for Ireland duty and that being the case, Leinster needs decent backup during those international call up periods.
Basically Joe has his own depth chart and Leinster players are hitting the criteria.
A lot of this has to be down to Burt's presence, none of the other provinces have a coach of his ability.
Last edited by Oldschool on March 6th, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:So do we get to sing "Swing Lowe" now?
We will have a better reason to sing the Fields than down in Mordor.
Lowe lie...