James Lowe signs for Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby COYBIB » August 18th, 2017, 5:11 pm

I would argue this is potentially one of the most important signings we will have made since the days of Isa and Rocky coming in for 2008/09, almost a decade.

No matter how good or bad Lowe turns out to be, this was a massive signing regardless, a 24 year old project player who had calls for him to be included in the All Blacks starting line up, let along squad. That's Isa Nacewa level greatness, without the 1 cap and younger even than when we got Nacewa. So that's the potential of this signing, but most importantly, is this opportunity. There's somebody out there who would come here and be a world class winger, we've finally had the opportunity to make a play for that, whether or not we got it right, this was a massive signing.

I would argue with the scrum halves coming through (and we may have botched our opportunity to sign a young project 9 by getting a decent but in no way spectacular 9, but imagine we got that one right and had a long term international quality 9, up there with Conor Murray, sort of project player...), with the talent at 10, the young centres... if we can get a world class back three, we will have an incredible back line for a long, long time. And I don't think we have any worries in the back-row or at loose head for a very, very long time. Hooker, tight-head and lock all need some more talent to come through, but there's some very decent prospects at the moment.

I suppose my point being, we have a generation coming through that maybe, MAYBE could be as good as, if not better, than the O'Driscoll generation, now all but completely gone. (I'm talking Contepomi, Sexton, D'Arcy, Nacewa, O'Driscoll, Horgan, Hickie, Jennings, Cullen, Mal etc. etc.) But in order to do that, what we need most are finishers and world class back-three. If we could get the back-three right for the long term, we are in serious business. That's the key component missing right now in my opinion.

Lowe isn't a speedster, despite what you might hear, he got absolutely burned by Darren Sweetman, who is very quick, but definitely not a speedster, but that's ok, neither is / was Nacewa (the absolute gold standard in world class signings), but if this guy is All Blacks caliber, we're in serious business along the way to achieving that goal.

If he's a bust, it could set us back years in developing that talent.

One way or another, massive signing.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
User avatar
COYBIB
Enlightened
 
Posts: 898
Joined: February 27th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby carlow man » August 18th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Agree with you regarding lowe but he does have serious enough pace. Might not be lightning quick but I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him in action. Also his offloading ability will be as good as we will see from anyone in blue this year. Serious signing!
carlow man
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 316
Joined: August 22nd, 2014, 4:25 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby carlow man » August 18th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Agree with you regarding lowe but he does have serious enough pace. Might not be lightning quick but I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him in action. Also his offloading ability will be as good as we will see from anyone in blue this year. Serious signing!
carlow man
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 316
Joined: August 22nd, 2014, 4:25 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby neiliog93 » August 19th, 2017, 3:34 am

Lowe's pace is probably a bit below average for a super rugby wing, but he's excellent in most other facets of play.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby riocard911 » August 22nd, 2017, 11:37 pm

riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby ronk » September 22nd, 2017, 1:21 am

Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9094
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby Ruckedtobits » September 22nd, 2017, 6:07 am

ronk wrote:Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.


Looking at how often McKenzie is involved in Lowe's tries, you can see the logic in developing Joey as our No 15. As they learn each others skill-sets, they should be great together.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby simonokeeffe » September 22nd, 2017, 8:45 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:
ronk wrote:Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.


Looking at how often McKenzie is involved in Lowe's tries, you can see the logic in developing Joey as our No 15. As they learn each others skill-sets, they should be great together.


Only downside is Joey Carberry will be Kiwiified in the media even more
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16776
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby artaneboy » September 22nd, 2017, 10:25 am

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
ronk wrote:Nice reel. He's big but not huge, fast but not lightning. Good offloaded who runs intelligent lines but above all he's a stepper with super footwork.


Looking at how often McKenzie is involved in Lowe's tries, you can see the logic in developing Joey as our No 15. As they learn each others skill-sets, they should be great together.


Only downside is Joey Carberry will be Kiwiified in the media even more

Not really a huge concern- as downsides go, is it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby simonokeeffe » September 22nd, 2017, 10:58 am

it will keep me awake at night
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16776
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby COYBIB » September 22nd, 2017, 6:18 pm

From that highlight reel, he reminds me a bit of Nacewa, but maybe with an extra bit of oomph to his play. As Ronk said, he's not the quickest winger, but he's quick, not massive, but big, but the real talent seems to be footwork, intelligence and handling. Some of his offloads and takes in the video are excellent. Some nice kicking as well, I know he covers full-back, so that would be a big bonus if he had a big left boot on him.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Carbury persisted with at 15 and Byrne to be understudy to Sexton. If the likes of Lowe and Larmour come good, added with Henshaw and Ringrose in the centre and McGrath at scrum half, there's potential for a top class back-line there, all under the age of 25.

9. McGrath 10. Byrne 11. Lowe 12. Henshaw 13. Ringrose 14. Larmour 15. Carbury - Tasty.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
User avatar
COYBIB
Enlightened
 
Posts: 898
Joined: February 27th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby MelbourneRebel » September 23rd, 2017, 12:28 am

I wouldn't stick with Carbery at 15. He is one of the most promising #10s in World Rugby and we are wasting vital development opportunities especially with Sexton not considered.

He is far from the finished article, which is why he gets undue flack here, but we need to invest in game time at 10.
User avatar
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 325
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 5:11 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby Keith » September 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am

MelbourneRebel wrote:I wouldn't stick with Carbery at 15. He is one of the most promising #10s in World Rugby and we are wasting vital development opportunities especially with Sexton not considered.

He is far from the finished article, which is why he gets undue flack here, but we need to invest in game time at 10.

It has been nice to have a genuine attacking threat at 15 though and he was again one of our standout players last night. A back 3 of him and Lowe could be mouth watering.
Keith
Enlightened
 
Posts: 856
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby simonokeeffe » September 23rd, 2017, 1:33 pm

I'd rather have Carberry on the field than that so 15 when Sexton plays, 10 when Sexton doesnt, when it comes to the real team for me
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16776
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby matt » September 25th, 2017, 3:51 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:I'd rather have Carberry on the field than that so 15 when Sexton plays, 10 when Sexton doesnt, when it comes to the real team for me


Sort of agree.

If Carbury stays as a 10 now he will have a long career after Sexton as Ireland no 1 out-half and in competition with Bleyendel and Jackson but he will be lost to a really key position unless he continues to play there regularly.

From looking at the Cheetahs game Carbury looks to have bulked up a bit over the summer while retaining his instinctive flair. It would be a pity to lose that potential at 10 even if he eventually becomes a very good 15.

SOK's solution probably best.
matt
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 461
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby Dave Cahill » September 25th, 2017, 4:04 pm

If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21276
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby matt » September 25th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.


As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)
matt
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 461
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby the spoofer » September 25th, 2017, 4:16 pm

matt wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.


As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)


Graham Henry, Lions 2001?
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2321
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby curates_egg » September 25th, 2017, 4:21 pm

the spoofer wrote:
matt wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.


As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)


Graham Henry, Lions 2001?


Correct.
Clearly his selection of Howe over Hickie as a mud-tracker replacement for that tour was his career-defining moment.
Last edited by curates_egg on September 25th, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
curates_egg
Mullet
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby matt » September 25th, 2017, 4:23 pm

the spoofer wrote:
matt wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If the guy who thought that Tyrone Howe was a better player than Denis Hickie hadn't given Carbury his imprimatur, would we even be having this conversation I wonder.


As the Yanks would say now you're being obtuse Dave. Who the hell could ever believe TH better than DH (Kidney, Lancaster???)


Graham Henry, Lions 2001?


That's ok we will forget about the TH v DH error but he is right about Carbury he can be the next Irish out half for 10 years!
matt
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 461
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 1:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests