Moderator: moderators

Mike McCarthy leaving.

Postby goreyguy » March 6th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Signed 2 year contract for Narbonne.
goreyguy
Brian O'Driscoll

Re: Mike McCarthy leaving.

Postby johng » March 6th, 2017, 3:02 pm

goreyguy wrote:Signed 2 year contract for Narbonne.

Heard that as a rumour a few weeks ago. I hope he stays healthy and Prospers
johng
Leo Cullen

Postby the spoofer » March 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Best of luck Mike Mc, he has served Connacht, Leinster and Ireland with distinction and a 2 year deal in a lovely town like Narbonne is great to get.
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey

Postby Logorrhea » March 6th, 2017, 3:08 pm

yeah that one was doing the rounds for a while.

Will be a shame to see him go. I was always happy to see his name on the team sheet, comfortable in the knowledge he could compete at the highest standard. He was there for some great days.

Hope he stays healthy and is being well rewarded.
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby riocard911 » March 6th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Wish him the best of luck. He channelled the disappointment of not getting the nod for RWC 2015 into being, IMO, our best and most reliable forward in the first half of last season. Brought solidity and leadership when Cullen's Cubs needed it. Without him I don't think we would have finished tops at the end of the regular season. The knock he shipped in the FRA vs IRE match cut short what up till then was an impressive return to form. Bon voyage, Mick Mac, and thanks for everything.
riocard911
Enlightened

Postby Oldschool » March 6th, 2017, 4:39 pm

riocard911 wrote:Wish him the best of luck. He channelled the disappointment of not getting the nod for RWC 2015 into being, IMO, our best and most reliable forward in the first half of last season. Brought solidity and leadership when Cullen's Cubs needed it. Without him I don't think we would have finished tops at the end of the regular season. The knock he shipped in the FRA vs IRE match cut short what up till then was an impressive return to form. Bon voyage, Mick Mac, and thanks for everything.

Nice eulogy.
Good luck Mick.
Enjoy the med climate abd the wine of course.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Devin Toner

Postby hugonaut » March 6th, 2017, 7:09 pm

riocard911 wrote:Wish him the best of luck. He channelled the disappointment of not getting the nod for RWC 2015 into being, IMO, our best and most reliable forward in the first half of last season. Brought solidity and leadership when Cullen's Cubs needed it. Without him I don't think we would have finished tops at the end of the regular season. The knock he shipped in the FRA vs IRE match cut short what up till then was an impressive return to form. Bon voyage, Mick Mac, and thanks for everything.

Well said. He was in great form last season and it was really tough luck that he had it cut short. Delighted that he is able to get another two years on the pitch, and Narbonne is a hell of a nice spot and a good old rugby town by all accounts. He gave us really good service and seemed to be a very popular squad member. Best of luck to him and thanks very much.
hugonaut
Rob Kearney

Postby matt » March 7th, 2017, 1:28 am

Its easy to forget now that we have all the young guns firing that Mick played twice in last years Six Nations and was the best player for Leinster last season.

Enjoy your 2 years in Narbonne Mick you can be proud of your service at Leinster.
matt
Knowledgeable

Postby riocard911 » March 7th, 2017, 1:54 am

matt wrote:Its easy to forget now that we have all the young guns firing that Mick played twice in last years Six Nations and was the best player for Leinster last season.

Enjoy your 2 years in Narbonne Mick you can be proud of your service at Leinster.

+1
riocard911
Enlightened

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 7th, 2017, 8:27 am

hugonaut wrote:

Well said. He was in great form last season and it was really tough luck that he had it cut short. Delighted that he is able to get another two years on the pitch, and Narbonne is a hell of a nice spot and a good old rugby town by all accounts. He gave us really good service and seemed to be a very popular squad member. Best of luck to him and thanks very much.

+1
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey

Postby blockhead » March 7th, 2017, 10:55 am

So long Mike. You deserve a indian summer. Thanks for all you did for us.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby jezzer » March 7th, 2017, 11:07 am

Good man Mike Mc.

When Leinster heads were down post-MOC and early Leo, Mike's attitude and workrate must surely have been a serious example to the rest of the squad. He was the ahrdest worker on the pitch for a lot of games last year. Without it, we'd have been in trouble.

Best of luck.
jezzer
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby sunshiner1 » March 7th, 2017, 11:17 am

Best of luck Mike. You were a great servant to Connacht, Leinster and Ireland. Enjoy your time in France!
sunshiner1
Knowledgeable

Postby Cianostays » March 7th, 2017, 1:29 pm

+1 to all of that. Turned out to be a great signing for us and he's earned a couple of years in the South Of France.

Good Luck Mike, and thanks :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Cianostays
Girvan Dempsey

Postby cormac » May 17th, 2017, 8:52 am

Mike's move to Narbonne has been cancelled as his injuries mean he'll have to retire. A real shame for him.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Postby mildlyinterested » May 17th, 2017, 9:00 am

cormac wrote:Mike's move to Narbonne has been cancelled as his injuries mean he'll have to retire. A real shame for him.

Insurance may cover some of his lost income.
mildlyinterested
Bookworm

Postby BlueBlue » May 17th, 2017, 9:40 am

Best of luck big Mike.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Girvan Dempsey

Postby the spoofer » May 17th, 2017, 9:42 am

mildlyinterested wrote:
cormac wrote:Mike's move to Narbonne has been cancelled as his injuries mean he'll have to retire. A real shame for him.

Insurance may cover some of his lost income.

I hope so. Congrats Mike on a great career. You worked your arse off to make the most of your talents and never took a backward step.
the spoofer
Girvan Dempsey

Postby simonokeeffe » May 17th, 2017, 11:23 am

In a way maybe its for the best, he was pretty wrecked and another 2 years may have badly affected his later quality of life. Plus theres the concussion issue

I just hope he adepts to civilian life as its come around now quicker than he wanted/planned
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen

Postby Hippo » May 17th, 2017, 11:30 am

simonokeeffe wrote:In a way maybe its for the best, he was pretty wrecked and another 2 years may have badly affected his later quality of life. Plus theres the concussion issue

I just hope he adepts to civilian life as its come around now quicker than he wanted/planned

I'd echo all of this, I really liked him as a player and hope everything works out well for him.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Hippo
Mullet

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts