Leinster v Wasps Aviva Stadium 1st April KO 3.15 BT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Wasps Aviva Stadium 1st April KO 3.15 BT

Post by curates_egg »

By the way, maybe it's been answered before (sorry if so): when - if ever - did Jamie last not start for us in a knock-out in Europe? He was already back for the Leicester QF after his injury in the 2010-11 season.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'm not at all splitting hairs, I'm replying to your initial point which was that the bench "does not ameliorate the risk being taken by playing Carbery at 15". Leo has actually gone out of his way to do just that by putting in two experienced outside backs and offering two possible options if Carbery or Byrne need to go off.
We seem to be going around in circles but I disagree. Maybe "splitting hairs" was the wrong term but you are definitely missing my point.
The possible defensive problems is the initial problem. If we leak tries as a result of that problem, we will need to score. But, if we bring on two guys who don't score and aren't creative (no matter how solid they are), that is not going to solve the new problem of needing scores. The overall situation remains a "risk". So that bench selection does not - in my opinion - solve the "risk" of selecting Carbery at 15 and Byrne on the wing, but - rather - doubles down on it.
Selecting a solid defender who also scores tries (ROL) would have made more sense to me in terms of risk mitigation... even if I don't fully understand why we need to take the risk in the first place.

Anyway, we are where we are. The management knows best and all that. They certainly have given Carbery a lot of time at 15 (in spite of his public statements that he wants to play at 10). So, this is very much a management driven strategy. Let's hope they're right.
It should be a good game regardless.
Not sure why you are concerned. Kirchner is a no brainer for the bench, covering the options thae he does. Would have liked to see ROL instead of McFadden, because he has been far better this year and offers more impact. Obviously Kearneys weren't available but Cullen could have retreated into his sheel and had a "safe" back 3 of McFadden/Nacewa/Kirchner with Carberry and ROL on the bench, but its good to see he is going for it. While there is huge attacking potential in that Wasps back 3 there is definitely defensive questions there - he has picked a back 3 that are most likely to exploit it - good calls
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Lar wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Enda Kenny wrote: "Kirchner's played 4 of their last 5 games, twice at 13 and twice at 15 so I would have thought he was a good bench option."
Her name is Edna.

Enda is a different person completely.
Gabh mo leithscéal!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:By the way, maybe it's been answered before (sorry if so): when - if ever - did Jamie last not start for us in a knock-out in Europe? He was already back for the Leicester QF after his injury in the 2010-11 season.
He's only ever missed group games
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:
curates_egg wrote:By the way, maybe it's been answered before (sorry if so): when - if ever - did Jamie last not start for us in a knock-out in Europe? He was already back for the Leicester QF after his injury in the 2010-11 season.
He's only ever missed group games
Wow and jaysus at the same time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Wouldve thought an injured ROL would open the door for Reid, Ringrose appears to be our 12 cover with Kirchner covering 15 & 13
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:Wouldve thought an injured ROL would open the door for Reid, Ringrose appears to be our 12 cover with Kirchner covering 15 & 13
Wouldn't have thought so. I'd suspect they would go straight to a 5/8ths format with J10 and Joey and bri.g Zane off the bench. Interestingly, we'ed then have a very similar format to what Wasps have selected. It's a structure that I've been hoping they would play from earlier in the Season with Ringer pushing to a wing position.

I'm not advocating it long-term, but just as a tactical ploy to optimise our play-makers against a very good defensive outfit e.g. Sarries, and where we're wary of the kicking ability of the opposition 10 against our wings.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Double post!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Wouldve thought an injured ROL would open the door for Reid, Ringrose appears to be our 12 cover with Kirchner covering 15 & 13
Wouldn't have thought so. I'd suspect they would go straight to a 5/8ths format with J10 and Joey and bri.g Zane off the bench. Interestingly, we'ed then have a very similar format to what Wasps have selected. It's a structure that I've been hoping they would play from earlier in the Season with Ringer pushing to a wing position.

I'm not advocating it long-term, but just as a tactical ploy to optimise our play-makers against a very good defensive outfit e.g. Sarries, and where we're wary of the kicking ability of the opposition 10 against our wings.
Carberry covering 12?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Very surprised Molony is on the bench after his mistakes last week. He owes the coaches big time.

I'm guessing ROL and Ruddock are injured though so hard to judge their omissions if that's the case.

Noel also unlucky to miss out with the form he's been in.

When El Diablo named the team I actually just assumed SOB would be at 6 and Leavy at 7.I know they won't stick rigidly to their jerseys but it'll be interesting to see how that pans out anyway.

Not that we didn't know about it already but the pace and attacking talent in that Wasps backline is frightening. Hopefully we can deny them ball and put pressure on the halfbacks and Jimmy or else we're in trouble. Marty will be seriously fired up off the bench, hope he doesn't have too much of an impact on us.
I wouldn't be so sore on Molony LRIP. Poor hands last week true, but watching him this season, at the start I thought he was 2 years away from being truly ready for this type of game, then I thought another pre-season would do it, now I think his improvement is such that he is ready to rock and don't think he will be found wanting at all.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Carberry covering 12?
More like J12, but either way that duel playmaker impact a la Farrell and Ford, Carter and Conrad Smith and multiple other NZ partnerships, has real potential when you have players as talented as Henshaw, Ringrose and Isa around you.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Good luck tomorrow.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

kermischocolate wrote:Good luck tomorrow.
The only thing I want to see more this weekend than a Glasgow win is a Leinster win.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
BigL
Learner

Post by BigL »

From a Wasps fans website...

10 of Wasps first 15 have national team caps, with 273 caps between them.
13 of the Leinster first 15 have national team caps, with 282 caps between them.
Wasps backs have 141 caps
Leinster backs have 109 caps
Wasps forwards have 128 caps
Leinster forwards have 173 caps

Interesting similarities and differences. Two very strong teams, with Leinster forwards likely to win their battles. if we can contain the Wasps pace at the back, we should be fine.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BigL wrote:From a Wasps fans website...

10 of Wasps first 15 have national team caps, with 273 caps between them.
13 of the Leinster first 15 have national team caps, with 282 caps between them.
Wasps backs have 141 caps
Leinster backs have 109 caps
Wasps forwards have 128 caps
Leinster forwards have 173 caps

Interesting similarities and differences. Two very strong teams, with Leinster forwards likely to win their battles. if we can contain the Wasps pace at the back, we should be fine.
Nice post. Measures the challenge. This is a lot closer than I think a lot of peeps think.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Given that the bookies have us at +4 (I'm told) in the notoriously home friendly market of the HC quarter finals this is indeed tighter than a gnat's arse.

Unlike the expected defences tomorrow. Got the old crew together for this (okay my da and my niece, the three of us have experienced nearly all of the great and really low days with Leinster together, she's grown up now but it's just such a huge part of her childhood) and I haven't been this excited about a Leinster match in quite a while. We could be destroyed tomorrow. Players could become legends tomorrow.

It's a bit big.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Big Wasps presence in Searsons tonight handing out a few hundred flags. Decent people most expect high scoring game to be in the balance in last 10 mins.

I think this is going to be a game that will ebb and flow where we will hopefully move from despondency to optimism and finally jubilation.

Forget the plastic pitch at Saracens, the all French clash or Thomond Park, The real action is at the Aviva tomorrow & could deliver a big win to either side in a game that potentially could deliver 10 trys & maybe 70+ points. Munster v Wasps in 2004 was a great game which ended 32-37 and where biggest factor was taking out O'Gara. If JS plays 80 mins we will win if he doesn't its in the balance. Not hard to know what Haskell etc want to do.

I remain confident but know there will be a few scares along the way.-
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

fourthirtythree wrote:Given that the bookies have us at +4 (I'm told) in the notoriously home friendly market of the HC quarter finals this is indeed tighter than a gnat's arse.

Unlike the expected defences tomorrow. Got the old crew together for this (okay my da and my niece, the three of us have experienced nearly all of the great and really low days with Leinster together, she's grown up now but it's just such a huge part of her childhood) and I haven't been this excited about a Leinster match in quite a while. We could be destroyed tomorrow. Players could become legends tomorrow.

It's a bit big.
This pretty much sums it up, it's simultaneously the most unpredictable and important match in quite a while
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Nervous headin for the leaba. In a few hours we'll know more.... An Laighean abú!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

kermischocolate wrote:Good luck tomorrow.
Go get them laddie!
Give them an ECCxit .
In Kermi we trust.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.