EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lapandry was very impressive. 9 tries and Strettle eventually got on scoresheet late in the game.

TBH, word is that Grenoble are in meltdown with threee players charged with gang rape, coaches coming and going and ProD2 beckoning. Good win for Clermont but they were unbackable this morning to win away from home with very much a second string of guys returning from injury.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Still an impressive demolition job :shock:

Some really big calls for Leo this week @ 1, 6, 7, 11, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20 and 23. Fantastic to have so many options and players really demanding that they get picked. We seem to be able to play at a high tempo no matter who is on the field, which is a huge plus. My instinct would still be to pack the bench with pace and unleash with 20-25 mins to go. With that in mind:

1. McGrath, 2. Strauss, 3. Furlong, 4. Toner, 5. Triggs, 6. Leavy, 7. SO'B, 8. Conan, 9. McGrath, 10. Sexton, 11. Ferg, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose, 14. Byrne, 15. Isa, 16. Cronin, 17. Healy, 18. Bent, 19. Moloney, 20. A very pissed off VDF, 21. JGP, 22. Carberry, 23. O'Loughlin.

7 more sleeps :green clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by artaneboy »

Cianostays wrote:Still an impressive demolition job :shock:

Some really big calls for Leo this week @ 1, 6, 7, 11, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20 and 23. Fantastic to have so many options and players really demanding that they get picked. We seem to be able to play at a high tempo no matter who is on the field, which is a huge plus. My instinct would still be to pack the bench with pace and unleash with 20-25 mins to go. With that in mind:

1. McGrath, 2. Strauss, 3. Furlong, 4. Toner, 5. Triggs, 6. Leavy, 7. SO'B, 8. Conan, 9. McGrath, 10. Sexton, 11. Ferg, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose, 14. Byrne, 15. Isa, 16. Cronin, 17. Healy, 18. Bent, 19. Moloney, 20. A very pissed off VDF, 21. JGP, 22. Carberry, 23. O'Loughlin.

Not a bad selection but I'm worried on the line out which is the one regularly mis-functioning unit. The throwing of all the hookers has been spotty, but Strauss has been probably the most culpable. On the impact factor, I'd favour Tracey starting with Cornin coming in- but either way both of them in the 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on April 16th, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

So are we marching to the stadium in Lyon? Only 1,500 of us so we'll be outnumbered like in Bordeaux five years ago. But the march from the Irish pub to the stadium and the reception the Clermont fans gave us was fantastic and is genuinely one of my best memories in rugby.

So let's do it again!!!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:So are we marching to the stadium in Lyon? Only 1,500 of us so we'll be outnumbered like in Bordeaux five years ago. But the march from the Irish pub to the stadium and the reception the Clermont fans gave us was fantastic and is genuinely one of my best memories in rugby.

So let's do it again!!!
I'd be amazed if there was no take up for this, especially if the weather is good 8) Unfortunately, I'll have to sit this one out and cheer on from my couch :cry:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Cianostays wrote:Still an impressive demolition job :shock:

VDF is certainly asking big questions. Thought he was great in tandem with Leavy at 6 last week against Osprays & easily man of the match last night. Depending on the type of game they want to play against 6 Chouly 7 Yato 8 Fritz Lee 20 Lapandry
we might yet go 6 Leavy 7 VDF 8 SOB 20 Conan. Will be tough on any of those 4 not to start but all will play big roles.

Interested in how we use Strauss/Cronin. Strauss is probably the stronger scrummager but Cronin has unique skills around the field. Definitely open to debate.

Only other open position is which of Isa/Joey/Ferg/Adam/Rory/Zane loses out in back 3. I expect Joey, Adam & Isa to start with Ferg & either Rory or Zane on bench but could yet be a "horses for courses" selection as all are a good standard.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I would probably got for this team, massive injection of pace and energy off the bench with 25/20 to go.

15. Carbery
14. Byrne
13. Ringrose
12. Henshaw
11. Nacewa
10. Sexton
9. McGrath
8. Conan
7. van der Flier
6. O'Brien
5. Triggs
4. Toner
3. Furlong
2. Tracy
1. McGrath

16. Cronin
17. Healy
18. Bent ( Ross pushing him now for this spot )
19. Ruddock ( Molony just too small atm )
20. Leavy ( better impact off the bench than vdF )
21. Gibson-Park
22. McFadden
23. O'Loughlin
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It won't be Isa missing out, just saying
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Cianostays wrote:
Donny B. wrote:So are we marching to the stadium in Lyon? Only 1,500 of us so we'll be outnumbered like in Bordeaux five years ago. But the march from the Irish pub to the stadium and the reception the Clermont fans gave us was fantastic and is genuinely one of my best memories in rugby.

So let's do it again!!!
I'd be amazed if there was no take up for this, especially if the weather is good 8) Unfortunately, I'll have to sit this one out and cheer on from my couch :cry:
All joking aside but in the current terrorist climate a large group might not be a good idea and the gendarmerie might not approve.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd go for the following:
Carbery, MCF, Ringrose, Henshaw, Isa, Sexton, McGrath, Conan, JVDF, SOB, Triggs, Toner, Furlong, Cronin, McGrath

Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ruddock, Leavy, JGP, Byrne, Kirchner

Personally I don't want to see Carbery/Byrne starting together, and I think Ferg is tailor made for a game like this.
Would start VDF because he's that wee bit more physical and we might need that in first 50.
Leavy, Healy on at 50.

Bench is a bit unbalanced/risky but I think it's our best use of resources. ROL unlucky to miss out but he hasn't been in great form over last few games imo.

I'm unnervingly confident about this game. Am sure that will change as the week goes on.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:I'd go for the following:
Carbery, MCF, Ringrose, Henshaw, Isa, Sexton, McGrath, Conan, JVDF, SOB, Triggs, Toner, Furlong, Cronin, McGrath

Personally I don't want to see Carbery/Byrne starting together, and I think Ferg is tailor made for a game like this.
Would start VDF because he's that wee bit more physical and we might need that in first 50.
Leavy, Healy on at 50.

Bench is a bit unbalanced/risky but I think it's our best use of resources. ROL unlucky to miss out but he hasn't been in great form over last few games imo.

I'm unnervingly confident about this game. Am sure that will change as the week goes on.
I'd go Kirchner and ROL on the bench and leave Byrne out. Looks good otherwise.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:

Leavy, Healy on at 50.

I agreee mate

no need for Byrne if Carberry is at fullback
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although Grenoble haven't been up to much recently they defended their home record hard for first quarter and actually led Clermont. But once Clermont got started they didn't stop to look around and scored 9 tries after the 22nd minute. Lapandry and Chouly had big games in the back-row and Strettle improved as the game went on and looked close to good form by the end.

Much better from Clermont and the Squad will gain confidence from this display.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Leavy, Healy on at 50.

I agreee mate

no need for Byrne if Carberry is at fullback
Sorry that's A Byrne. Reckon we'll go the same as Wasps with two outside backs covering. Don't think ROL has been playing well enough to sneak in.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Now I get you

I have a good feeling about this game, our pomp is well and truly back
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: Sorry that's A Byrne. Reckon we'll go the same as Wasps with two outside backs covering. Don't think ROL has been playing well enough to sneak in.
Wow. I think I agree with you ;)
Apart from the optimism bit.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Sorry that's A Byrne. Reckon we'll go the same as Wasps with two outside backs covering. Don't think ROL has been playing well enough to sneak in.
Wow. I think I agree with you ;)
Apart from the optimism bit.
Get a room lads!

But I have to admit that,injury caveats aside, optimism is fashionable again.

Nervous- but that good type of nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

So let's do it again!!!
Second that !.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ruddock, Leavy, JGP, Byrne, Kirtzner
Couldn't leave Leavy out of team on current form or the impact he has on opponents. Fritz Lee has not shown the same form for them as previously but Chouly and Parra, with Centre Lamaret are their key players. Leavy and O'Brien have the skill-set and physicality to take on that back-row and create the opportunities for Conan and our half-backs to dominate this game.

Clermont score high in quick open games and generally win them. Slow grinding games with strong defences often find them out. We want a really strong defensive display and huge attention to ball retention. We have the ability to go multi-phase high tempo but so do they. We need to target our scores and then reset to 0-0 mindset and start again.

We should do more than survive up front, which is really all with did in Bordeaux previously. Our front and back-rows are better but they dominate at second-row. We are definitely superior at half-back and mid-field but they have the edge in back three.

With these balances, constructing an attacking game where we can take our advantages is difficult but certainly not impossible. Owens as referee will enable our breakdown style if we populate the tackle area well enough but we must not give them loose kicks or a bad chase, otherwise their back three can create opportunities.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Strauss, Healy, Bent, Ruddock, Leavy, JGP, Byrne, Kirtzner
Couldn't leave Leavy out of team on current form or the impact he has on opponents.
You could say the exact same about VDF though!
It's a complete toss up, and I think Leo will go for Leavy to start, but for me VDF is more physically effective and Leavy has been brilliant coming on, takes great lines when the game opens up etc so for the first 50 or so I'd go VDF.

You could just as easily say that if we're looking to play around them rather than take them on you'd start Leavy. Really it's much of a muchness!

What a crazy position to be in though, serious depth in the squad at the minute.