EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

22dropout
Bookworm

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by 22dropout »

Anyone get the sense that Adam Byrne is subject to a bit of racial profiling when it comes to his selection....... Almost a bit like - He's black, He's tall, He's Young = He has to be fast on the wing. Pick him !

Adam is a good player but you can see that he is late to the game. Positionally in defence this shows up on occasions. He skill sets as things currently stand means he's a good flat track bully but I'd be worried with him in a starting line up tomorrow. I suspect there will be requirements for a bit of our own 5m heroics ala Bordeaux 5 years ago.

Ferg is playing like a man with a vendetta. Someone in an earlier post was talking about the Bath 1/4 final a few years ago. Everyone was so flat that day including the crowd but one of the very few highlights I can remember was just before half time McFadden went full clobberhouse into a tackle. He's passionate and he's reliable. I think those are two traits that will stand us in good stead tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YV0AZCEs around 53:40 into the video.
Last edited by 22dropout on April 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

22dropout wrote:Anyone get the sense that Adam Byrne is subject to a bit of racial profiling when it comes to his selection....... Almost a bit like - He's black, He's tall, He's Young = He has to be fast on the wing. Pick him !

Adam is a good player but you can see that he is late to the game. Positionally in defence this shows up on occasions. He skill sets as things currently stand means he's a good flat track bully but I'd be worried with him in a starting line up tomorrow. I suspect there will be requirements for a bit of our own 5m heroics ala Bordeaux 5 years ago.

Ferg is playing like a man with a vendetta. Some in an earlier post was talking about the Bath 1/4 final a few years ago. Everyone was so flat that day including the crowd but one of the very few highlights I can remember was just before half time McFadden went full clobberhouse into a tackle. He's passionate and he's reliable. I think those are two traits that will stand us in good stead tomorrow.

Not entirely sure but your link just wouldn't work for me - here a direct link to the time of the tackle: https://youtu.be/i0GYV0AZCEs?t=53m28s
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

22dropout wrote:Anyone get the sense that Adam Byrne is subject to a bit of racial profiling when it comes to his selection....... Almost a bit like - He's black, He's tall, He's Young = He has to be fast on the wing. Pick him !

Ferg is playing like a man with a vendetta. Some in an earlier post was talking about the Bath 1/4 final a few years ago. Everyone was so flat that day including the crowd but one of the very few highlights I can remember was just before half time McFadden went full clobberhouse into a tackle. He's passionate and he's reliable. I think those are two traits that will stand us in good stead tomorrow.

Didnt AB get his debut under Schmidt as an 18 or 19 year old? Dont think he counts as late to the game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He was late enough IIRC, he's been picked because his performances backed it up. Had a great season for us.

But there's a reason away sides don't win knockout rugby often, and that's why he he experienc of Ferg who has seen it all is preferred. Makes sense to me.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

What's in the air this morning. Woke up to hear David Kelly of the Independent on Sunshine FM (wife had preset it!) with Reggie Corrigan complaining about Jamie Roberts being selected by the Lions (he wasn't) and that typifying Gatland approach. Then he spoke garbage about Duncan Williams & Munster & made a personal comment about Leo that he should know better.

This thread is no better with some who normally deliver insightful views not at their best. The lead up to tomorrows game is tense but even if you disagree with any selection I think the management see a lot more than we do and they have earned our trust.

Some fascinating duels tomorrow. J.Mc Grath v Zirakisvili could be worth the entrance money alone & Lamerat has been Clermont's best back recently so his clash with Henshaw will tell a lot as will Sexton v Lopez & many others.

Two positions we would hope to have a clear advantage would be Furlong v Chaume and Ringrose v Rougerie although having watched the whole Clermont v Toulon game again Rougerie looked good against Nonu & Bastereaud & Chaume was part of a front row that destroyed Toulon especially early on.

Roll on 3pm tomorrow.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ferg is playing like a man with a vendetta. Someone in an earlier post was talking about the Bath 1/4 final a few years ago. Everyone was so flat that day including the crowd but one of the very few highlights I can remember was just before half time McFadden went full clobberhouse into a tackle. He's passionate and he's reliable. I think those are two traits that will stand us in good stead tomorrow.

Gawd- race, gender, we're hitting all the big themes on the forum this week!

No- I see no racial profiling. Just the usual selection saga with a very talented young player with some remaining "issues" that require work.

Adam has been great for us, came back well from a really serious injury, but has defensive flaws that make selecting him as a starter not worth the risk-reward equation, when you have an in- form Fergus chomping on the bit.

Adam will get his chance- probably before the season is out. He's a great prospect; but that doesn't mean he's perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't have an issue with Adam not starting but think the defensive stuff is overblown. I've always had doubts about that side of hs game but think he's improved hugely as the season has gone on and apart from the cross field kick last week (which was very poor) I didn't think he made any glaring errors last week. He's not perfect and I think I'd have plumped for Ferg too in the circumstances but I don't think it's quite the weakness it's being made out to be.

Soemtimes he reads things really well, like for the intercept last week. At the start of the season I'd have said his defence needed major work, now I think he just needs to iron out a few things. Really excited about his progress and it's a pity he's not in the 23.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Ferg 'double chip' McFadden is a Leinster legend, he will not fail us.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Ferg has that Leinster pashun which, as today showed, is much more potent than the Munster pashun.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

BelieveImage
I have Bumbleflex
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

^^^^^ Thanks Dave, needed that!

I was much more confident last week but now that we're here....Euro semi, against a very experienced team, on what is more or less their home turf seems like a huge ask, and JH and SOB are huge absences. Maybe if the team can play at that fantastic pace they've been able to generate recently - and maybe their arguably superior stamina will tell in the end. Feel almost physically sick now!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Andrew097
Bookworm

Post by Andrew097 »

Sick with nerves today good luck Leinster win or lose you have done so much this season that is great.
Really do think this crop of players could give the old lads a great swansong couple of seasons. I do think with a little luck they could go all the way. But but but losing such experience in the pack might be fatal in the closing quarter as that old know how of slowing the game or steadying words at the right time in a close game can be the difference. Toner will have to be his thinking best today
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Think we could see something very special from us today :)

Everyone in the stadium is to roar until you're hoarse.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Dave Cahill wrote:BelieveImage

Love it DC!
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Good luck today! The fear I'd have for Leinster is they performed badly in their last 2 visits to France. If they perform well I think they'll be too good for Clermont. It all depends on the players' mentality.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

dropkick wrote:Good luck today! The fear I'd have for Leinster is they performed badly in their last 2 visits to France. If they perform well I think they'll be too good for Clermont. It all depends on the players' mentality.
The first of our visits to France this season we lost - albeit with a try at the end to give us a LBP. The second won we drew. Third time lucky?.... I sincerely hope so! Na Laighiní abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cannot wait for this to start
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Atmosphere looks amazing, gutted not to have been able to make it this time round.

The team are up against it as are the travelling support. Best of luck to both.

Nervous, but have a good feeling about this game!

C'Mon LEINSTER

:green clap: :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Merde
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

7-0