EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Prior to watching for who we will face on this day three weeks, it should be recognised that, although both are huge names in French and European rugby, neither is firing on all cylinders at present:

* Clermont have lost three of their last five Top14 games against Castres, Montpellier and Racing;
* Toulon have lost two and drawn one of their last five Top14 games with defeats by Stade and Brive and a draw with Grenoble;
* Both Clubs have announced the departure of 'Head' coaches at the end of Season, Jono Gibbes to Ulster and Mike Ford to who knows where;
* Matt Giteau is out for a few weeks at least for Toulon, whilst Clermont are missing several players as Azema makes five changes from last week against Racing, including three in the front five.

Expect a slug fest as two ageing teams battle from memory...and for pride.
alanair
Mullet

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT OR TOULON

Post by alanair »

Slug fest is right... Bore of a Game... anyway Clermont it is... bring 'em on , I say !!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Love playing Clermont. Hopefully we can organise another march to the stadium in Lyon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Don't suppose the first round of the French Presidential Election being Sunday 23rd April will have any bearing on when our semi-final is staged?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

For what it's worth, bookies offering +4 spread for Leinster, -4 for Clermont. Other semi too close for Paddy Power to call, Muster on +1 spread, Orcs on -1
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

L'Equipe reporting that it's a 16:15 kickoff on Sunday 23rd for Clermont - Leinster.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/ ... yon/790153
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

same time suggested by Midi
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

brenno wrote:For what it's worth, bookies offering +4 spread for Leinster, -4 for Clermont. Other semi too close for Paddy Power to call, Muster on +1 spread, Orcs on -1
What does that mean? Sorry to come off as hopelessly ignorant but I don't bet so spreads etc are a complete mystery.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

That would be a real pain for people wanting to travel back on Sunday - I hope some negotiation takes place.
Selfishly, anything up to a 3.30 kick-off would be fine for me to get back to Brussels - 16.15 means the last train is not make-able.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

domhnallj wrote:
brenno wrote:For what it's worth, bookies offering +4 spread for Leinster, -4 for Clermont. Other semi too close for Paddy Power to call, Muster on +1 spread, Orcs on -1
What does that mean? Sorry to come off as hopelessly ignorant but I don't bet so spreads etc are a complete mystery.
It means that Clermont are favourites. Bookies will offer straight match odds (for this match they're currently Clermont 8/15, Leinster 13/8 and the draw at 22/1) and then usually have a points spread odds. In the points spread odds scenario, both teams are 10/11 to win. In this case the "handicap" for Clermont to overcome is 4 points,

e.g. the final score is Clermont 23 Leinster 20. If you backed Leinster +4 at 10/11 you'd win your bet.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

cormac wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
It means that Clermont are favourites. Bookies will offer straight match odds (for this match they're currently Clermont 8/15, Leinster 13/8 and the draw at 22/1) and then usually have a points spread odds. In the points spread odds scenario, both teams are 10/11 to win. In this case the "handicap" for Clermont to overcome is 4 points,

e.g. the final score is Clermont 23 Leinster 20. If you backed Leinster +4 at 10/11 you'd win your bet.
Think of it as the "headstart" the bookies think Leinster need (i.e. +4 in this case) for it to be an even game.

I wonder if the odds tighten - I think this is a tighter game than the Munster Sarries one. Not that Munster can't win but Sarries look more of a problem than Clermont do (based on this weekend)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

cormac wrote:
domhnallj wrote:

Thanks.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So, a late kick-off is a problem: one box ticked by Clermont;
The Lions Squad gets announced on April 19th: another non-worry for Clermont;
Leo has to decide does he find room for Rob K in Squad: not a problem for Clermont;
Leinster have Ospreys & Connacht next: Clermont have Brive & Grenoble -dogfights;
No French referee: Barnes, Nigel or ?????: Barnes definitely a problem for Clermont;
French Election Day; A problem for approx 18,000 Clermont supporters;
How will this pitch hold up to Scrums?: A big problem for both teams.

Lots to plan for there. But, who would you prefer to be this morning? Leo / Burt or Dai Young, Isa or Willie Le Roux?

Scores change matches, howlers change careers.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ASM clear favourites and think it'll be a huge ask for this relatively inexperienced Leinster team. Given the player experience this year, a European Semi final and top of the Pro 12 is way ahead of expectations though so anything more is a bonus - though I'm sure the team will be thinking that 2 more games means a 4th star.

We'll have to be way more clinical with possession in this , we're not going to be playing game than we were against Wasps, we're not going to be play ASM in France with 60%+ possession.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ruckedtobits wrote:So, a late kick-off is a problem: one box ticked by Clermont;
The Lions Squad gets announced on April 19th: another non-worry for Clermont;
Leo has to decide does he find room for Rob K in Squad: not a problem for Clermont;
Leinster have Ospreys & Connacht next: Clermont have Brive & Grenoble -dogfights;
No French referee: Barnes, Nigel or ?????: Barnes definitely a problem for Clermont;
French Election Day; A problem for approx 18,000 Clermont supporters;
How will this pitch hold up to Scrums?: A big problem for both teams.

Lots to plan for there. But, who would you prefer to be this morning? Leo / Burt or Dai Young, Isa or Willie Le Roux?

Scores change matches, howlers change careers.
Rob Kearney won't be back for the Clermont game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Nakaitaci ruled out for the season with an ACL:
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/nakaita ... he-season/

Just Strettle or Toeava to come in then!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:Nakaitaci ruled out for the season with an ACL:
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/nakaita ... he-season/

Just Strettle or Toeava to come in then!
That's good news for us. He was Clermont's most potent threat yesterday vs Toulon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He can also be exposed in defence though. Great player to watch, pity we won't get to see him.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

Bit disappointed in the lack of size of the stadium selected to host the Semi Final. Last time we played Clermont it was in Bordeaux with a 35,000 capacity and the place was rammed. Despite it being a 2-3 hour drive from Clermont. Lyon is half that distance and the stadium only takes 25,000. Going to be very hard to get tickets for this one.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

22dropout wrote:Bit disappointed in the lack of size of the stadium selected to host the Semi Final. Last time we played Clermont it was in Bordeaux with a 35,000 capacity and the place was rammed. Despite it being a 2-3 hour drive from Clermont. Lyon is half that distance and the stadium only takes 25,000. Going to be very hard to get tickets for this one.
Hard if you are living in Clermont - presume Leinster will be entitled to an equal share with Clermont (say at least 7.5k after general corporate). There is no way we will take our full allocation. But Clermont fans might have issues
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you