EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by carlow man »

ronk wrote:Te'o is there ahead of Jamie Roberts, not Ringrose.
I know te'o is now being used at 12 but for leinster he was played at 13. No comparison if it's a choice between him and Ringrose at 13. I do agree he's being brought as a bosh merchant aka Roberts. Shame that Ringrose won't go but he would probably end up getting hit with cheap shots in the midweek games so rather he toured with Ireland this summer.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Carberry was a bit of a curate's egg, some very good and some poor moments.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Depends if carbery is going to stay at 15 or go back to 10. If he stays at 15 he is going to need to brush up on his defence as a few times this year he's missed his tackle as the last man. He is class in attack thou. Seems to beat the first man nearly every time. But his own sake and future development a decision about his best position needs to be made.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nothing that isn't fixable for an intelligent player with a good work ethic - which Carbury is reportedly.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

carlow man wrote:
ronk wrote:Te'o is there ahead of Jamie Roberts, not Ringrose.
I know te'o is now being used at 12 but for leinster he was played at 13. No comparison if it's a choice between him and Ringrose at 13. I do agree he's being brought as a bosh merchant aka Roberts. Shame that Ringrose won't go but he would probably end up getting hit with cheap shots in the midweek games so rather he toured with Ireland this summer.
This.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ckr4LE ... .be&t=5301 42.27

I think this was the most frustrating moment of the match for me. With Carbery to pass to and acres of space out left Ferg kicks out on the full. Given the talk of unstructured play etc this was surely one of the best opportunities to attack.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

A real missed opportunity yesterday.
our first lineout was so overthrown it was comical and we then lose the next two.
We seemed to react badly to going down by 15 so early and tried to force the game.
A couple of bad knock on when on counter attack cos us dearly.

From where I was Clermont were a busted flush in the second half and the reactions on there faces on Leavys try was that of a beaten team.
When you consider we still scored 10 points after that I am convinced we would have won.

Congrats to Clermont and their Yellow Army. They truly are our brothers in arms. They were such great craic before and after match.

Wishing them well in the final but I fear for them.
Dont think they have the stamina or mental strength to beat Saracens.

PS Anyone want to buy some unused beer tokens!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Keith wrote:
BlueWheels wrote:Great effort to attempt to turn the game around but as many have said, the head start just gave us to much to do.

Atmosphere there was awesome but as I said at the time, I think that the decision to settle for the draw away to Castres, which meant we lost out on the home semi, has to questioned.
We were lucky to get a draw in that game, cant really look back to that. We could have easily won that game, if you can take the sting out of the game in the first 20 minutes when playing in France you always have a good chance but those over throws in the lineout really put us under huge pressure.
Which really begs the question-
Why throw long on the furst line out when your goal is surely to not give a sucker an even break.
Even worse is to throw long on your own 2..
The coaches are as guilty for this as the players.
This issue would be my first order of business in tomorrow morning's post match.
Hands up please!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Clermont looked out on their feet towards the end of the first half. It was particularly noticeable when Spedding broke free. When Carbery brought him down Spedding was surrounded by Leinster players and not a Clermont player within 10 metres.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Given how wrong things went at the start, we did well to only be down 15 especially losing our captain for 10 after 8 minutes
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The killer penalty was the one against Josh / Cronin on 69 mins, when neither infringed but Lee failed to release Ringrose at tackle. Huge shout by Clermont fans but never a penalty against us with 5 to 2 in the breakdown. Really gutted by that one as most of the others were debatable.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:Clermont looked out on their feet towards the end of the first half. It was particularly noticeable when Spedding broke free. When Carbery brought him down Spedding was surrounded by Leinster players and not a Clermont player within 10 metres.
Forgot about that, that was a brilliant tackle.

Also hasn't been mentioned much but Sexton was excellent. It might have been because the younger lads/not first choice players were so impressive but he played really well. The last penalty was world class, to kick it under such pressure and with a shortened routine was really impressive. Thought he spoke very well afterwards too, managed to stop himself complaining about Owens (unlike me :lol: ) and was very complimentary towards Clermont.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
cormac wrote:Clermont looked out on their feet towards the end of the first half. It was particularly noticeable when Spedding broke free. When Carbery brought him down Spedding was surrounded by Leinster players and not a Clermont player within 10 metres.

Also hasn't been mentioned much but Sexton was excellent. It might have been because the younger lads/not first choice players were so impressive but he played really well. The last penalty was world class, to kick it under such pressure and with a shortened routine was really impressive. Thought he spoke very well afterwards too, managed to stop himself complaining about Owens (unlike me :lol: ) and was very complimentary towards Clermont.
Hadn't heard him post match meself, so I went searching and found that interview: http://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98FM_Sport ... ort/58834/. Worth listening to, IMO.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Blue not red blood wrote:A real missed opportunity yesterday.
our first lineout was so overthrown it was comical and we then lose the next two.
We actually won our second line out. We went to 3 on the first and overthrew, went to 1 on the second and won it, went to 2 on the third and had it stolen before going to 3 on the fourth and overthrowing again. The first was a bad throw, the third a good defensive read and the fourth a really terrible call. Those are the 3 you are thinking about.
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

Returning from Lyon, putting aside obvious failings esp. in first 30 mins, my main take-out is that 'we're back' . After several fallow years, we now have a team, a coaching ticket and an attitude that will give us good chances to be at the sharp end in all competitions. Plenty to be positive about including new signings and excellent academy system. The next few years are going to be great... tougher Euro competition but we have what it takes. We just need a better pint at the RDS to make things perfect!

On another note, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can offer my booked Edinburgh hotel room (yeh, I know...) to any Clermont fans. I do hope they do the business v Sarries as they are fantastic people.
Thanks
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Le Duvet wrote:Returning from Lyon, putting aside obvious failings esp. in first 30 mins, my main take-out is that 'we're back' . After several fallow years, we now have a team, a coaching ticket and an attitude that will give us good chances to be at the sharp end in all competitions. Plenty to be positive about including new signings and excellent academy system. The next few years are going to be great... tougher Euro competition but we have what it takes. We just need a better pint at the RDS to make things perfect!

On another note, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can offer my booked Edinburgh hotel room (yeh, I know...) to any Clermont fans. I do hope they do the business v Sarries as they are fantastic people.
Thanks
I guess time is relative but by "several" do you mean "1" ? In my universe we were in the the QF in 2014 and unlucky to loose the SF in 2015
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Noticed that, the Leinster Media Training Override kicked in just in time. I now hate seeing Nige reffing any games involving Leinster or Ireland, not because his officiating is an issue, but there always seems to be at least one contentious game-changing moment which goes against us for some reason.
Dont Panic!
Le Duvet
Bookworm

Post by Le Duvet »

I guess time is relative but by "several" do you mean "1" ? In my universe we were in the the QF in 2014 and unlucky to loose the SF in 2015[/quote]

Yes but my point is about being capable of winning competitions, not just getting to knockouts. E.g. we were well beaten by Connacht in last year's Pro 12 final...
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by artaneboy »

Dexter wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Noticed that, the Leinster Media Training Override kicked in just in time. I now hate seeing Nige reffing any games involving Leinster or Ireland, not because his officiating is an issue, but there always seems to be at least one contentious game-changing moment which goes against us for some reason.
You couldn't really argue with any of Nigel's big decisions, but we didn't get the 'rub of the green' from him on Sunday. I expect that Sexton will have been particularly irked by the demand that he complete his last penalty kick within a timed minute! This at a time when the Clermont players were blowing through their holes and were seeking to slow the game down blatantly for most of the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

lads, lads....we were lucky in the quarters when lerouix (Spelling?) dropped the ball for a certain 7 pointer. that could have been a turnaround in that game.