EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:Sickener to lose that. Too many errors and fine margins. As Sexton said we gave them a head start and couldn't reel them back.

It's a real cliche, but this side will learn from this and come back. We have superstars in waiting at 13 and 15 certainly.

By the way, Ruddock was absolutely immense. Some warrior.
Indeed. Ruddock and Conan were great in the back row. Ringrose has scored his "BOD signature" try.

We did leave it behind, we didn't get the rub of the green/ Nigel, but I couldn't grudge Clermont and we will come again. I'll cheer for them in Edinburgh- but I fear the Orcs will win.

Time to get drunk now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Sickener to lose that. Too many errors and fine margins. As Sexton said we gave them a head start and couldn't reel them back.

It's a real cliche, but this side will learn from this and come back. We have superstars in waiting at 13 and 15 certainly.

By the way, Ruddock was absolutely immense. Some warrior.
Hopefully Ruddocks performance isn't lost in the aftermath of this. He was epic... Our squad looks great and is only getting better next year
Ruddock was world class.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

Really frustrated by the staccato nature of that game. It looked to me near the end that Clemont where making a double substitution and each player walked on individually in separate transactions. On at least 3 occasions there was no ball to be found. I haven't seen as much water taken on board since Steve Staunton back in Orlando during USA '94.

We lost the game in one clear area throughout. Our forwards aerial game. From lineout's to restarts we were very poor. Sexton put that last 22 on a penny and I think Ross Moloney lost a straight up exchange with his Clermont opposite. I've said it here before it's hard to be a top class lock at 6ft4 & pennys.

Ringrose while brilliant for the try was at fault with a loose kick early on that led to a turnover try. He seems to need to grow into games rather than coming straight out of the blocks. Our back row around the pitch was sensational. Ruddock MOTM with leavy not too far behind him. Even though he got pinged for the try I liked the dark arts appetite Leavy is showing. A few years ago that sort of play doesn't get picked up and a guy like McCaw is labelled a god.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

It's actually a pity that Leavy managed to get up the field to touch down for the try. If we had gone through another few phases and then scored then the TMO probably wouldn't have called it back for the original 'infringement'.

A clear example of the need to reform the TMO system. Why aren't they getting involved for every infringement? Their main impact on the game seems to be to ruin great tries
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:I wouldn't write off Clermont against Saracens, that was a very mature display of a team with winning instinct.
You think? I wouldn't agree. We gave them a 15 point head start and but for the Leavy try being chalked off would've won. Actually, I think if the Leavy incident hadn't happened at all we would've won, it completely shifted momentum. They were rattled, Strettle admitted as much afterwards.

I think Sarries will be able to open them up like we did, but will also be able to go toe to toe up front. Plus Clermont won't have the home comforts (although they'll outnumber Sarries 20 to 1 I'd say!)
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'm not even nearly convinced that Rougerie would've made the tackle had he not been held

I'm even less convinced Nigel would've gone back that far to check an ASM score

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:I wouldn't write off Clermont against Saracens, that was a very mature display of a team with winning instinct.
So who are you putting your money on in the final?
Saracens by 15 points would be my own call.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

22dropout wrote:Really frustrated by the staccato nature of that game. It looked to me near the end that Clemont where making a double substitution and each player walked on individually in separate transactions. On at least 3 occasions there was no ball to be found. I haven't seen as much water taken on board since Steve Staunton back in Orlando during USA '94.

We lost the game in one clear area throughout. Our forwards aerial game. From lineout's to restarts we were very poor. Sexton put that last 22 on a penny and I think Ross Moloney lost a straight up exchange with his Clermont opposite. I've said it here before it's hard to be a top class lock at 6ft4 & pennys.
I agree our restarts were poor, but I actually though Molony was very good when he came on. Loose game suits him.

What an experience for guys like him and Dooley. We've a core group of young guys who will definitely benefit from that experience.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
Well a clear score anyway; 7 to 10 points.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Oldschool wrote:
Saracens, but Clermont showed today that they've better stamina than most French sides provided their mindset is right

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Those first half lineout f%~k-ups effectively cost us the game. Doesn't matter whether it was system or individual errors, I've no idea why the calls weren't changed until the second half. Ridiculous and amateurish.

Ruddock our MOTM by a street, incredible performance. I thought Conan also showed really well. So disappointing, that game was there to be won. Saracens will strangle them.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ulster are in good hands with Gibbes. They were smart, organised and strong over the ball
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Saracens sd win it fairly comfortably I reckon. Can't see them giving themselves a 12 point lead to pull back. They will grind clermont down. Here's hoping they get stuffed but not going to happen. Saracens are fitter and manage the game very well at key moments. Love to see clermont win it thou!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hippo wrote:Those first half lineout f%~k-ups effectively cost us the game. Doesn't matter whether it was system or individual errors, I've no idea why the calls weren't changed until the second half. Ridiculous and amateurish.
It really was. Toner had an absolute mare calling. Why we kept going to the back is beyond me.
It did change up quite nicely in the 2nd half though.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Twist wrote:I'm not even nearly convinced that Rougerie would've made the tackle had he not been held

I'm even less convinced Nigel would've gone back that far to check an ASM score

Like Isa tackled off the ball before the dg?
Very frustrating but great to see a young team play with that confidence and belief in a Euro SF
Dont Panic!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Brave from Leinster, but in truth our set piece was pretty bad especially in the first half. Definitely think the game plan was a good one and our backs cant be blamed. Our forwards were not nearly as aggressive at the breakdown as I've seen them, and gave some very soft turnovers. Would love to see Clermont win the final, but i feel Edinburgh will be like a home game for Sarries, finding it really hard to see how Clermont can beat them there on that performance. I hope im wrong, but I think that may have been Clermonts final.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We lost a game we should have won despite not playing well. Clermont were just too smart. Lovely to see two simple drop goals. This skill needs to be reinvented by Irish teams as it's the handiest points one can get.'
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Hard luck lads, the slow start killed you.

Came back well and as expected you had them creaking in the last 20. Clermont have developed a bit of steel though so hard to argue they didn't deserve to come away with the win.

Hope they go on to beat Sarries but can't really see it.
We're all red on the inside.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Munsterboy wrote:Hard luck lads, the slow start killed you.

Came back well and as expected you had them creaking in the last 20. Clermont have developed a bit of steel though so hard to argue they didn't deserve to come away with the win.

Hope they go on to beat Sarries but can't really see it.
Good man. See yiz in the Pro 12 final. Expect no mercy!!!
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Given our history with Clermont and some of the games we have shaded against them it is hard to begrudge them the win
Having said that what were we at with the line out in the first half ? - hard to watch especially as it was addressed second half - Cronin has to take some credit there
Superb individual try from Ringrose he has been threatening to do that a long time and what a day to deliver - try of the season for me
The officials were incredibly over zealous on the disallowed try - similar incidents happened at other times in the game and were simply ignored ( galling ) although hard to contest the actual offence I'm not convinced Rougerie would have stopped the play ......... He looked well slower than his heyday
Gutted but more so because it felt like we could have won .Gibson park speeded things up when he came on right when we needed it Clermont have addressed some of their flaky tendencies and would like to see them go on to win the cup
but by rights we should have been dead and buried after the first half