EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Post by cormac »

Tiny206 wrote:Grosso can't play in Ccup with Clemont, he played for Castres early in the season.
Indeed. He played on the wing for Castres at the RDS back in October.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote:
Tiny206 wrote:Grosso can't play in Ccup with Clemont, he played for Castres early in the season.
Indeed. He played on the wing for Castres at the RDS back in October.
Is there a rule about being "cup-tied" in the EPCR?

EDIT: Yes
3.5 Each club may register up to three additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers three additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament. Additional player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Tuesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant additional players) during the pool stage.
Anyone But New Zealand
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:Eh that doesn't really support your thinking that this Clermont backline is similar to the 2012 version! It's objectively worse.
You love taking what I write and literally changing the meaning for some reason. It is becoming a bit of theme.
What I wrote is that "it isn't that much worse" - which means that it is worse...objectively.
With no injuries, you could argue that it is stronger. With the injuries, it is clearly worse.

My point is that we shouldn't underestimate it, even with the injuries.
The key positive difference between the 2012 and 2017 iterations is Lopez. He and Parra are a very good combo.
I would say their 2017 halfbacks are definitely better than their 2012 halfbacks...but without the firepower because of the injuries.

On Grosso, I hadn't thought about him being cup-tied, so it is irrelevant for our game.
But I definitely stand by the comparison with Malzieu: he is a very similar type of winger (a strong, fast Frenchman).
Malzieu spent all his career with an attacking Clermont side that was winning games in Europe and at the top of the Top14, so there is no doubt he has better stats than Grosso. Let's see how Grosso goes with Clermont. He is currently a joker but will join them as a full squad member over the summer. When he joined Castres, he looked like the real deal but Castres have blown hot and cold over the past few years.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Eh that doesn't really support your thinking that this Clermont backline is similar to the 2012 version! It's objectively worse.

With no injuries, you could argue that it is stronger. With the injuries, it is clearly worse.
Good stuff, so we're in agreement!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Any word on who the referee will be. Hopefully it is not Barnes.

Their backs look more ordinary without Fofana, Nakaitaci & Toeava. Rougerie is 37 in September, Strettle if he plays is nearly 34, Spedding is average & Lopez although talented can be weak defensively.

Their forwards are a different matter they destroyed Toulon from the first scrum & they have a better second row now in Iturria & Vahaamahina.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Good stuff, so we're in agreement!
*Insert yawning gif here*
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

I find it interesting how much focus is on how much THEIR backline is worse than 2012.

Kearney - Replaced by Joey Carbery. Hard to call as JCs body of work at FB is far too limited but 2012 RK was great.
Nacewa - 2012 Isa > 2017 Isa
O'Driscoll - I love Ringrose but this is obvious.
D'Arcy - Henshaw, call it even for arguments sake.
Fitzgerald - Byrne - Give me Luke any day.
Sexton - 2012 Sexton vs 2017 Sexton ..... Not as big of a gap IMO, in fact I think he is a more reliable kicker now.
Boss - McGrath still has a way to go, but we will say even.

So whilst Clermont is not what it was in 2012, neither are we. Worth remembering. Gonna be a great game and I can't wait! Allez les Blues
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

EarthGorilla wrote:I find it interesting how much focus is on how much THEIR backline is worse than 2012.

Kearney - Replaced by Joey Carbery. Hard to call as JCs body of work at FB is far too limited but 2012 RK was great.
Sexton - 2012 Sexton vs 2017 Sexton ..... Not as big of a gap IMO, in fact I think he is a more reliable kicker now.

So whilst Clermont is not what it was in 2012, neither are we. Worth remembering. Gonna be a great game and I can't wait! Allez les Blues
It's more that there are now players in Clermont backline that can be exploited such as Rougerie, Strettle & even aspects of Lopez (defensive) & Spedding's game. Nobody thinks it will be easy especially the way their forwards are playing and they are favourites and on this forum it is nice to express some grounds for optimism when we are outsiders to win & sometimes temper overconfidence when we are favourites.

Have no interest in comparing our former greats with current backline at this juncture especially as current backs are still a work in progress and have not reached their potential yet (apart from JS & Isa). It's Clermont 2017 v Leinster 2017 and memories of 2006 v Toulouse & 2012 v Clermont while great to break new ground in France will not get us that win on Sunday week we all crave so badly.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Given that we have the best team and squad around, I 'd be surprised if we malfunction and don't win. Playing in France is a bonus for Clermont but not as much as home advantage nor enough for us not to overcome.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Raydollard wrote:Given that we have the best team and squad around, I 'd be surprised if we malfunction and don't win. Playing in France is a bonus for Clermont but not as much as home advantage nor enough for us not to overcome.
You weren't hunting pints at the Wasps match in the vicinity of Cummiski and Dai Young by any chance?
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Any Word on a ref for the Semi's yet?

1/4 Finals were Ownes, Doyle, Garcies, Barnes with Poite at TJ

We cant get the French and Munster cant get the English, Ownes can do either but might be held back for a final....Please not Barnes
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Barnes reffed the semi-final against Clermont in 2012
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

desperado wrote:
Raydollard wrote:Given that we have the best team and squad around, I 'd be surprised if we malfunction and don't win. Playing in France is a bonus for Clermont but not as much as home advantage nor enough for us not to overcome.
You weren't hunting pints at the Wasps match in the vicinity of Cummiski and Dai Young by any chance?
Ba-boom!!!! LMFAO!!!
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Thanks for reaffirming a well-worn stereotype.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:They also had the likes of King, Malzieu, Buttin, to come on. This time around it'll be guys like Rado, Benson Stanley and Plante.
They also have Grosso, who is a Malzieu clone. We've played him a few times when he was with Castres. Big and powerful on his day but not much else. He will probably bench for them and could even start ahead of Strettle.

There is no doubt we have some fortune that they are missing 3 key players but I wouldn't be complacent about their backline.
Lopez has had them clicking more often than not over the past two seasons. I'm not buying into the James revisionism. I know they loved him in Clermont but I thought he held them back.

Grosso can't play the European Cup with Clermont, because he did with Castres this year.

Edit: I will read the whole topic before posting next time.

Au revoir.
Last edited by VGE on April 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Cor. Ind. wrote:
Thanks for reaffirming a well-worn stereotype.
Ah now; it's not exactly well-worn. i.e ''showing extensive use or wear" etc 1 clown in 50k. But why am I not surprised your sole contribution to this thread is so vacuous.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

EarthGorilla wrote:I find it interesting how much focus is on how much THEIR backline is worse than 2012.

Certainly a discussion on some of those points. Kearney was superb under the high ball but that aspect of the game has probably changed a bit, I'd definitely give Carbery the edge as a strike runner. Think that though Isa may have lost a yard of pace, he is a very intelligent footballer and he has brought a different level of leadership to the backline. I think Henshaw is better than 2012 Darce, he's more of an attacking force. As for Ringrose, clearly Ringrose is not at the levels of the great man at his peak just yet but in 2012 Drico had, by his own admission, lost his pace. McGrath is a better player than Boss was in my opinion. The Byrne vs Luke call is fair defensively for sure, not 100% sure there's clear daylight going forward. As a unit both defensively and in attack, I'm not sure there's much between them.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think the reason we don't focus on whether our backline is as good as the 2012 vintage rather than Clermont's might be that Clermont's backline is showing signs of age whereas in general ours suffers from youth. The exceptions being Johnny who is as good as he was but more experienced and Isa who is in my opinion showing his age. Particularly in the second half of this season.

That said I think our pack is probably better than then...
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Slightly changing the topic but saw an interesting email today.

Public sale of final tickets close on Fridat 21st with the remainder being kept for finalists.

Not being arrogant or overconfident but was very worried that if our cousins won on the Saturday then they would hoover up all the tickets.

At least now we would be allocated our fair share if we beat Clermont
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I think we'll win this. Oh yes.

(and I'm not the only one)
The odds are good but the goods are odd.