EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 27th, 2017, 2:32 pm

El Diablo wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
jezzer wrote:Cronin was in the side.


Either way I do think the scoreline reflected the teams on the day so I don't think it had a huge bearing on the result, it was just frustrating to watch some of it. Maybe it helped Clermont gain some momentum at times, but we should have been able to cope with that anyway.

I disagree. Other than the the 1st 15 and the last 10, we were by far the more dangerous looking side. We had the better of the chances from 15 minutes on. If we had gained territory after Ringers try we would have scored again. That is why that ruck on 70 mins was so crucial. Fritz Lee was their best forward on the day but he was lucky to get that penalty...especially when you see it from the ground level camera; he holds on long after he is off his feet causing the Leinster players to panic and pile in......frustrating but that's rugby. I'm not blaming Nigel; we gave ourselves too much to do with the bad start.


We lost because we didn't execute the chances we created e.g. Triggs twice while Nigel was playing advantage; Ringrose / Carbery mistiming their pass / catch in first half. On the other hand they executed their chances superbly, Parra triple-skip pass to Strettle; Lopez, both drop goals; Strettle, beating. Leavy and Carbery.

Better team on the day took their chances. The game is about taking chances, not Just making them.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby molloyjh » April 28th, 2017, 9:27 am

El Diablo wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
jezzer wrote:Cronin was in the side.


Either way I do think the scoreline reflected the teams on the day so I don't think it had a huge bearing on the result, it was just frustrating to watch some of it. Maybe it helped Clermont gain some momentum at times, but we should have been able to cope with that anyway.

I disagree. Other than the the 1st 15 and the last 10, we were by far the more dangerous looking side. We had the better of the chances from 15 minutes on. If we had gained territory after Ringers try we would have scored again. That is why that ruck on 70 mins was so crucial. Fritz Lee was their best forward on the day but he was lucky to get that penalty...especially when you see it from the ground level camera; he holds on long after he is off his feet causing the Leinster players to panic and pile in......frustrating but that's rugby. I'm not blaming Nigel; we gave ourselves too much to do with the bad start.


I'm not sure I agree with this at all. We were incredibly poor in that opening 15 but even over the course of the rest of the first half we only slowly built our way into the game. We were still making numerous errors. There's no way that we were clearly the more dangerous side for 20-25 mins of that second half and only scored 3 points from it. That break up the left that Carbery lost forward was about the only scoring chance we created for most of the first half. By comparison I thought Clermont looked strong and put some great pace into how they played for good chunks of that half. They had an accuracy that we couldn't match.

In the third quarter it was all Leinster and we did have them rattled, but they rallied well after the disallowed try and got themselves into positions to win the game. And they duly did that. We gave ourselves a shot at winning it, but never really more than that.
User avatar
molloyjh
Mullet
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Blueberry » April 28th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Finally got to sit down and watch the game in full on the big screen last night and as always things are different to your memory of being at the game !!

Nigel made a couple of bad calls and did let Clermont run loose at the breakdown to a degree and he wasn't great at policing the offside line (but in fairness his general reffing balance is always to let the game flow and this is to be applauded) but on balance he was fine and he didn't adversely affect the game. We can't have many complaints. Clermont early on were just physically brutal and we didn't respond and looked a little lost in the headlights. Strettle and Parra in particular were outstanding and between tackles and great running lines from Strettle and Parra's kicking into space they put us under huge pressure.

What was hugely impressive though was the way our younger lads worked their way back into the game and absolutely clear that we have the bones of a stunning team there. We bossed Clermont for about 20 minutes in the second half, it was quite amazing to watch back. The weak spots on the day were Strauss (looked totally lost), Toner, Triggs and to a lesser extent McFadden who contributed little. Isa is also clearly coming to the end of his tenure as he up's his physicality to compensate for his slowing footwork and pace and this cost us a couple of big penalties.

I strongly believe if the coaches had backed youth entirely bringing Adam Byrne and Ross Molony into the team along with starting Cronin (with Tracey on the bench) we would have had a different result. Two of the Clermont tries came from appalling Strauss overthrows that put us under monstrous pressure early on when Clermont were in full flow, just what we didn't need. Triggs butchered a couple of chances in the second half not pushing the ball wide enough, quickly enough when we had overlaps and McFadden offered little going forward despite the endeavour.

The brilliance, exuberance and energy of Ringrose, Henshaw, Carberry and the back row trio (Ruddock was absolutely immense in particular) along with Luke and Sexton both playing well really gave us some stunning rugby to enjoy and we could easily have scored 3/4 tries more.

I did however have a feeling watching back that it just wasn't our day - every bounce of the ball, every half chance went Clermont's way and it just wasn't to be. On another day the Strettle kick through would have gone two yards farther, Lopez would have missed one or both drop goals, Leavy's grab on Rougerie would have gone unpunished and the ball on the very first kickoff would have bounced and been snagged by a Leinster player for a try instead. Any of these things could have swung the game and we just had one of those days !!

Next year injecting Fardy into the second row, Lowe into the backfield and with the huge learning experiences gained for the rest of this young team we have every chance to get that fourth star and perhaps not facing Saracens this year (they appear to be at their peak) in the final is a good thing !!

And please please please can this coaching panel trust youth always and remember experience does not beat talent. Talent always wins !!

We are in a super position once again and I'm hugely positive about where we are. The MOC days are well and truly behind us thankfully.......

As a footnote thought Rougerie used every ounce of experience when Leavy was holding his foot at the base of that infamous ruck - many players would have just pulled the foot out and got on with it but he carefully and cleverly milked that one and showed real intelligence and taught Leavy a lesson !!

Good luck to Clermont in the final but I do fear for them..........

Roll on next year and let's snag the Pro 12 title in the meantime !!
Blueberry
Beginner
 
Posts: 37
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby riocard911 » April 28th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Blueberry wrote:Finally got to sit down and watch the game in full on the big screen last night and as always things are different to your memory of being at the game !!

Nigel made a couple of bad calls and did let Clermont run loose at the breakdown to a degree and he wasn't great at policing the offside line (but in fairness his general reffing balance is always to let the game flow and this is to be applauded) but on balance he was fine and he didn't adversely affect the game. We can't have many complaints. Clermont early on were just physically brutal and we didn't respond and looked a little lost in the headlights. Strettle and Parra in particular were outstanding and between tackles and great running lines from Strettle and Parra's kicking into space they put us under huge pressure.

What was hugely impressive though was the way our younger lads worked their way back into the game and absolutely clear that we have the bones of a stunning team there. We bossed Clermont for about 20 minutes in the second half, it was quite amazing to watch back. The weak spots on the day were Strauss (looked totally lost), Toner, Triggs and to a lesser extent McFadden who contributed little. Isa is also clearly coming to the end of his tenure as he up's his physicality to compensate for his slowing footwork and pace and this cost us a couple of big penalties.

I strongly believe if the coaches had backed youth entirely bringing Adam Byrne and Ross Molony into the team along with starting Cronin (with Tracey on the bench) we would have had a different result. Two of the Clermont tries came from appalling Strauss overthrows that put us under monstrous pressure early on when Clermont were in full flow, just what we didn't need. Triggs butchered a couple of chances in the second half not pushing the ball wide enough, quickly enough when we had overlaps and McFadden offered little going forward despite the endeavour.

The brilliance, exuberance and energy of Ringrose, Henshaw, Carberry and the back row trio (Ruddock was absolutely immense in particular) along with Luke and Sexton both playing well really gave us some stunning rugby to enjoy and we could easily have scored 3/4 tries more.

I did however have a feeling watching back that it just wasn't our day - every bounce of the ball, every half chance went Clermont's way and it just wasn't to be. On another day the Strettle kick through would have gone two yards farther, Lopez would have missed one or both drop goals, Leavy's grab on Rougerie would have gone unpunished and the ball on the very first kickoff would have bounced and been snagged by a Leinster player for a try instead. Any of these things could have swung the game and we just had one of those days !!

Next year injecting Fardy into the second row, Lowe into the backfield and with the huge learning experiences gained for the rest of this young team we have every chance to get that fourth star and perhaps not facing Saracens this year (they appear to be at their peak) in the final is a good thing !!

And please please please can this coaching panel trust youth always and remember experience does not beat talent. Talent always wins !!

We are in a super position once again and I'm hugely positive about where we are. The MOC days are well and truly behind us thankfully.......

As a footnote thought Rougerie used every ounce of experience when Leavy was holding his foot at the base of that infamous ruck - many players would have just pulled the foot out and got on with it but he carefully and cleverly milked that one and showed real intelligence and taught Leavy a lesson !!

Good luck to Clermont in the final but I do fear for them..........

Roll on next year and let's snag the Pro 12 title in the meantime !!


+1!!!
riocard911
Enlightened
 
Posts: 971
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Peg Leg » April 28th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Nice post blueberry. I'd rougerie's reaction was one part nous and one part "I'm not catching that lad"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7939
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 29th, 2017, 12:01 am

Almost agree with you @Blueberry, except that, like Kilkenny hurling panel, it's essential that Leo reward performance with selection on close calls in order to maintain the competitiveness within the Squad.

IMO, Ferg got the nod over Adam Byrne because of his performance against Wasps. Isa's selection was captaincy and Joey-related. I certainly don't believe in youth at all costs, but am delighted to see them selected when their performance, not their potential, warrants.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby VGE » April 29th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Since sunday Ringrose's try I can't help thinking about this one, 10 years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtdoHm2x7jE


Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
User avatar
VGE
Graduate
 
Posts: 534
Joined: August 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Location: Neufchâteau, Lorraine

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 29th, 2017, 12:24 pm

VGE wrote:Since sunday Ringrose's try I can't help thinking about this one, 10 years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtdoHm2x7jE


Au revoir.


Pure magic! You could use some of that against Sarries. Oh for a replay of our youth.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 30th, 2017, 8:24 am

Clermont returned to Lyon yesterday in Top14 with a totally changed team i.e. none of the same starters and only two of the bench. One try and five pens in a 20-23 win. Clermont have recovered their bottle.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby VGE » April 30th, 2017, 8:47 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Clermont returned to Lyon yesterday in Top14 with a totally changed team i.e. none of the same starters and only two of the bench. One try and five pens in a 20-23 win. Clermont have recovered their bottle.



Six pens.

Important, deserved but lucky win (avoiding a Lyon try at the last second)


We could finally rank second if La Rochelle beats Montpellier today and if we beat La Rochelle next week. We did'nt expect this anymore after the home loss vs Brive.


It would avoid a play off game (the second goes'in SF, the 3rd plays a play QF vs the 6th)




Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
User avatar
VGE
Graduate
 
Posts: 534
Joined: August 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Location: Neufchâteau, Lorraine

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby VGE » April 30th, 2017, 8:48 am

VGE wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Clermont returned to Lyon yesterday in Top14 with a totally changed team i.e. none of the same starters and only two of the bench. One try and five pens in a 20-23 win. Clermont have recovered their bottle.



Six pens.

Important, deserved but lucky win (avoiding a Lyon try at the last second)


We could finally rank second if La Rochelle beats Montpellier today and if we beat La Rochelle next week. We did'nt expect this anymore after the home loss vs Brive.


It would avoid a play off game (the second goes'in SF, the 3rd plays a QF vs the 6th)




Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
User avatar
VGE
Graduate
 
Posts: 534
Joined: August 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Location: Neufchâteau, Lorraine

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Hippo » April 30th, 2017, 11:59 am

Still sick from losing this game. I know I should be supporting ASM in the final but I'm afraid I just can't get behind a team containing M. Parra. Think I'll be washing my hair for this one.

PS completely agree with Molloyjh's assessment above
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
User avatar
Hippo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Location: D4. Yes, D4.

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby VGE » April 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Hippo wrote:Still sick from losing this game. I know I should be supporting ASM in the final but I'm afraid I just can't get behind a team containing M. Parra. Think I'll be washing my hair for this one.

PS completely agree with Molloyjh's assessment above


Parra played a great game. If he did'nt you could be supporting Leinster vs Saracens.


Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
User avatar
VGE
Graduate
 
Posts: 534
Joined: August 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Location: Neufchâteau, Lorraine

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby ronk » April 30th, 2017, 12:46 pm

VGE wrote:
Hippo wrote:Still sick from losing this game. I know I should be supporting ASM in the final but I'm afraid I just can't get behind a team containing M. Parra. Think I'll be washing my hair for this one.

PS completely agree with Molloyjh's assessment above


Parra played a great game. If he did'nt you could be supporting Leinster vs Saracens.


Au revoir.


He did, he was outstanding.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8473
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Hippo » April 30th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I'm not disputing that he's a terrific player, or that he was invaluable in the game.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
User avatar
Hippo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Location: D4. Yes, D4.

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Peg Leg » April 30th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Hippo wrote:I'm not disputing that he's a terrific player, or that he was invaluable in the game.

It's the hair, isn't it?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7939
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Hippo » May 1st, 2017, 11:37 am

Peg Leg wrote:
Hippo wrote:I'm not disputing that he's a terrific player, or that he was invaluable in the game.

It's the hair, isn't it?


I can't lie, it doesn't help.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
User avatar
Hippo
Mullet
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Location: D4. Yes, D4.

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby VGE » May 1st, 2017, 12:05 pm

Hippo wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Hippo wrote:I'm not disputing that he's a terrific player, or that he was invaluable in the game.

It's the hair, isn't it?


I can't lie, it doesn't help.

Girls, women and grandmas really loooooooove him. My daughter and my mother do too. Life is really unfair

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AqLOVAX ... e=youtu.be


He was really our match winner last week.


Au revoir
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
User avatar
VGE
Graduate
 
Posts: 534
Joined: August 19th, 2010, 11:04 am
Location: Neufchâteau, Lorraine

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby cormac » May 3rd, 2017, 10:08 am

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4620
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: EPCR SEMI-FINAL V CLERMONT

Postby Ruckedtobits » May 3rd, 2017, 12:22 pm

Another Darcy gem. He writes well and remembers better.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest