Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BlueWheels
Bookworm

Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

Post by BlueWheels »

In all the euphoria of the Wasps win, let’s not forget we’ve a couple of games to play before we meet Clermont, starting with Saturdays away trip to Ospreys

So who will be rested? Will Cronin return? Etc.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hmm... Assume Adam Byrne is out (apologies to all the Adam Byrne #truthers on the board, I saw him injured at the match and he walked, not ran, off), that Ferg will play, is O'Loughlin fit again. Definitely would think that Cronin will be asked to play, and start at that. Not sure Toner will be let play, Think Healy will sub, not sure Furlong is on the bench even.
Reid and Kirchner in midfield perhaps.
JGP and Byrne halfbacks.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Big game this, a win should hopefully mean we get a home SF.

They lost to Stade yesterday. That extra day and a bit rest and the difference in confidence that comes from the respective results should definitely help us.

No idea what side we'll see, could go a little understrength for this and play the full side in the Sportsground before Clermont.

I'd go with:
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Triggs, Leavy, VDF, Ruddock, JGP, Byrne, MCF, Reid, ROL, Isa, Carbery,
Dooley, Strauss, Ross, McCarthy, Conan, McGrath, ZK, DK,

Would like to see that back three get a bit more time, and Carbery get more time in the 15 if that's where he'll be come Lyon.
I'd rest Conan a bit since we'll need him, and also stick DK on the bench.
Last edited by wixfjord on April 3rd, 2017, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

What happened to Conan? I only read about that one afterwards.
Injury update in dIndo says he might be available (along with Dave Kearney and Dippy).

Cronin set to start, he's been working on his darts apparently https://www.instagram.com/p/BSa-7yRhx9P/
I'd give Strauss a rest and bench Tracy.
Leavy put in some shift on Saturday but I guess one of the 3 that started will have to start again.
JGP looked a bit rusty, so hopefully they balance out the gametime of the 9s over the coming 2 games.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

We should go balls out to beat Ospreys and then can rest some lads against Connacht.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

the spoofer wrote:We should go balls out to beat Ospreys and then can rest some lads against Connacht.
Absolutely, beating the Ospreys will go a long way to cementing a home semi-final. Adam Byrne has a low-grade hamstring tear and will miss this week. Could be back for the Connacht game. Cronin, Ruddock and Dave Kearney all expected to be fit. No other injury news from today's presser.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/squad-injury-update/

Cathal Marsh out injured too, while Rob Kearney has had another surgery on a bicep.
Last edited by cormac on April 3rd, 2017, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave K, Rhys and Cronin all available for this according to this: http://www.the42.ie/adam-byrne-sexton-f ... itter_self

Byrne 'should be back in training next week'.

Good stuff.

We've some good back three options now.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

the spoofer wrote:We should go balls out to beat Ospreys and then can rest some lads against Connacht.
+1
Win this one with four match points to zero and we will need only three further points from last three matches to mathematically secure home semi.

As that is a key financial and rugby taget for us ( like a home q/f in Europe), all Coaches and players will be focussed on its significance from way back.

Absence of AWJ and a couple of possible injuries from yesterday will exaggerate 5 day turn-around.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

fourthirtythree wrote:Hmm... Assume Adam Byrne is out (apologies to all the Adam Byrne #truthers on the board, I saw him injured at the match and he walked, not ran, off), that Ferg will play, is O'Loughlin fit again. Definitely would think that Cronin will be asked to play, and start at that. Not sure Toner will be let play, Think Healy will sub, not sure Furlong is on the bench even.
JGP and Byrne halfbacks.
he ran; ok .... didnt sprint, off. I saw him too from 316. see 24.10 or thereabouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--06Szgtyck
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

desperado wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Hmm... Assume Adam Byrne is out (apologies to all the Adam Byrne #truthers on the board, I saw him injured at the match and he walked, not ran, off), that Ferg will play, is O'Loughlin fit again. Definitely would think that Cronin will be asked to play, and start at that. Not sure Toner will be let play, Think Healy will sub, not sure Furlong is on the bench even.
JGP and Byrne halfbacks.
he ran; ok .... didnt sprint, off. I saw him too from 316. see 24.10 or thereabouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--06Szgtyck
That was my memory of it too...thanks for confirming.
Regardless of its provenance, it was a substitution that worked out well IMO.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It worked out well but Byrne was playing very well too. Had a dodgy pass to Carbery but that was when he was injured and couldn't run the ball back himself.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Why not return Henshaw to his natural home @15 - he's wasted as a bosh merchant - and bring Carbery to 10 and have Sexton play 12. These two can then interchange.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Cor. Ind. wrote:Why not return Henshaw to his natural home @15 - he's wasted as a bosh merchant - and bring Carbery to 10 and have Sexton play 12. These two can then interchange.
Deccie: is that you?
Surely your experiment of playing Sexton at 12, to allow you to select a past-his-sell-by date ROG, was already proven to be a mistake.
Why on earth would anyone else want to play the best 10 in the northern hemisphere out of position?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cor. Ind. wrote:Why not return Henshaw to his natural home @15 - he's wasted as a bosh merchant - and bring Carbery to 10 and have Sexton play 12. These two can then interchange.
I've heard a few people say this recently, and I really don't get it. He's by far the best 12 in Ireland, and he's playing really well in green and blue. His ability to take a line and make yards after contact is Darce esque, but he also has passing and kicking ability too, and is strong as an ox in defence.

In any case, to say 'Henshaw is wasted as a bosh merchant' and then call for Sexton to play 12 in the same sentence is pretty special!
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

wixfjord wrote:
I've heard a few people say this recently, and I really don't get it. He's by far the best 12 in Ireland, and he's playing really well in green and blue. His ability to take a line and make yards after contact is Darce esque, but he also has passing and kicking ability too, and is strong as an ox in defence.

In any case, to say 'Henshaw is wasted as a bosh merchant' and then call for Sexton to play 12 in the same sentence is pretty special!
Let's call it 'blue skull thinking'! :lol:
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This is a winner take all game.
Win it and it's feet up to the SFs.
So pick a near full strength team and get on with it.
Edit - like wot Spoofer said previous.
Last edited by Oldschool on April 3rd, 2017, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

How anyone can say he's wasted at 12 is beyond me and then claim he'd be a better 15. If Henshaw plays 15 he'll do exactly what he does at 12 but with a bigger run up. He'll be like Rob Kearney. He's not a play making 12 and he's not a play making 15 either.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Presumably McFadden is a straight swap for Byrne, Reid to bench then ahead of DK or Daly

otherwise my guess is changes at a minimum, would be pleasantly surprised if Cronin came straight in at 2 (sub hooker an interesting call too then) but he'll be in the squad

this game also kills off a rival potentially in race for home semi, plus the internationals only back a week
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I can Sexton being given a break definitely. Said after he's had a shoulder injury since Wales. Carbery to out half or Byrne in there IMO.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Presumably McFadden is a straight swap for Byrne, Reid to bench then ahead of DK or Daly

otherwise my guess is changes at a minimum, would be pleasantly surprised if Cronin came straight in at 2 (sub hooker an interesting call too then) but he'll be in the squad

this game also kills off a rival potentially in race for home semi, plus the internationals only back a week
McFadden and DK I reckon on the wings with Isa at FB
I think we won't see Sexton so JC to 10

I reckon (and hope) Cronin will come back in at 2 for the gametime, Strauss probably gonna be the starter for Clermont but we need Cronin to be up to match pace for his impact off the bench