Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Sat 3pm - Live on Sky

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Cor. Ind. wrote:Why not return Henshaw to his natural home @15 - he's wasted as a bosh merchant - and bring Carbery to 10 and have Sexton play 12. These two can then interchange.
As a Connacht fan people saying Henshaw is a natural 15 makes me despair. He was played there in his debut season to ease him into professional rugby and to avoid having a teenager playing 13. He was a centre in school and was straight back into centre for Connacht once he had matured a bit. I have always thought he's a better 13 but he certainly wasn't "wasted at 12" at the weekend
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

erskinechilders wrote:I can Sexton being given a break definitely. Said after he's had a shoulder injury since Wales. Carbery to out half or Byrne in there IMO.
If Sexton is carrying a dodgy shoulder then Carberry should be benched with RB starting.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:Why not return Henshaw to his natural home @15 - he's wasted as a bosh merchant - and bring Carbery to 10 and have Sexton play 12. These two can then interchange.
As a Connacht fan people saying Henshaw is a natural 15 makes me despair. He was played there in his debut season to ease him into professional rugby and to avoid having a teenager playing 13. He was a centre in school and was straight back into centre for Connacht once he had matured a bit. I have always thought he's a better 13 but he certainly wasn't "wasted at 12" at the weekend
Pay no heed. Some posters will suggest anything to ensure RK never plays FB for Leinster again, never mind Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Certainly believe that Joey should continue as full back, ideally with same wingers. Byrne for No. 10, if J10 not available.

Need to get forwards who may be required, gametime at this standard. It's now getting important to ensure that guys covering key positions have quality preparation.

Possibly:
1. Cian
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Triggs
5. Dev / Molony
6. Rhys
7. Josh
8. SO'B / Conan
9. JGP
10. Byrne R
11. Isa/ Daly B
12. Reid
13. Kirchner
14. Ferg
15. Joey

Bench
16. Treacy
17. Dooley
18. Porter
19. Dev/ Molony
20. SO'B /Conan
21. McGrath L
22. Daly T
23. Isa / Daly B
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ROL at 13 surely? I'd say DK will get a bench spot at least if he's avail too, would be a handy guy to have back in the squad.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
the spoofer wrote:We should go balls out to beat Ospreys and then can rest some lads against Connacht.
+1
Win this one with four match points to zero and we will need only three further points from last three matches to mathematically secure home semi.
I totally agree with spoofer on this one. The opposing view on Bluestalk was that management will prioritise Clermont and rest players this week. I hope not.

4 match points to zero puts us on 74 and the Os on 64. 16 wins to 13. Three games left giving the Os a possible maximum of 79 points and 16 wins. "Mathematically" we need 6 points from 3 games. Or 5 points including a win.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:ROL at 13 surely? I'd say DK will get a bench spot at least if he's avail too, would be a handy guy to have back in the squad.
Would agree with both of those @wixfjord. We've got to the point that you need the full Squad list in front of you when picking any team.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

It's a difficult balancing act for the coaching staff. Some rotation is possible though without hurting our chances in Swansea. For me 1-23:

Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Moloney, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, JGP, Byrne, Dave K, Henshaw, RO'L, Ferg, Carberry, Strauss, McGrath, Bent, SO'B, Leavy, McGrath, Isa, Ringrose.

I think that's a serious squad that could get the job done whilst still allowing us to manage key players gametime for Lyon. Really the only starter from Wasps who I'd like to see playing the full 160 mins against Ospreys and Connacht is Carberry @ 15 if possible.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Certainly believe that Joey should continue as full back, ideally with same wingers. Byrne for No. 10, if J10 not available.

Need to get forwards who may be required, gametime at this standard. It's now getting important to ensure that guys covering key positions have quality preparation.

Possibly:
1. Cian
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Triggs
5. Dev / Molony
6. Rhys
7. Josh
8. SO'B / Conan
9. JGP
10. Byrne R
11. Isa/ Daly B
12. Reid
13. Kirchner
14. Ferg
15. Joey

Bench
16. Treacy
17. Dooley
18. Porter
19. Dev/ Molony
20. SO'B /Conan
21. McGrath L
22. Daly T
23. Isa / Daly B
I'd be wary of including Porter as a tight head at this level so soon even if it's only for 10 or 20 minutes off the bench. Ospreys have a few experienced loose heads such as Paul James or Nicky Smith who would target young Andrew. I do think the idea of making AP into a tight head is a good one as he certainly has the physique for the position and hopefully can learn the technical details but Leinster should bring him slowly. A few games at A level as well as the UBL experience he is getting should move him on over time.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

rdsblue wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Certainly believe that Joey should continue as full back, ideally with same wingers. Byrne for No. 10, if J10 not available.

Possibly:
1. Cian
2. Cronin
3. Bent
4. Triggs
5. Dev / Molony
6. Rhys
7. Josh
8. SO'B / Conan
9. JGP
10. Byrne R
11. Isa/ Daly B
12. Reid
13. Kirchner
14. Ferg
15. Joey

Bench
16. Treacy
17. Dooley
18. Porter
19. Dev/ Molony
20. SO'B /Conan
21. McGrath L
22. Daly T
23. Isa / Daly B
I'd be wary of including Porter as a tight head at this level so soon even if it's only for 10 or 20 minutes off the bench. Ospreys have a few experienced loose heads such as Paul James or Nicky Smith who would target young Andrew. I do think the idea of making AP into a tight head is a good one as he certainly has the physique for the position and hopefully can learn the technical details but Leinster should bring him slowly. A few games at A level as well as the UBL experience he is getting should move him on over time.
People who include Porter in a match day 23 as TH have never worn the number 3 jersey!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Who retired Mike Ross?
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

johng wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
the spoofer wrote:We should go balls out to beat Ospreys and then can rest some lads against Connacht.
+1
Win this one with four match points to zero and we will need only three further points from last three matches to mathematically secure home semi.
I totally agree with spoofer on this one. The opposing view on Bluestalk was that management will prioritise Clermont and rest players this week. I hope not.

4 match points to zero puts us on 74 and the Os on 64. 16 wins to 13. Three games left giving the Os a possible maximum of 79 points and 16 wins. "Mathematically" we need 6 points from 3 games. Or 5 points including a win.
The Pro 12's stock has certainly gone up. I think the same when it comes to Os/Clermont or league/cup - Its a great luxury to even consider if we should how we approach a european semi final / league run in. I think we will prioritise the sf over the league games, but even to question is good.

Before, there would have been no question at all. Maybe thanks to the introduction of the grand final, a result us besting the AP leaders last week or the chance of a Leinster Munster CC final and Pro 12 final back to back - whatever, its great to see our league getting more respect.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

the spoofer wrote:
People who include Porter in a match day 23 as TH have never worn the number 3 jersey!
Very few have I suspect - not at any reasonably serious level anyway.
Four Stars
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Porter needs more time at AIL/A level before he plays pro 12.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote:Who retired Mike Ross?
Unless Mike has been really putting in the yards at training, he is a major impediment to playing the way we are trying to do at present and, in particular, will be "targeted" in defence, because of his limitations in lateral movement.

If we could get Porter in for 20 mins with possibly 3/4 scrums- hopefully not with game in the balance - it would be a huge advancement in his transition to TH. However, totally accept that it would be a gamble at this point and, despite my comments about Rossy elsewhere, he would be the more logical choice.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Unless Mike has been really putting in the yards at training, he is a major impediment to playing the way we are trying to do at present and, in particular, will be "targeted" in defence, because of his limitations in lateral movement.

If we could get Porter in for 20 mins with possibly 3/4 scrums- hopefully not with game in the balance - it would be a huge advancement in his transition to TH. However, totally accept that it would be a gamble at this point and, despite my comments about Rossy elsewhere, he would be the more logical choice.
Problem with getting someone in for 20 minutes is that's not always how it works out and I wouldn't like to face the O's with a rookie for 60 minutes, we'd get reamed.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Lacey is the ref for this one.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

You're hoping to have the Ospreys killed off with 20 mins to go away from home with the likes of Reid and Kirchner starting the centres? I think you may be underestimating the Os a little
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

cormac wrote:Lacey is the ref for this one.
We are screwed, not like a Clancy screwing but screwed all the same.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote:
cormac wrote:Lacey is the ref for this one.
We are screwed, not like a Clancy screwing but screwed all the same.
Is there any difference in the end?