Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday 5.15

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Ah jaysus :lol:
This in the year we broke the Pro12 try record? Come on dude!
That's a fact, but more precision is needed in the big games. Why did Lancaster finish second four years in a row in the 6N? Because his teams weren't clinical
:lol:

Gotta laugh at times.
Did you watch England v Scotland in 2015, or England v Italy in 2014?

Actually, the problem isn't just in big matches. It's happened across several league games this season. At home to Cardiff stands out, but there were several other games like that as well where many good opportunities were butchered through lack of precision. Overall, it's not a problem across the season, because the style of play gets the results to get a home play-off, but I fear for us in the actual knock-out games - or fear that we'll lose a game we should win through not taking chances at any rate
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Had actually forgotten about jack until you mentioned him there.

It's far too early to write off Joey as a ten. I'm not sure where he'll end up but he's shown enough to suggest that he has the goods for it. Bad day at the office but nothing terminal. I'd be worried if he has to play there again in the knockouts though, regardless of how relaxed he always is I can't imagine his confidence wasn't dented.
He was fine there before he got injured, which suggests he might well have a future there. Moving to fullback has helped expose some flaws when shifting to 10. Early to call.
Exactly. There's knee-jerk and there's this forum after a frustrating loss. Carberry's finished, Lancaster's shite, etc. Jaysus- really??

The only constant is that Luke cannot be criticised on his passing. [runs away and hides... :twisted: ]
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

No team converts 100% of chances, especially not while the project is still in the early phases.

The type of rugby that makes chances is usually the type that wastes chances too.

This was a tight game and lots of things could be pinpointed, but intensity and overall level of performance was probably a bigger thing.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

desperado wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Bouncing between full back and out half is madness. Pick one and stick to it.
As long as it's not outhalf
Agreed. Future is fullback. BODs opinion (on OTB) was his best position would be FB and his loose/off the cuff play is better coming from FB but not best suited to OH. Evidence today to back that assertion I'd say.
I think it needs to be taken into account that it might take a while to re-adjust to playing 10 after playing 15 for a good while. Carbery was excellent at 10 earlier in the season
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If his passing was substandard he wouldn't have been voted player of the year. It's one bad passing game having generally been very good all season.
+1
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Lancaster out
Carberry back to Clontarf etc etc!!!!!....crazy talk on here after that game

We played too loose against a fired up backs to the wall Ulster side high on emotion
We lacked a clinical edge especially in the 2nd half but overall I didn't think we were they bad

The first try was the worst I thought, so soft on the fringe
Missed Johnny and Robbie massively in the middle
I think we'll take huge learnings from this for the semi
Did us the world of good last year losing up north before semi
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Lancaster out
Carberry back to Clontarf etc etc!!!!!....crazy talk on here after that game

We played too loose against a fired up backs to the wall Ulster side high on emotion
We lacked a clinical edge especially in the 2nd half but overall I didn't think we were they bad

The first try was the worst I thought, so soft on the fringe
Missed Johnny and Robbie massively in the middle
I think we'll take huge learnings from this for the semi
Did us the world of good last year losing up north before semi
Clear case of "Swamp needing draining"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
The only constant is that Luke cannot be criticised on his passing. [runs away and hides... :twisted: ]
Even if that's a joke that's annoying and moronic. His passing was poor at times in the first half (and i agreed with that)...it wasn't even poor in the second and yet you gave the impression that that was symptomatic of his season. It wasn't, and there's ample evidence to support that. Stop letting rare examples support your antiquated views of rugby/confirmation bias and let people who actually know what they're talking about educate you on your clueless opinions.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

While it was disappointing to lose, I wouldn't be too worried about that result. Ulster were playing with huge emotion in front of a packed house and we couldn't match them in the emotional stakes. That's okay. It might seem an odd thing to say, but I think it's just pragmatic.

There was very little at stake for us. We already had the home SF wrapped up, and with the final in a neutral venue, there's no reward for finishing top of the pile. Bar Leinster fans, not a lot of people remember that we topped the league last year.

I felt there were three important elements to this fixture for us:
1] get the majority of the team who will start the semi out on the pitch, because a lot of them have only played a couple of games together [Wasps & Clermont] in the last four months;
2] get out of it with no injuries to positions where we're light [scrum-half and No8];
3] have a tough match to test our intensity, probe our weaknesses and prepare us for a semi-final.

Obviously it would have been preferable to get the win rather than lose, but you learn more from losses than wins. The loss will have pissed the players off, but it pisses them off when they can do something about it. It's a hell of a lot better than coming out slightly cold against a good team in the semis and losing out because you weren't at the pitch of the game from the first contact.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Agree here. It was a dead rubber, but one that Ulster were up for because of the leaving players and the ensuing full house. Add to that, a few Leinster men are probably watching themselves for later in the summer and a few ulster men are trying to prove themselves for later in the summer. I fancied Leinster for this game myself, but after 5-10 minutes I realised I'd been silly.

There will be some disappointed men this morning mind you, as it is still an interprovincial and Schmidt was there. Only Adam Byrne had a good showing in the Leinster backline. Ringrose did well too in fairness, but Luke Marshall just about held on defensively, and had decent help from McCloskey on the inside. I thought he did well for Ulster, they didn't offer much attacking threat other than himself and Piutau, or maybe their good defence forcing something. Ulster will need more than that though and the Welsh teams could well put them under pressure next season.

Other than that, Leavy (again) looked really good and I thought Tracy's darts looked a bit sharper. It's been a 2 week hiatus really, but should be a cracking game now against Llanelli.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Leavy is definitely in pole position to start in the SF.
Ruddock has to start for me too.

Question is, who fits into the other jersey.

I think Ruddock, Leavy and Conan is our best backrow at the moment, choice between SOB and VDF to bench?

I thought Molony had another nice cameo last night, as did Healy.

Also it was incredibly heartening again to see Porter do so well. If he can continue on that trajectory at the start of next year he'll be some asset.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Without reading back through everything Carberry just got bullied/beatup in the first half and suffered for it, no shame though in that for a young outhalf. Byrne shouldve come on though

Agree bigtime Levy is our best backrower right now
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Even if that's a joke that's annoying and moronic. His passing was poor at times in the first half (and i agreed with that)...it wasn't even poor in the second and yet you gave the impression that that was symptomatic of his season. It wasn't, and there's ample evidence to support that. Stop letting rare examples support your antiquated views of rugby/confirmation bias and let people who actually know what they're talking about educate you on your clueless opinions.
Quite right. Always good to have experts like yourself educate us ignorant and antiquated peasants. Sure what does passing matter anyway, when you have an award to prove you're perfect. Enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Reckon Ulster's 16th man played an important part in getting them that victory. Shows what we as supporters have to do, when the Scarlets rock up in Ballsbridge Friday week!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Ulster v Leinster Saturday 5.15

Post by artaneboy »

Yes, I know we aren't impartial but a least a couple of their penalties- and as importantly our deserved penalties, were likely to be influenced by the crowd. On reflection, it was probably a little 'relaxed' of us to expect them to fold when they were saying goodbye to a couple of their legends. "Dead cat bounce" I suspect for them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Frustratingly poor, sloppy performance, and as DC mentioned earlier, a self-indulgent effort from Carbery. I'm sure he'll have learned from it.

For their try VdeF was barged out of the way by their flanker who made a screening run, NFL fashion. Shame we didn't have the Lyon TMO.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:While it was disappointing to lose, I wouldn't be too worried about that result. Ulster were playing with huge emotion in front of a packed house and we couldn't match them in the emotional stakes. That's okay. It might seem an odd thing to say, but I think it's just pragmatic.

There was very little at stake for us. We already had the home SF wrapped up, and with the final in a neutral venue, there's no reward for finishing top of the pile. Bar Leinster fans, not a lot of people remember that we topped the league last year.

I felt there were three important elements to this fixture for us:
1] get the majority of the team who will start the semi out on the pitch, because a lot of them have only played a couple of games together [Wasps & Clermont] in the last four months;
2] get out of it with no injuries to positions where we're light [scrum-half and No8];
3] have a tough match to test our intensity, probe our weaknesses and prepare us for a semi-final.

Obviously it would have been preferable to get the win rather than lose, but you learn more from losses than wins. The loss will have pissed the players off, but it pisses them off when they can do something about it. It's a hell of a lot better than coming out slightly cold against a good team in the semis and losing out because you weren't at the pitch of the game from the first contact.
+1.
I'd also add that it's better to lose a game like that than getting a chancy win and think we'll get away with it against Scarlets in the S/F - We won't.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

"We can’t let our motivation waver game to game, there’s no excuse. Playing at the top level, you can’t be up for one game and not be up for the next.
To come out today and not be motivated is no excuse. We just weren’t where we needed to be and Ulster were better on the day."

“Personally, it was a poor performance from me and I know the rest of the lads aren’t overly happy with how they went either.
We’ll be better for this and it’ll fuel the fire in two weeks’ time when the Scarlets come to the RDS.”

Jack Conan's very honest assessment of yesterdays game.

I like Jack Conan 8)
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

riocard911 wrote:Reckon Ulster's 16th man played an important part in getting them that victory. Shows what we as supporters have to do, when the Scarlets rock up in Ballsbridge Friday week!!!!!
Was disappointed with inaccuracy of our performance & the fact we now have to play a stronger Scarlets as opposed to Ospreys.

However, 24 hours on think we will iron out most of our failings and will perform at the RDS on Friday week especially with Sexton, Henshaw & Cronin adding to our attack & organisation.

Thought Adam Byrne was good & Joey & Luke will up their game & will learn more in defeat than if they had won without being tested.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Impressive words there from Conan....