Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ulster pt2

Glasgow (a), Llanelli x2, Munster(a),, Montpellier(a), Castres(a), Ulster(a)

When the chips are down...
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

TerenureJim wrote: Ref was a bit out of his depth
Plenty of people were happy with Mitrea as ref before the game. We can't blame him because we played so poorly and lost.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TerenureJim wrote:Wow what a shambles of a game, and yet if that initial Isa try wasn't called back I reckon we'd have won it. Ref was a bit out of his depth but ffs we were passing the ball into touch against 14 men. That was a game that cried out for a Ferg type on the wing instead of Byrne, we were found out as slightly callow, but the young guns will learn from this and overall I think it's been a positive season, just gutted that it's not a classic bug Leinster v Munster final in Lansdowne
I'm sort of happy, with the injuries we would've been ridden next week.
Imagine starting JGP at 9 against Murray. :cry:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If we had at any stage given them a reason to fill the ruck by taking it around the corner we could have created space. We failed at the basics expecting the chances to arrive via fancy footwork EVERY TIME.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

shocking performance, but some of the supporters were worse, leaving in large numbers when the game was still in the balance and watching the players doing a lap of the pitch in an empty stadium with it being triggs last game and all is pretty low, someone mentioned a good point earlier that the younger lads will learn from this and I think they will, we nearly reached the champions cup final on a fresh coaching ticket and have being playing the best attacking rugby for most of the season.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Henry's influence wanes. Lancaster's influence grows.

Ah well. A fair number of young, promising players emerged this season
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

If ever we missed Jamie Heaslip this game was it
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote:Henry's influence wanes. Lancaster's influence grows.

The half life of Henry's influence seemed to last right up until Leavy pulled Rougerie's ankle in Lyon. Funny that isn't it? Wouldn't be confirmation bias by any chance?

Like you certainly would look at 'Lancaster's influence' tonight. Definitely his fault.

And not any of the player's on the pitch.

Ah well.
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

RoboProp wrote:If ever we missed Jamie Heaslip this game was it
And if sexton was out we would be saying he would have steered us to victory and controlled the game, as a collective we were not at the standard required, simple as that
leinsterforever
Mullet

wixfjord wrote:

The half life of Henry's influence seemed to last right up until Leavy pulled Rougerie's ankle in Lyon. Funny that isn't it? Wouldn't be confirmation bias by any chance?

Like you certainly would look at 'Lancaster's influence' tonight. Definitely his fault.

Ah well.
You don't think a team with the quality of individual that Leinster have losing a half of rugby 6-5 against 14 men has some coaching issues?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Ah well.
You don't think a team with the quality of individual that Leinster have losing a half of rugby 6-5 against 14 men has some coaching issues?
Absolutely.

To isolate it to Lancaster though? To reference Henry's influence as waning tonight?

I think there's a flaw in that line of thinking.
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

leinsterforever wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Ah well.
The coaches set a team up who have consistently played brilliant all season long, it it their fault that on this one off game the players decided to drop balls, pass into touch and for a world class player like sexton playing himself off the lions, no I don't think it is, as isa said, it was down to the players
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

leinster10 wrote:
And if sexton was out we would be saying he would have steered us to victory and controlled the game, as a collective we were not at the standard required, simple as that
But Sexton was there and he was disgracefully bad. He was clearly hurt and either shouldn't have played or should have come off. I really hope his motivation in (a) playing and (b) staying on wasn't influenced by his desire to go and play for Britain. He didn't place kick and refused to take contact, instead choosing to pass the ball for his centres to get pummeled. A solid 2/10 performance, and he gets the two because of Northampton 2011.
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

joooooe wrote:
leinster10 wrote:
But Sexton was there and he was disgracefully bad. He was clearly hurt and either shouldn't have played or should have come off. I really hope his motivation in (a) playing and (b) staying on wasn't influenced by his desire to go and play for Britain. He didn't place kick and refused to take contact, instead choosing to pass the ball for his centres to get pummeled. A solid 2/10 performance, and he gets the two because of Northampton 2011.
Your missing my point, I know sexton was there and he made no impact on the game, possibly injured or not, if he wasn't there people would be saying he could have changed the game, what I'm saying is you could have had sob or heaslip starting and it wouldn't have changed the result because it's a team sport and collectively we were a disaster
leinsterforever
Mullet

wixfjord wrote:Absolutely.

To isolate it to Lancaster though? To reference Henry's influence as waning tonight?

Tonight is just a continuation of the trend. Does it not stand to reason that Henry's imprint will become less and less strong as time passes and Lancaster, the in-situ coach, will have more and more of an influence on how the team plays?

There was a lack of precision, clarity and honed execution out there today, similar to how England often played under Lancaster
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

nc6000 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: Ref was a bit out of his depth
Plenty of people were happy with Mitrea as ref before the game. We can't blame him because we played so poorly and lost.
Oh I was happy with him as an appointment and he has progressed but he was not great on the night, breakdown was a mess, but I can't fault him for us playing like a bunch of under 10's who met 20 mins before the game. To surmise tonight's performance if that team fell into a bag of tits its come up sucking its thumb.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote:

Tonight is just a continuation of the trend. Does it not stand to reason that Henry's imprint will become less and less strong as time passes and Lancaster, the in-situ coach, will have more and more of an influence on how the team plays?

There was a lack of precision, clarity and honed execution out there today, similar to how England often played under Lancaster
And there we have it, confirmation bias at its finest. Literally the definition of it.

Funny isn't it that Henry's influence managed to last until mid way through our third last game, and then somehow Lancaster's influence ensured we lost to Clermont, Ulster and Scarlets.

Strange...
leinsterforever
Mullet

leinster10 wrote:The coaches set a team up who have consistently played brilliant all season long, it it their fault that on this one off game the players decided to drop balls, pass into touch and for a world class player like sexton playing himself off the lions, no I don't think it is, as isa said, it was down to the players
Rugby's a team game. When everyone's making similar mistakes from one match to the next, and issues aren't being fixed from one match to the next, then I look at the coaching.

The alignment in attack and lines run by players were very poor. There were poor, easily-readable passes being thrown. The attacking shape was off. I would put theses things down to the coaching
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote:
leinster10 wrote:The coaches set a team up who have consistently played brilliant all season long, it it their fault that on this one off game the players decided to drop balls, pass into touch and for a world class player like sexton playing himself off the lions, no I don't think it is, as isa said, it was down to the players
Rugby's a team game. When everyone's making similar mistakes from one match to the next, and issues aren't being fixed from one match to the next, then I look at the coaching.

The alignment in attack and lines run by players were very poor. There were poor, easily-readable passes being thrown. The attacking shape was off. I would put theses things down to the coaching
And one coach in particular it seems.

#LancasterOUT!
leinsterforever
Mullet

wixfjord wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

And there we have it, confirmation bias at its finest. Literally the definition of it.

Funny isn't it that Henry's influence managed to last until mid way through our third last game, and then somehow Lancaster's influence ensured we lost to Clermont, Ulster and Scarlets.

Strange...
Where did I say that it lasted till out third last game? Henry's influence would have started to wane as soon as he left. It's only natural