Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blueberry
Mullet

Re: Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

Post by Blueberry »

ISA v ROL I can understand, Staring ROL would be brave ahead of ISA and I hear you on Leavy as well, It's a tough one but O'Brien is a Lion and a world class player of proven ability, if fully fit he must start.

Harder to see your Molony v Triggs call - Molony has looked good and deserves a shot and Triggs has been poorish I feel in his last couple of games, was one of our weaker performers v Clermont. Also gives us more flexibility off the bench as we can push Ruddock into 2nd Row and give O'Brien 50/55 mins and then bring on VDF and Leavy for impact......not bad really !!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blueberry wrote:ISA v ROL I can understand, Staring ROL would be brave ahead of ISA and I hear you on Leavy as well, It's a tough one but O'Brien is a Lion and a world class player of proven ability, if fully fit he must start.

Harder to see your Molony v Triggs call - Molony has looked good and deserves a shot and Triggs has been poorish I feel in his last couple of games, was one of our weaker performers v Clermont. Also gives us more flexibility off the bench as we can push Ruddock into 2nd Row and give O'Brien 50/55 mins and then bring on VDF and Leavy for impact......not bad really !!
Molony has been good off the bench (which ironically might be a reason for keeping him there), but Triggs has been very good all season. Thought he played against Clermont, are you sure you're not focusing too much on his overlap butchery?

Scarlets have a fairly beefy pack (something they don't often have) so I don't think we'll see Triggs dropped after playing every big game we've had all year.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Suspect you are right and Triggs will get the start but do think he was poor in general v Clermont and if so I hope he has a blinder as he has contributed well all year. Just feel there has been something about Molony in the last couple of games and I would like him to get the nod.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Molony's form is on the up. He captained us to the narrow win vs Glasgow. Triggs's form seems to be dipping. He was guilty of overlap butchery vs Ulster too, if I remember correctly. If it were up to me, I'd pick Molony ahead of Triggs.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If you're picking your second rows based upon their skills in the loose then it wouldn't be Triggs you'd be dropping...

It's elephant in the room time, Toner has been very poor in 2nd half of the season, certainly not up to the standard we need him to be.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:If you're picking your second rows based upon their skills in the loose then it wouldn't be Triggs you'd be dropping...

It's elephant in the room time, Toner has been very poor in 2nd half of the season, certainly not up to the standard we need him to be.
Sin fíor!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

O'Loughlin is my favourite out of all the back three options. He seems to be the forgotten man a bit at the moment, with most of the talk being of Byrne, McFadden, Nacewa and Carbery. ROL would be first choice 11 for me (when he's not needed at 13)
Rex_Banner
Beginner

Post by Rex_Banner »

wixfjord wrote:If you're picking your second rows based upon their skills in the loose then it wouldn't be Triggs you'd be dropping...

Have to agree with this. The obvious advantage of starting Toner is for the lineout but even that hasn't exactly excelled recently. He's not offering a whole lot around the park anymore and considering Scarlets' beefy pack Moloney and Triggs as a combination would add more physicality. Now I won't be complaining if Dev does start but I think if you were picking on recent form it'd be Moloney and Triggs to start the game.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Rex_Banner wrote:

Have to agree with this. The obvious advantage of starting Toner is for the lineout but even that hasn't exactly excelled recently. He's not offering a whole lot around the park anymore and considering Scarlets' beefy pack Moloney and Triggs as a combination would add more physicality. Now I won't be complaining if Dev does start but I think if you were picking on recent form it'd be Moloney and Triggs to start the game.
This sort of nonsense has really caught on since the Ireland v England game, and was basically non existent before hand. Surprising how people get mislead by Munster favouring pundits spreading fake news.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
Rex_Banner wrote:

This sort of nonsense has really caught on since the Ireland v England game, and was basically non existent before hand. Surprising how people get mislead by Munster favouring pundits spreading fake news.
It's really not nonsense to say Toner hasn't played well in the second half of the season.
For a guy who's supposed to be a corner stone of our pack, he hasn't stood up to the level of a test lock, whereas Triggs has been by and large really good.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

No-one in the Munster media has called out Toner for playing poorly though (unlike the at times personal and vindictive campaigns against Heaslip, the Kearneys, McFadden, Fitzgerald before, VDF before the 6 nations this year, Ringrose before the 6 nations this year, etc..)

Toner has genuinely been quite poor. I think he's knackered, missing the Lions could be a blessing.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

neiliog93 wrote:No-one in the Munster media has called out Toner for playing poorly though (unlike the at times personal and vindictive campaigns against Heaslip, the Kearneys, McFadden, Fitzgerald before, VDF before the 6 nations this year, Ringrose before the 6 nations this year, etc..)

Toner has genuinely been quite poor. I think he's knackered, missing the Lions could be a blessing.
Munster attacks usually align with them having, in there own minds anyway someone who can challenge the Leinster player for international honours,
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Tone has been really poor in recent times and deserves to be benched now.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Or "Shoot yourself in the foot time"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:

Or "Shoot yourself in the foot time"
I didn't advocate dropping Toner, as you'll notice in the post above.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cronin a fairly big doubt for Friday.
RH also nursing a rib injury but sounds more promising.
SOB should be back.

RH would be the biggest loss of that trio. Cronin is a big plus but I think we can get by with the other two.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jake Ball out for Scarlets. That's a big plus for us. He's a cornerstone of their pack. Think we can really overpower them there now. We should have no issues in scrum or lineout, so no real excuses.
James Davies facing late fitness test too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote:Cronin a fairly big doubt for Friday.
SOB should be back.

RH would be the biggest loss of that trio. Cronin is a big plus but I think we can get by with the other two.
Neither of the other two have been very good lately...
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Losing RH would be a big blow considering how good J Davis and S Williams are as a centre pair. RH was in a lot of pain at the end of the Clermont match with a rib injury so will the impending Lions tour influence his selection if there is any doubt (I hope not )
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Cronin a fairly big doubt for Friday.
SOB should be back.

Neither of the other two have been very good lately...
No but I think we can get by Scarlets with them.