Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Pro 12 Semi-final vs Scarlets

Post by Logorrhea »

matt wrote:Was Sexton too powerful for Leo to take off when it was obvious in second half he needed to be replaced. If so very worrying.
Oh ffs.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Johnny really was a different animal after his knock. In the first passage of play he made two ferocious clear outs and a big aggressive hit. After his knock the only time I noticed him doing anything particularly physical was a big hit for a desperate cover tackle which is a bit different to being in normal phase play when you can protect yourself a bit better. He was passing a bit too early and just looked uncomfortable. I noticed Ross Byrne was ready to come on just at around the 73rd minute when Ringrose went off but didn't actually come on for another five minutes, wonder why that was? Johnny made another bad mistake in that period.

He also started going wider in defence and we tried to hide JGP out wide as well, plus JGP's sweeping is pretty much non existent. I know we have Luke out wide a bit too but he's an outstanding defender and the difference that those three elements made was huge. Lots of other missed tackles but a fit Johnny and Luke would have made us much stronger and able to scramble better at least.

Ringrose really was briliant. He slid off a couple of tackles but was generally excellent. Don't want to blame Mitrea after such a bad performance from us and when he gave us such a big advantage after the red but thought he missed a big call when Ringrose shot up on Davies and forced a drop ball but was then held back off the ball. It was a definite penalty and yellow card IMO, touch judge very poor there too. I'd like to see the scrums that went against us again, no good replays of them but I can't imagine Healy would have pulled them down.
Mitrea had no help from his assistants and given the hostile crowd and big occasion he did ok.

The problems at 2nd row are alarming. Fardy could turn out to be fantastic for us but why couldn't we sign an actual 2nd row? We could really use a big enforcer there.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I hope Fardy and Lowe turn out to be more substantial than the collection of rubbish that we have bought in over the past 4 seasons
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Really disappointing display and the Ulster match really did come back to haunt us.
Very disorganised second half and we showed very little nous in how to break down a 14 man team.
Irish teams have not had great success in trying to steam roller Welsh teams in the last few years.
The sight of Hayden Triggs being the last man back to deal with a kick in the first half showed that quite a few players were totally off the pace.
Adam Byrne reminded me of Fionn Carr with his run and non tackle approach which is sad because I am a fan of the guy.
Repeating what several have said but Johnny was really very poor in all aspects.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Last edited by bronxbull on May 20th, 2017, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I hope there are a few guys watching Munster tonight and feeling embarrassed at their performances last night.

The most disappointed I can remember being as a Leinster fan for a while.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The mystery/bad part is thats 2 duff performances in a row in big league games
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Keith wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Johnny really was a different animal after his knock. In the first passage of play he made two ferocious clear outs and a big aggressive hit. After his knock the only time I noticed him doing anything particularly physical was a big hit for a desperate cover tackle which is a bit different to being in normal phase play when you can protect yourself a bit better. He was passing a bit too early and just looked uncomfortable. I noticed Ross Byrne was ready to come on just at around the 73rd minute when Ringrose went off but didn't actually come on for another five minutes, wonder why that was? Johnny made another bad mistake in that period.

He also started going wider in defence and we tried to hide JGP out wide as well, plus JGP's sweeping is pretty much non existent. I know we have Luke out wide a bit too but he's an outstanding defender and the difference that those three elements made was huge. Lots of other missed tackles but a fit Johnny and Luke would have made us much stronger and able to scramble better at least.

Ringrose really was briliant. He slid off a couple of tackles but was generally excellent. Don't want to blame Mitrea after such a bad performance from us and when he gave us such a big advantage after the red but thought he missed a big call when Ringrose shot up on Davies and forced a drop ball but was then held back off the ball. It was a definite penalty and yellow card IMO, touch judge very poor there too. I'd like to see the scrums that went against us again, no good replays of them but I can't imagine Healy would have pulled them down.
Mitrea had no help from his assistants and given the hostile crowd and big occasion he did ok.

The problems at 2nd row are alarming. Fardy could turn out to be fantastic for us but why couldn't we sign an actual 2nd row? We could really use a big enforcer there.

Should've signed Donncha Ryan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

As an outsider viewing the match Leinster were in the turn up in kit and just clock up another win mode same as when they came to Ravenhill, Ulster were pretty average that day and Scarlets were actually nothing special on Friday night.
Take your foot of the neck of a rabid dying dog and it will bite you.
Players heads not in proper game mode and just expected a win which was exacerbated by Scarlets red card leading to capitulation and loss.
A lot of inexperienced players now know what it takes to win trophies and long term will do the likes of Carbery good.
Move on enjoy the summer and see you all next season.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

rooster wrote:As an outsider viewing the match Leinster were in the turn up in kit and just clock up another win mode same as when they came to Ravenhill, Ulster were pretty average that day and Scarlets were actually nothing special on Friday night.
Take your foot of the neck of a rabid dying dog and it will bite you.
Players heads not in proper game mode and just expected a win which was exacerbated by Scarlets red card leading to capitulation and loss.
A lot of inexperienced players now know what it takes to win trophies and long term will do the likes of Carbery good.
Move on enjoy the summer and see you all next season.
Good post and thanks for the external view, all a bit sore here still !! I suppose what is irritating for Leinster fans is last year the team had decided all they had to do was rock up against Connacht in the final and it was done deal, there was a period about 15 mins from the end of that game where it appeared someone had realised they actually had to play some rugby but it was too late. We have done exactly the same thing again this year and yes there have been personnel changes but was the messaging and leadership in the team even close to the right intensity. We should have been looking to rip up trees on Friday night yet lost our way and appeared rudderless after 15 mins.

We are beyond blessed with some the home grown talent we have and while I believe we will turn this young talent into something great (I was very positive post Clermont) the devil in my head is asking are the lady boys back ?

Next year is now key to the confidence and future of this team, another capitulation and the demons may be back.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Every good Coach knows that in knock-out rugby, you've got to earn the right to go wide. It needn't take 50 or 60 minutes and that was proved by Northampton's try after less than 2 minutes against Connacht on Saturday.

When you play knock-out rugby you review and respect the opposition, assuming their top players will play at the top of their game. Llannelli have a top class back-row, mid-field and back three and we didn't pay those units due attention by ensuring that their involvement was on our terms, not theirs.

Leinster's maul and, to a lesser extent, our scrum were superior to that of Scarlets and we didn't plan for or execute this supremacy in any significant manner.

Yes, our individual mistakes were incomprehensible when viewed against the standards that we have set throughout the season and yes, we were on the end of some very poor refereeing decisions, notably the forward pass for their second try and two appaling scrum penalties in the second-half. But none of these incidents were of themselves decisive. Our team on Friday just never envisaged that Scarlets had the ammunition or ability to beat us, if we performed to our normal standards.

Knock-out rugby is harsh. History of the competitions that all of our players have grown up with, are littered with examples of favourites being beaten by less talented or skilful opponents.

We have a talented and skilful group available to us at present. They now need to add ruthlessness to their armoury. The sort of ruthlessness which ensures they will never play a knock-out game again without the fear of losing and the hunger to be better and harder that the individual opponent they face in each game.

Few, if any Leinster player outplayed their direct opponent. No Llannelli player played below their own expectations. Winning knock-out rugby doesn't happen because you turn up. When you get there, you've got to compete and dominate your opposition.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Every good Coach knows that in knock-out rugby, you've got to earn the right to go wide. It needn't take 50 or 60 minutes and that was proved by Northampton's try after less than 2 minutes against Connacht on Saturday.

When you play knock-out rugby you review and respect the opposition, assuming their top players will play at the top of their game. Llannelli have a top class back-row, mid-field and back three and we didn't pay those units due attention by ensuring that their involvement was on our terms, not theirs.

Leinster's maul and, to a lesser extent, our scrum were superior to that of Scarlets and we didn't plan for or execute this supremacy in any significant manner.

Yes, our individual mistakes were incomprehensible when viewed against the standards that we have set throughout the season and yes, we were on the end of some very poor refereeing decisions, notably the forward pass for their second try and two appaling scrum penalties in the second-half. But none of these incidents were of themselves decisive. Our team on Friday just never envisaged that Scarlets had the ammunition or ability to beat us, if we performed to our normal standards.

Knock-out rugby is harsh. History of the competitions that all of our players have grown up with, are littered with examples of favourites being beaten by less talented or skilful opponents.

We have a talented and skilful group available to us at present. They now need to add ruthlessness to their armoury. The sort of ruthlessness which ensures they will never play a knock-out game again without the fear of losing and the hunger to be better and harder that the individual opponent they face in each game.

Few, if any Leinster player outplayed their direct opponent. No Llannelli player played below their own expectations. Winning knock-out rugby doesn't happen because you turn up. When you get there, you've got to compete and dominate your opposition.
Well said.
Dont Panic!
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Dexter wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Every good Coach knows that in knock-out rugby, you've got to earn the right to go wide. It needn't take 50 or 60 minutes and that was proved by Northampton's try after less than 2 minutes against Connacht on Saturday.

Well said.
+1 pretty much nailed it for me...enough wringing of hands from Leo and the coaching staff they select, prepare the team and have to take the fall for this debacle... full house at RDS big support and not matched by the team on the night. Take nothing away from Scarlet's, but our pack were abysmal with no leadership ...when you look at Munster they have POM, or Stander or Holland...who did we have !!!
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Bogger wrote:
Dexter wrote:

Well said.
+1 pretty much nailed it for me...enough wringing of hands from Leo and the coaching staff they select, prepare the team and have to take the fall for this debacle... full house at RDS big support and not matched by the team on the night. Take nothing away from Scarlet's, but our pack were abysmal with no leadership ...when you look at Munster they have POM, or Stander or Holland...who did we have !!!
Agreed.Thought Triggs was doing fine though and no idea why he was substtiuted and not Maloney
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I've thought for the last 3 months that we've looked much more like Leinster from '06 than '09. You just can't see this team replicating the 9 -8 win in Quinns.

2 other things
Lineout
Our lineout has been cack all year. Who is our line out coach? People will bemoan Tracy's performance on Friday. But its the same all year no matter who the hooker is.

Returning the kick from deep.
We seem to have very little pattern or structure to our kick return. It seems that we are just reliant on Carberry or Nacewa doing something special. Need more work rate from players to get back and present an option.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

It was 6-5 v Quins. But your point stands. Good post RTB. Gameplan of starting fast and loose against a side who thrive on that was madness. Earn the right to go wide. Cool leadership sadly lacking.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought we were fine tactically at the start. We started well but kept blowing chances with poor handling or clear outs. I thought that got to us and then we conceded the first try. Have to say I expected us to click into gear after scoring such a brilliant try but we just conceded again and really panicked then.

But we were tactically inept after the break. With all the mistakes we were making and up against 14 men I can't believe we didn't play it tighter. I know it was before HT but going for touch after the red card illustrated how we were trying to run before we could walk, going for the big play instead of taking it step by step. There was absolutely no rush at that point.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

To me the tactics/gameplan we started with was more appropriate to chasing a BP win. A 3-0 victory would have done it. There was little variation, tactics were hi risk and Scarlets had us well read; which showed in that it took an excellent move to break their line. The playing it tight piece should have been employed from the start is my point. Second half is too late. Why didn't we use our supposed dominance upfront early to suck the life out of them. They have a serious set of backs and we presented them with targets all day long. How often were they actually retreating in defence vs meeting us behind the gainline. You would think that playing it tight 15 v 15 and loosening it up when 15 v 14 would make more sense. It's going to be a long summer of regret.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The issues, as I see them, in order of importance:

1. The management's performance since Clermont has been the root cause of our problems in my opinion (mental prep/ selection/ man management). This team has been mentally out of it since the Clermont match. Glasgow, Ulster and Scarlets...all shambolic performances.

2. J10 needs to be brought right back down to earth and treated as a mortal rugby player and not accorded god-like status . I have major doubts over Leo/Lancaster as a result of them leaving him on until minute 79 on Friday. I think he is too powerful and that is why he did not come off.

3. Our 2nd row is callow. Toner is the only tier 1 quality player in that position and he is out of form. It has been the biggest structural deficit in Leinster for years (since Hines was moved on) and is a blot on Mick Dawson's copy book let alone successive coaches. Fardy's signing is not enough. If Ryan comes through in 1 season it will be a major bonus, but is unlikely, and still we will need more than him and Ryan. Tadhg Beirne made a big statement on Friday and would have been our #2 2nd row this season had he stayed. I am not saying it won't happen for Molony - he should get 2 more seasons before they decide on him.

4. Line-out misfiring is criminal...and hard not to say that all 3 hookers are poor marksmen and have been for years.

Lesser matters
After that performance I also suspect that JGP is just not the grade, but perhaps I am being unfair. He is certainly light years behind Luke.

The bell is tolling for the great Isa.

We should persist with Adam Byrne, what he has added to the team this year far outweighs the work-ons.

Also as regards Mitrea, he is not why we lost but he and his officials ignoring of the last foot rule added as much belief to Scarlets in the first half as the unforced errors from Leinster. Their line speed was excellent anyway but when they were starting from half way up the ruck...! It is a basic and hugely important rule that referees and their two linesman play fast and loose with.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

desperado wrote:To me the tactics/gameplan we started with was more appropriate to chasing a BP win. A 3-0 victory would have done it. There was little variation, tactics were hi risk and Scarlets had us well read; which showed in that it took an excellent move to break their line. The playing it tight piece should have been employed from the start is my point. Second half is too late. Why didn't we use our supposed dominance upfront early to suck the life out of them. They have a serious set of backs and we presented them with targets all day long. How often were they actually retreating in defence vs meeting us behind the gainline. You would think that playing it tight 15 v 15 and loosening it up when 15 v 14 would make more sense. It's going to be a long summer of regret.
I think your point about the Scarlets reading us very well is an excellent point. This is in part down to Jonnie's poor performance but it is also a measure of how in form they are as a team. Not just in form but really cohesive and tight like an old club side, playing for each other.

I was really worried when we lost in Belfast because of how in form they are, but I relaxed when I saw Ball and especially Owens were missing and our 6:2 split.

The reality about us bossing them up front is that it was never on because our 2nd row is so weak. Triggs is a lovely man but never the grade and Molony is a WIP. That is before you factor in Jack getting injured, Tadhg taking it handy (Lions), Ruddock having a off-day, certainly defensively. I could say the same about VDF and Conan but I really think the ripple effect of the front 5 being poor fed into their performances.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think it's a flawed assumption to make to assume that the team would be capable of carrying out the tactics appropriate to this game. The tactical approach didn't matter because the mental approach was wrong. This team is not prepared properly to deal with adversity and has failed to do so, pretty much, all season
I have Bumbleflex