2017 -2018 Champions Cup Seeding

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: 2017 -2018 Champions Cup Seeding

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
I can see that this has been a fairly intense discussion and @Cathalsmart appears to be in a minority. However, I'm there alongside him in spirit and outlook about our prospects for this Season in Europe.

I firmly believe that if all our players have Leinster success as their total focus this season, when they have the Blue jersey on, there is no way that we should contemplate defeats in any of our three away games. Yes, we could get beaten in any one of them, but only if an opponent plays exceptionally well against us or, if we get an unfortunate injury on the day.

We now have a Squad of sufficient quality and depth in every position, even scrum half and second-row, to be able to produce high quality, high-tempo, performances against whoever our opponents select. We have players of the highest world quality sprinkled throughout the team but more importantly we have highly competent performers everywhere in the Squad.

We do need confidance and teamwork, and we must not be looking for any reasons why we might be defeated. Our mid-season target must be to go through our Pool undefeated, not merely qualified. I absolutely acknowledge that going to Clubs like Castres or Montpelier or Toulon or Clermont, that we are visiting venues with superb home records and very supportive home fans. But we have the skills and the depth to produce winning performances anywhere, if we have the appetite.

Hopefully, Leo, Girv and Stuart can instill the confidence in the Group to match the skills. But this MUST be the year we return to the level our skills deserve and our fans demand.
I agree we should aim high - and some of the responses have been a bit heavy handed. But.. no-one's going to convince me that Leinster go into away games aiming for a LBP at best. (Except maybe if it's on the moon Vs a team used to playing at altitude)
Dont Panic!
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Dexter wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
I can see that this has been a fairly intense discussion and @Cathalsmart appears to be in a minority. However, I'm there alongside him in spirit and outlook about our prospects for this Season in Europe.

I firmly believe that if all our players have Leinster success as their total focus this season, when they have the Blue jersey on, there is no way that we should contemplate defeats in any of our three away games. Yes, we could get beaten in any one of them, but only if an opponent plays exceptionally well against us or, if we get an unfortunate injury on the day.

We now have a Squad of sufficient quality and depth in every position, even scrum half and second-row, to be able to produce high quality, high-tempo, performances against whoever our opponents select. We have players of the highest world quality sprinkled throughout the team but more importantly we have highly competent performers everywhere in the Squad.

We do need confidance and teamwork, and we must not be looking for any reasons why we might be defeated. Our mid-season target must be to go through our Pool undefeated, not merely qualified. I absolutely acknowledge that going to Clubs like Castres or Montpelier or Toulon or Clermont, that we are visiting venues with superb home records and very supportive home fans. But we have the skills and the depth to produce winning performances anywhere, if we have the appetite.

Hopefully, Leo, Girv and Stuart can instill the confidence in the Group to match the skills. But this MUST be the year we return to the level our skills deserve and our fans demand.
I agree we should aim high - and some of the responses have been a bit heavy handed. But.. no-one's going to convince me that Leinster go into away games aiming for a LBP at best. (Except maybe if it's on the moon Vs a team used to playing at altitude)
Do you think that if we were aiming very high we would lose on the road as much as we do? 2015 was a great example, we only snuck past Castres away yet Harlequins &a Wasps (who didn't even advance from the pool and before Wasps were what they are now) won convincingly and with a TBP? I know we were dire under MOC but considering we won the pool how do does this manage to happen?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

On Leinster vs Wasps quarter final last season, good revisionism Cathal

Re: European Rugby Champions Cup
Postby Cathalsmart » March 26th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Wasps won 40-33, they will now be a huge challenge as they will be confident after being able to grind out a win in a tight game despite being favourites. We will be lower on confidence after only narrowly beating a team we should have hammered. Right now i make Wasps massive favourites.

Postby Cathalsmart » August 23rd, 2017, 12:45 pm

BLAH BLAH BLAH etc etc etc..... I remember being on here prior to the Wasps game and everyone was pretty much saying Wasps were overwhelming favourites (which I personally found laughable and was wonder had anyone on here actually watched Wasps this season) and in the end we battered them. BLAH BLAH BLAH etc etc etc

On the ACL injury to Tom Daly

Re: Leinster Senior Squad 2017/2018
Postby Cathalsmart » August 17th, 2017, 11:24 am

Massive loss, like it has been said probably the end of his Leinster career.

26 minutes later...

Postby Cathalsmart » August 17th, 2017, 11:51 am
Cathalsmart wrote:
johng wrote:From a personal pov that is awful for TOD.

From a Leinster pov we are down to Reid and O'Loughlin and the Academy in the centre.

Could be a big break for one of the academy lads.

With Ringrose, Henshaw and Lowe missing until at least October we are a bit under the kosh before a ball has been kicked in anger.
No offence to Daly but I wouldn't rate him much higher than the other centres in the academy plus they have a much higher ceiling.

Are you just trolling? Seriously.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Cathalsmart wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Do you think that if we were aiming very high we would lose on the road as much as we do? 2015 was a great example, we only snuck past Castres away yet Harlequins &a Wasps (who didn't even advance from the pool and before Wasps were what they are now) won convincingly and with a TBP? I know we were dire under MOC but considering we won the pool how do does this manage to happen?
You might be better to put your points in an e-mail to Leo Cullen. The season is nearly upon us so if a change in attitude is needed it would be good to inform them before the opening game. Ranting at Leinster supporters is unlikely to change the attitude of the team. I am sure they would value your feedback. It might even be worth bringing it up at a Q&A post match if you would prefer to speak directly with the players. My guess is that they do go out to win every game but sometimes they are not good enough for a variety of reasons. I would say that a desire to win is not one of those reasons.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

OTT wrote:On Leinster vs Wasps quarter final last season, good revisionism Cathal

Wasps won 40-33, they will now be a huge challenge as they will be confident after being able to grind out a win in a tight game despite being favourites. We will be lower on confidence after only narrowly beating a team we should have hammered. Right now i make Wasps massive favourites.

BLAH BLAH BLAH etc etc etc..... I remember being on here prior to the Wasps game and everyone was pretty much saying Wasps were overwhelming favourites (which I personally found laughable and was wonder had anyone on here actually watched Wasps this season) and in the end we battered them. BLAH BLAH BLAH etc etc etc

26 minutes later...

Cathalsmart wrote:

From a Leinster pov we are down to Reid and O'Loughlin and the Academy in the centre.

With Ringrose, Henshaw and Lowe missing until at least October we are a bit under the kosh before a ball has been kicked in anger.
No offence to Daly but I wouldn't rate him much higher than the other centres in the academy plus they have a much higher ceiling.

Excellent piece of research there OTT. :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

OTT wrote:On Leinster vs Wasps quarter final last season, good revisionism Cathal

26 minutes later...

Cathalsmart wrote:

The first one's I must admit wa sa joke, I was just imitating fans on here as it seemed every game we played we would make the opposition out to be much better than they actually were, some would nearly be able to convince you that poo taste lovely.

Most people on here seem to think Daly is terrible and exadurate it to extreme level's, don't see how what I wrote is untrue.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

First game cant come soon enough
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:First game cant come soon enough
You're so focking negative Simon, you need to introduce some positivity asap or that'll be it for you, a sad wannabe reduced to negative one line commentary on this forum. How do you expect to hold your own with the Ruckedtobit's, the Hugonaut's, the Lerouxisphat's or the elder more wealthy powerhouse's like Johng, with that attitude?
You gotta keep reaching for that rainbow Simon.

Yours,
Peg
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Most people on here are optimistic about what Leinster can achieve, we are Irelands most successful province, 3 time champs of Europe, 1 challenge cup and 4 time Pro14 champions, 35 time inter-pro champs. My personal expectation of Leinster each year is that they are in the race for silverware in each and every competition Leinster compete in, including B&I Cup. But I don’t confuse my expectation with reality or that if it doesn’t come true it’s because we aimed to come second, I accept that sometimes on any given day that we face teams who are simply better, play the conditions better, have better coaches, a better plan on the day. Get the rub of the green or a 50 50 call from the ref. I accept that there are other teams out there who are every bit as good as Leinster, and they too also have ambitions to win, to be the best. So in life and sport sometimes something has to give. These are not excuses for coming up short. I accept this because this is a reality, not because my team are happy with 2nd or that I’m compromising.

I have very little tolerance for people who assume we should win regardless of circumstances, assume every other team are shite, and offer no logic or argument as to why we had a right to win, or why x team are shite. It’s mind boggling stupidity, more intelligent things are written on the back of toilet doors. I’d also question the worth of that kind of supporter, is it healthy constructive support of a team to expect them to win every time, and if they don’t they are losers who went out to play for second. Is that not the opposite of a supporter.

So let’s be clear here, most of us, except the long suffering cynics wish the best for our team and want to win. The bar is set high. We are just not suspending reality and going to games with a pocket full of winner wishing beans.

So our CathalSmart has not made any intelligent argument to support his point of view that if only Leinster wouldn’t play for 2nd they’d be winners and he does not own the moral high ground of being the only person on here that wants Leinster to win. I want Leinster to win the Champions cup, Pro14, B&I cup playing a scintillating brand of rugby that is the envy of the world. Beat that !
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:Our job is to provide a competitive training environment for Irish squad members, the Pro14 and European Cup are strictly bread and circuses
Thats quite sad.
drive for 5
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

BlueBlue wrote:

Most people on here are optimistic about what Leinster can achieve, we are Irelands most successful province, 3 time champs of Europe, 1 challenge cup and 4 time Pro14 champions, 35 time inter-pro champs. My personal expectation of Leinster each year is that they are in the race for silverware in each and every competition Leinster compete in, including B&I Cup. But I don’t confuse my expectation with reality or that if it doesn’t come true it’s because we aimed to come second, I accept that sometimes on any given day that we face teams who are simply better, play the conditions better, have better coaches, a better plan on the day. Get the rub of the green or a 50 50 call from the ref. I accept that there are other teams out there who are every bit as good as Leinster, and they too also have ambitions to win, to be the best. So in life and sport sometimes something has to give. These are not excuses for coming up short. I accept this because this is a reality, not because my team are happy with 2nd or that I’m compromising.

I have very little tolerance for people who assume we should win regardless of circumstances, assume every other team are shite, and offer no logic or argument as to why we had a right to win, or why x team are shite. It’s mind boggling stupidity, more intelligent things are written on the back of toilet doors. I’d also question the worth of that kind of supporter, is it healthy constructive support of a team to expect them to win every time, and if they don’t they are losers who went out to play for second. Is that not the opposite of a supporter.

So let’s be clear here, most of us, except the long suffering cynics wish the best for our team and want to win. The bar is set high. We are just not suspending reality and going to games with a pocket full of winner wishing beans.

So our CathalSmart has not made any intelligent argument to support his point of view that if only Leinster wouldn’t play for 2nd they’d be winners and he does not own the moral high ground of being the only person on here that wants Leinster to win. I want Leinster to win the Champions cup, Pro14, B&I cup playing a scintillating brand of rugby that is the envy of the world. Beat that !
The spelling really hurt my eyes, so many mistakes.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

26 minutes later...

Cathalsmart wrote:

:D :D :D :clap:
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Cathalsmart wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:

I think you're accepting second.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

simonokeeffe wrote:First game cant come soon enough
Enough said !
drive for 5
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Cathalsmart wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:

You're joking, right? This is the first post you've made on this thread that does not contain a multitude of spelling and grammar errors. There are more errors (of grammar, there are even more errors of fact and judgement) in your post (the one quoted by BlueBlue) than in BlueBlue's actual post.

26 minutes later...

Cathalsmart wrote:

Your arguments have been shown to be absolute h0rsesh!t and your trolling is reaching Trumpian levels of logic and truth. Your username is wonderfully ironic.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Thanks joooooe, I think I spelt that correctly :D :D :wink:
drive for 5
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Leinster's away record in Europe

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote:Leinster's away record in Europe

As always, @Xanthippe with the facts which usually get in the way in a difference of opinion.

Factually, none of our last three Seasons gave us the sort of percentage that we had in each Season we became European Champions. But then there was 2004-5, and we all remember where that ended. We certainly should be looking for a minimum of 67% from away games in our Pool. That would reduce the chances of away q/f or even s/f. After that it can be a lottery.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

So our CathalSmart has not made any intelligent argument to support his point of view that if only Leinster wouldn’t play for 2nd they’d be winners and he does not own the moral high ground of being the only person on here that wants Leinster to win. I want Leinster to win the Champions cup, Pro14, B&I cup playing a scintillating brand of rugby that is the envy of the world. Beat that ![/quote]

The spelling really hurt my eyes, so many mistakes.[/quote]

You're joking, right? This is the first post you've made on this thread that does not contain a multitude of spelling and grammar errors. There are more errors (of grammar, there are even more errors of fact and judgement) in your post (the one quoted by BlueBlue) than in BlueBlue's actual post.

26 minutes later...

Cathalsmart wrote:

Your arguments have been shown to be absolute h0rsesh!t and your trolling is reaching Trumpian levels of logic and truth. Your username is wonderfully ironic.[/quote]

I can't accept or actually care for an insult made by someone who can't spell properly, must do more.