2017 -2018 Champions Cup Seeding

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: 2017 -2018 Champions Cup Seeding

Post by Ruckedtobits »

@kermischocolate, anyword on arrival date of Rennie yet. His first-hand knowledge of Cheetahs and Southern Kings gives him added value in this inaugural season of Pro14. Weve got a clear interest in trying to figure out how much time he'll have with his Squad before we get to EPCR games.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Ruckedtobits wrote:@kermischocolate, anyword on arrival date of Rennie yet. His first-hand knowledge of Cheetahs and Southern Kings gives him added value in this inaugural season of Pro14. Weve got a clear interest in trying to figure out how much time he'll have with his Squad before we get to EPCR games.
Sometime within the next week I'd guess- nothing official announced IIRC. His first game will be a pre-season game on 19th August so presumably before then?

Seemingly he's given plans for pre-season etc and has been in regular contact with club/ squad long before last season ended. Don't forget most (i.e. all apart from one) of the backroom staff are changing as well.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Fixtures out on Tuesday 22nd at 2pm
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Fixtures are out:

Mont (H) 14/10 1pm
Glasgow (A) 21/10 1pm
Exeter (A) 10/12 5.30pm
Exeter (H) 16/12 3.15pm
Glasgow (H)
Mont(A)

Pretty good draw considering. Hopefully Mont will be out of contention by the last game, or that could be a very sticky away trip.
Getting Glasgow away early is good, as they've a few injuries to clear up and Rennie will be late getting there.

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fix ... 18&round=1

Timings are pretty shocking though. Two early Sat games, a late Sunday away game and the Aviva game is earlier this year.
Last edited by wixfjord on August 22nd, 2017, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

kick-off times a bit cr@p, 1 pm on Saturday for both games in October. 5:30 on a Sunday for Exeter.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Pretty pleased that the Exeter game falls when it does - means I'm not away for one of the better away trips.
Anyone But New Zealand
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Always nervy for Irish teams on the road as it seems as if they almost always settle for a loss before kick off even happens so long as they get a LBP. With how cut throat europe is now a days that doesn't work anymore. Leinster wise I'm just glad that with the players that are out we don't need to go to Montpellier, that was what I was hoping for. Glasgow away...its an Ireland XV vs Scotland XV really, only difference is Glasgow's team doesn't have the forwards that make Scotland tick. Leinster should go there expecting to win but with Irish teams in europe don't be surprised to see them settle for a LBP.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Cathalsmart wrote:Always nervy for Irish teams on the road as it seems as if they almost always settle for a loss before kick off even happens so long as they get a LBP
Really?? :?
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:Always nervy for Irish teams on the road as it seems as if they almost always settle for a loss before kick off even happens so long as they get a LBP
Aye I really don't agree with that. In fact it doesn't even make sense!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

wixfjord wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Dont agree either.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

wixfjord wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Many a daft team have committed European cup suicide by not picking up a bonus point on the road, so I wouldnt be turning the nose up at a BP as some small achievement either.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Montpellier play Stade Francais in Paris in Top14 the week before we meet them in Oct. They play Clermont (a) the weekend after we face them in January.

Games have fallen well for them. If needed, they can rest bodies for the Paris fixture which they'd never do for a home T14 game.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Just have to look at Leinster last season, 4 away games, 3 wins there for the taking yet it almost felt like they threw it away all 3 times even against an awful Northampton Saints side was giving Leinster a game until Hartley got a red. It seems every away game that all we talk about after an away game is an honourable defeat rather than a great victory, I pretty much called in after we drew with Castres (another game that we were so wasteful that you almost felt it was deliberate) that what ended up happening against Clermont would happen, that we would be well in there but ultimately let them off the hook. I hope I'm wrong but I almost always expect an Irish team to lose on the road.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Cathalsmart wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I almost always expect an Irish team to lose on the road.
Personally I don't give a shite about the other Irish teams, but I think you'll find the Leinster away record has been relatively good. Google didn't find an away record table but someone here might have it done already.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

deco wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:I hope I'm wrong but I almost always expect an Irish team to lose on the road.
Personally I don't give a shite about the other Irish teams, but I think you'll find the Leinster away record has been relatively good. Google didn't find an away record table but someone here might have it done already.
Its good alright but it just seems that it should be a hell of a lot better when you consider the talent available. It really hit me when Leinster couldn't beat Castres away.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cathalsmart wrote:Just have to look at Leinster last season, 4 away games, 3 wins there for the taking yet it almost felt like they threw it away all 3 times even against an awful Northampton Saints side was giving Leinster a game until Hartley got a red. It seems every away game that all we talk about after an away game is an honourable defeat rather than a great victory, I pretty much called in after we drew with Castres (another game that we were so wasteful that you almost felt it was deliberate) that what ended up happening against Clermont would happen, that we would be well in there but ultimately let them off the hook. I hope I'm wrong but I almost always expect an Irish team to lose on the road.
You're counting a knockout game there eh? You're saying Leinster were settling for a LBP against Clermont? A bold strategy! You're also saying that you called the Clermont performance a full three months before the Clermont game, before we even knew we'd be playing Clermont? Interesting.

Secondly, we were 20-10 up against Northampton when Hartley got a red. A Northampton side that beat Castres and Montpellier at home btw too.

Your perspective just doesn't make any sense? You're saying that Leinster and other Irish teams are deliberately targeting a bonus point in away games? How does one even do that? Just let the other team score a try and keep up with them after is it?

Then there's also the fact we have only gotten something like three away LBPs in the last three years! Must be pretty bad at deliberately targeting it!
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

wixfjord wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:Just have to look at Leinster last season, 4 away games, 3 wins there for the taking yet it almost felt like they threw it away all 3 times even against an awful Northampton Saints side was giving Leinster a game until Hartley got a red. It seems every away game that all we talk about after an away game is an honourable defeat rather than a great victory, I pretty much called in after we drew with Castres (another game that we were so wasteful that you almost felt it was deliberate) that what ended up happening against Clermont would happen, that we would be well in there but ultimately let them off the hook. I hope I'm wrong but I almost always expect an Irish team to lose on the road.
You're counting a knockout game there eh? You're saying Leinster were settling for a LBP against Clermont? A bold strategy! You're also saying that you called the Clermont performance a full three months before the Clermont game, before we even knew we'd be playing Clermont? Interesting.

Secondly, we were 20-10 up against Northampton when Hartley got a red. A Northampton side that beat Castres and Montpellier at home btw too.

Your perspective just doesn't make any sense? You're saying that Leinster and other Irish teams are deliberately targeting a bonus point in away games? How does one even do that? Just let the other team score a try and keep up with them after is it?

Then there's also the fact we have only gotten something like three away LBPs in the last three years! Must be pretty bad at deliberately targeting it!
Targeting a LBP usually means that is our ceiling meaning we most of the time won't get it. You just got to look at that Castres performance and wonder.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cathalsmart wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Targeting a LBP usually means that is our ceiling meaning we most of the time won't get it. You just got to look at that Castres performance and wonder.
What would you wonder?

Again, do you think we went into that game targeting a LBP? An LBP that would've resulted in an away QF? That's what you reckon we wanted from that game?

I'd say it's far more logical to put it down to a poor performance and bad injuries.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Everyone knows that European Rugby started after 2006. Since then Leinster have lost 16 away (pool) games out of a total of 33. They've drawn four.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Then there's also the fact we have only gotten something like three away LBPs in the last three years! Must be pretty bad at deliberately targeting it![/quote]

Targeting a LBP usually means that is our ceiling meaning we most of the time won't get it. You just got to look at that Castres performance and wonder.[/quote]

What would you wonder?

Again, do you think we went into that game targeting a LBP? An LBP that would've resulted in an away QF? That's what you reckon we wanted from that game?

I'd say it's far more logical to put it down to a poor performance and bad injuries.[/quote] Bad Injuries is aloud of c~*k and bull, you had the bulk of playing for Leinster were as Castres a mid table French team were the ones short on players. That I think is a problem in Irish rugby though, expectation in Ireland is very low so when a team loses we just blame injuries and that usually is signed off as the problem yet the actually problem remains unfixed, look at the team sheet against Castres, bar O'Brien being out (bare in mind we nearly hit 60 at home vs Montpellier the previous week with give or take the same side) it was close enough to full strength yet you felt Leinster were trying to win with a hand tied behind there back when infact there was no need, all they have to do is express themselves and the results will come but no. Sorry if I sound so triggered but there is no nice way of saying it.
Last edited by Cathalsmart on August 22nd, 2017, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.