New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by wixfjord »

Finally announced:
Leo Cullen will remain on and it was also confirmed that Senior Coach Stuart Lancaster as well as Assistant Coaches Girvan Dempsey and John Fogarty, have been retained.
Emmet Farrell taking kicking coach role too.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen- ... ter-rugby/
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote:Finally announced:
Leo Cullen will remain on and it was also confirmed that Senior Coach Stuart Lancaster as well as Assistant Coaches Girvan Dempsey and John Fogarty, have been retained.
Emmet Farrell taking kicking coach role too.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen- ... ter-rugby/
Leo for two years, but doesn't state the length of contract for the other coaches.
Dont Panic!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

We need a dedicated defence coach.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not entirely sure what everyone does coaching wise bar Johnny Fogs. Presume Leo does lineout and maul. What way does it break down (pun not intended) for backs, skills, attack, defence etc.etc.

I don't think the IRFU are/were sure either.

Didn't they ask for clarification before renewing contracts?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

nothing as bad in management where everybody is responsible everything and nobody is responsible for anything. Clarity would be good -from the top down (and sideways :-) )
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

There seems to be a lot of overlap between Dempsey's backs' coach role and Lancaster's 'senior coach' role, based on interviews with Lancaster about what he actually does; as well as supposedly having responsibility for defence, he's also the attack coach from unstructured situations. Maybe Girv takes responsibility for pre-planned set-piece moves.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Listening to the bbc rugby podcast recently where they discussed the John Kingston sacking from Quinns, got me thinking about Leo. The circumstances are different but Kingston has been with Quinns for nearly 20 years before being appointed as head coach, considering his time at Leinster, Leo's tenure has been so smooth as he has sought to do what good managers do- hire great people and let them work.
Danny Care on the podcast admitted that quinns needed a new voice and this struck a chord, so did Leinster and we got Henry and Lancaster. Both of whom were Leo sourced and hired.
We are lucky to have him.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Peg Leg

Listening to the bbc rugby podcast recently where they discussed the John Kingston sacking from Quinns, got me thinking about Leo. The circumstances are different but Kingston has been with Quinns for nearly 20 years before being appointed as head coach, considering his time at Leinster, Leo's tenure has been so smooth as he has sought to do what good managers do- hire great people and let them work.
Danny Care on the podcast admitted that quinns needed a new voice and this struck a chord, so did Leinster and we got Henry and Lancaster. Both of whom were Leo sourced and hired.
We are lucky to have him.
+1
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

+1. I can see Lancaster joining Andy Farrell in the Ireland set-up after 2019 RWC, when Schmidt returns home to take the All Blacks job (or at least a Super Rugby franchise). The challenge then would be to recruit a defence coach/'senior coach' of high calibre.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Leinster Rugby and the IRFU have today confirmed a contract extension for Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen.

Leo, who won 221 caps for Leinster and was captain of three Heineken Cup winning squads, was appointed Head Coach at the start of the 2015/16 season and will now lead the province for a further two seasons until the end of the 2020/21 season.

Leinster Rugby CEO Mick Dawson has also confirmed that Senior Coach Stuart Lancaster has been retained
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

neiliog93 wrote:+1. I can see Lancaster joining Andy Farrell in the Ireland set-up after 2019 RWC, when Schmidt returns home to take the All Blacks job (or at least a Super Rugby franchise). The challenge then would be to recruit a defence coach/'senior coach' of high calibre.
He just signed a contract extension at Leinster today .....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:+1. I can see Lancaster joining Andy Farrell in the Ireland set-up after 2019 RWC, when Schmidt returns home to take the All Blacks job (or at least a Super Rugby franchise). The challenge then would be to recruit a defence coach/'senior coach' of high calibre.
Look at the date of the post.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's great news. I did think Lancaster would be in the mix for an Ireland job but who knows maybe he will be in a year or two.

ROC says that Fogarty is probably moving to the Ireland job. If that happens then I'd like Mike Ross to replace him please!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:
Look at the date of the post.
I know, was just saying his pessimism was unwarranted, great news today.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That's great news. I did think Lancaster would be in the mix for an Ireland job but who knows maybe he will be in a year or two.

ROC says that Fogarty is probably moving to the Ireland job. If that happens then I'd like Mike Ross to replace him please!
That question is under debate. Certainly not decided at this point. Look West and North as well
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

This is fuppin great news. Better than signing a megastar player. Plumber for 2 more years!!!
Interesting call on Ross. Working with the women has given him the coaching bug for sure. He's first in and last out according to reports.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Would love if Ross got back involved.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Really happy to hear this. Wasn't worried about Cullen but I'd say Lancaster had a lot of suitors back in England wanting to bring him back. Great news!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

desperado wrote:We need a dedicated defence coach.
Based on what evidence?

Since we last had a dedicated defence coach we've had unprecedented success.

In the pro14, only Munster have conceded less tries than us (34 for them, 35 for us)

In Europe, again, only Munster have conceded less tries than us (9 for them, 10 for us)

Lat season in the pro14, we were a bit more porous. We conceded 46 tries in the regular season. Glasgow (38), Munster (42), Scarlets (43), Edinburgh (44) had better records.

Last season in Europe, we conceded 14 tries in the entire competition bettered only by Munster (12) who played 1 less game
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He did say that nearly 2 years ago though...... Before all your stats