Dominic Ryan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Dominic Ryan

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote:Best wishes to Dippy. He had magic moments in a Leinster jersey - some phenomenal Superman tackles spring to mind!

He made a significant contribution to the Heineken Cup win in 2010-11 and was always a player who put in brave and committed performances whenever he was called on, to the point of putting his health and fitness at risk for the benefit of the team at times.

113 Leinster appearances, Heineken Cups, Pro12 league titles, an Irish cap - it may not have been the complete career he wanted, but he made his mark and won medals. Best of luck with the next stage.
+1 Thanks for everything, Dippy, and best of luck for the future!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Still haven't read the article but a combination of this news and what happened to Luke Shaw has got the issue of concussion on my mind again. In case anyone didn't see it, Shaw was jumping for a ball and got a bang on the head (hard to see exactly what happened because it's really quick), seemed to be knocked out and then landed head first and bounced horribly off the turf. He was out cold and the game was stopped for a while and think he was given oxygen. There's loads about it on social media and United even put up a message asking for people to leave messages of support.

He tweeted to say he's fine but it just got me thinking...isn't it mad that when we see someone knocked out on a rugby field we don't really bat an eyelid? I can't speak for everyone but I know that's the case with me now. I know it's bad but it's just so common that it means nothing. I would take it as a given that there will be at least one concussion in a game that I watch, and then you have people going off for HIAs and coming back on. The more I think about it, the more bizarre that is.

Imagine in 50 years if you watched back all of Leinster's games from last season and saw someone lying unconscious on the pitch in every game...it's crazy. Bit of a rambling post, the whole thing is just freaking me out a bit.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The article is only fractionally longer than your post