Academy 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Academy 2017/2018

Post by mildlyinterested »

Prop
Oisin Heffernan(Year 3/TH Prop/Terenure)
Jeremy Loughman(Year 3/TH Prop/UCD)
Vakh Abdaladze(Year 1/LH Prop/Clontarf)
Jack Aungier(Year 1/TH Prop/?)

Hooker
Sean McNulty(Year 3/UCD)
Ronan Kelleher(Year 1/UCD)

Lock
Oisin Dowling(Year 1/Lansdowne)

Backrow
Josh Murphy(Year 3/UCD)
Will Connors(Year 2/UCD)
Caelan Doris(Year 1/St. Marys)

Scrumhalf
Charlie Rock(Year 3/Lansdowne)
Hugh O'Sullivan(Year 1/?)

Outhalf

Outside Backs
Ian Fitzpatrick(Year 4/Lansdowne) - Back Three
Conor O'Brien(Year 2/Clontarf) - Centre
Jimmy O'Brien(Year 2/UCD) - Centre
Hugo Keenan(Year 2/UCD) - Back Three
Terry Kennedy(Year 2/St. Marys) - Back Three
Jordan Larmour(Year 2/St. Marys) - Back Three
Jack Kelly(Year 2/DUFC) - Centre/Wing/Fullback
Ciaran Frawley(Year 1/UCD) - Centre
Gavin Mullin(Year 1/UCD) - Centre
Tommy O'Brien(Year 1/UCD) - Wing/Centre
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 13th, 2017, 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Academy 2017/2018

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Out of curiosity, what happened to (what is presumably yours) goreyguy account?

Dean needs a good U20 season next year to force his way in.

Curious to see how O'Sullivan gets on. Have heard good things.

Will be interested to see how Deegan fits in to the senior squad. I can't see him and Timmins getting more than 10 caps between them at present next season
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Nick McCarthy is in the senior squad, Charlie Rock is the other scrumhalf in the academy.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote:Nick McCarthy is in the senior squad, Charlie Rock is the other scrumhalf in the academy.
knew I made a mistake.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Out of curiosity, what happened to (what is presumably yours) goreyguy account?

Dean needs a good U20 season next year to force his way in.

Curious to see how O'Sullivan gets on. Have heard good things.

Will be interested to see how Deegan fits in to the senior squad. I can't see him and Timmins getting more than 10 caps between them at present next season
I'd be surprised if Dean didn't make it next season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

18 players from the schools underage development system, 3 players from the club system.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

5 players eligible for Ireland u20 in academy next season: Aungier, Kelleher, Doris, O'Sullivan & T O'Brien
2 players joining straight from school: Aungier & O'Sullivan.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Is that a no comment to the goreyguy speculation? :lol: :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Is that a no comment to the goreyguy speculation? :lol: :lol:
well it's obviously me, forgot to answer.

couldn't access email account linked to account so closed it and created a new one.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Ah yeah I didn't think you were being cagy or anything. Just genuinely curious.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Ah yeah I didn't think you were being cagy or anything. Just genuinely curious.
Magic, thats what you get when genuinely curious meets mildlyinterested.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Still baffled that they chose Kelleher over McElroy in Leinster especially with Kellehers age and injury record.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Heard Kelleher may be joining Lansdowne, but unconfirmed.

McElroy shouldn't have quit the sub academy, once he done that it would appear the writing was on the wall.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

mildlyinterested wrote:Heard Kelleher may be joining Lansdowne, but unconfirmed.

McElroy shouldn't have quit the sub academy, once he done that it would appear the writing was on the wall.
Herd the same yesterday actually told it was already done. Lots of issues with person in charge of Sub Academy apparently, not suited and problems contract wise to replace him a historical problem from amateur to professional status. Also would like to think in a professional rugby environment provinces have systems in place for dealing with problems and problem players. Lots of lads immature and difficult but systems not there at sub - academy level to help them or educate them further an area that needs lots of work off the field
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Still he can't quit the sub academy and expect to make the academy, sets a precedent for future players.

I'm sure he isn't the first and won't be the last to not get along with said coach.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Do they announce a sub academy?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:Do they announce a sub academy?
No but a fair guess can be made based on interpros.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It's fairly remarkable that there is now three second rows from St. Michaels College either in the Leinster senior squad or Academy:

Ross Molony(23), James Ryan(21), Oisin Dowling(20)

With two more like academy players at u19 and u18 level in Jack Dunne(U19) and Ryan Baird(U18).
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:It's fairly remarkable that there is now three second rows from St. Michaels College either in the Leinster senior squad or Academy:

With two more like academy players at u19 and u18 level in Jack Dunne(U19) and Ryan Baird(U18).
It is. Ryan is obviously a phenom who would have got to Leinster if he was playing rugby for anybody, anywhere in the province. The progression of the other lads is a real credit both to them and their various coaches over the years.

Ross Molony is a Mini Me of Leo Cullen – very mature for his years, very tough and competitive. He's not as good as Leo was – Leo played for the Irish U21s for three years, most of that as a No8 – but they are very similar in a lot of respects. I will be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a long term Leinster captain. I don't know enough about Oisin Dowling to say anything worthwhile, but I was really impressed by his awareness of the law and his quick thinking with the try he scored during the Six Nations when he grounded the ball from an opposition 'ruck' over their tryline.

You could also add Josh Murphy in there as a part-time second row.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:It's fairly remarkable that there is now three second rows from St. Michaels College either in the Leinster senior squad or Academy:

It is. Ryan is obviously a phenom who would have got to Leinster if he was playing rugby for anybody, anywhere in the province. The progression of the other lads is a real credit both to them and their various coaches over the years.

Ross Molony is a Mini Me of Leo Cullen – very mature for his years, very tough and competitive. He's not as good as Leo was – Leo played for the Irish U21s for three years, most of that as a No8 – but they are very similar in a lot of respects. I will be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a long term Leinster captain. I don't know enough about Oisin Dowling to say anything worthwhile, but I was really impressed by his awareness of the law and his quick thinking with the try he scored during the Six Nations when he grounded the ball from an opposition 'ruck' over their tryline.

You could also add Josh Murphy in there as a part-time second row.
In fairness to Molony(1.96cm-6'5), he could only play 1 year of Ireland u20 due to when he left school. He was outstanding at that level though and will only be held back from the very top level by being a bit under powered due to an inability to carry enough bulk and retain his athleticism. Hopefully as he matures that changes.

If Murphy(196cm-6'5) could carry the required bulk, his game probably suits second row more than blindside... doesn't look like he can though

Ryan(2.01cm-6'7) is obviously a special case with the size, athleticism and rugby brain required to be a top level second row.

Unsure what to expect from Dowling, is of similar size to Molony/Murphy at in and around 1.96cm - 6'5, but looks like he may be able to carry the bulk required better than both.

Jack Dunne is a big prospect, looking at least to be 198cm-6'6 if not bigger.. looks to have the frame and size to be legitimate tighthead lock, where he played for Ireland u19's this season. Captained St. Michaels this season. Would be a surprise if he didn't make the Leinster academy.

Ryan Baird captained leinster schools last season a year underage and while he doesn't have the size of either Ryan or Dunne and is closer in size to Molony/Murphy/Dowling he looks to have all the ingredients to be another leinster academy player.

If you look at other second row prospects you'd have to begin with Charlie Ryan(6'6+) who was set to captain Ireland u18 until injury, Aaron Browne(6'6) who played Ireland u18 last season but missed out on similar honours this season with ireland u19 due to injury and Cormac Daly(6'5) who was a late callup for Ireland u20 this summer.