Academy 2017/2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Academy 2017/2018

Post by Keith »

Oh come on its hardly a disgrace. It's ONE player who is apparently a very good prospect.

If this guy was desperate to come to Europe why not snap him up? Don't worry the academies won't be filled with Saffers.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote:Oh come on its hardly a disgrace. It's ONE player who is apparently a very good prospect.

If this guy was desperate to come to Europe why not snap him up? Don't worry the academies won't be filled with Saffers.
They've signed two Saffers, a TH and a centre.

and maybe he wasn't desperate to come to europe, maybe Munster convinced him?

He was due to sign with Western Province.

It is a disgrace, the academies are supposed to be where irish players are developed, not 17 year old project players from South Africa.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Keith wrote:Oh come on its hardly a disgrace. It's ONE player who is apparently a very good prospect.

It is a disgrace, the academies are supposed to be where irish players are developed, not 17 year old project players from South Africa.
The centre isn't confirmed yet afaik. Would you prefer they were taking players out of Leinster's academy? I think this is simply the IRFU getting in some last project players before the 5 year rule comes in. Which I can understand.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

The centre isn't confirmed yet afaik. Would you prefer they were taking players out of Leinster's academy? I think this is simply the IRFU getting in some last project players before the 5 year rule comes in. Which I can understand.
There are plenty of munster underage internationals props they could have taken instead: Ben Betts, Peter Kelleher, Dylan Murphy, James Kendrick, Bryan O'Connor, Luke Masters.

Or pursued the following Leinster tightheads: Oisin Heffernan, Charlie Connolly, Joe Byrne.

Where is the incentive in developing homegrown players, if you can just sign a schoolboy saffer instead?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm not sure its a disgrace, but it is bloody ridiculous when you consider the number of young props that Munster didn't give academy spots to - the most egregious to my mind being Ben Betts who was outstanding on the u20s run to the JRWC final - from that team Stockdale, Keenan, O'Brien, McPhillips, Porter, McBurney, Ryan and Jones have all seen senior competitive action
I have Bumbleflex
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

I thought Betts turned a Munster deal down in favour of Leicester.

I agree it's not a disgrace but that moral high ground we like to take is starting to be eroded.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'm not sure its a disgrace, but it is bloody ridiculous when you consider the number of young props that Munster didn't give academy spots to - the most egregious to my mind being Ben Betts who was outstanding on the u20s run to the JRWC final - from that team Stockdale, Keenan, O'Brien, McPhillips, Porter, McBurney, Ryan and Jones have all seen senior competitive action
And Deegan. Cillian Gallagher was also of that age group but was injured for the WC.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

yesus! Forgot Deegan of all people!
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I'm not sure its a disgrace, but it is bloody ridiculous when you consider the number of young props that Munster didn't give academy spots to - the most egregious to my mind being Ben Betts who was outstanding on the u20s run to the JRWC final - from that team Stockdale, Keenan, O'Brien, McPhillips, Porter, McBurney, Ryan and Jones have all seen senior competitive action
And Deegan. Cillian Gallagher was also of that age group but was injured for the WC.
Gallagher was a year younger than them, but was playing as a u19.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I totally agree: This Knox move from Munster is an absolute disgrace. This was started by Munster, not Knox. They sourced him from their South African network over there, and then Fitzgerald bribed him to come over and sign up. Sad state of affairs if the change to a 5 year residency means we're going to start going after kids and offer them scholarships.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

macboomba wrote:I thought Betts turned a Munster deal down in favour of Leicester.

I agree it's not a disgrace but that moral high ground we like to take is starting to be eroded.
That's what I thought too? You can't force the guy to leave Leicester, he seems to be doing well there too.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

No, Betts was never offered an academy place AFAIK.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:No, Betts was never offered an academy place AFAIK.
Yeah he wasn't.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:No, Betts was never offered an academy place AFAIK.
Yeah he wasn't.
How do you know? I'm not saying you're wrong just wondering.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

It's indicative of what a sh!t show Munster are and the continued life support they're existing on. The desperation clamor to get South Africans in before the 5 year rule was pretty pathetic. They've lost all semblance of identity and are the first to completely sell out. Now all their fans whinge about is the population difference between Leinster and Munster, while Leinster have grown the game exponentially in the province and run a world class academy system, it has stagnated in Munster with their handful of fee paying schools and the old reliable half dozen clubs, we've come a long way from de dockers and fishermen having de pashun only found in Munster and that's why they're mythological miracle makers. You're more likely to hear a D4 accent chatting with a Saffar and a sprinkle of Alster as you are to hear a Limerick accent.

They just rely on handouts, getting developed players from anywhere but their academy, and the persistent life support from the IRFU as they hemorrhage coin. A real drain on Irish rugby resources without putting much back into the system.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

COYBIB wrote:It's indicative of what a sh!t show Munster are and the continued life support they're existing on. The desperation clamor to get South Africans in before the 5 year rule was pretty pathetic. They've lost all semblance of identity and are the first to completely sell out. Now all their fans whinge about is the population difference between Leinster and Munster, while Leinster have grown the game exponentially in the province and run a world class academy system, it has stagnated in Munster with their handful of fee paying schools and the old reliable half dozen clubs, we've come a long way from de dockers and fishermen having de pashun only found in Munster and that's why they're mythological miracle makers. You're more likely to hear a D4 accent chatting with a Saffar and a sprinkle of Alster as you are to hear a Limerick accent.

They just rely on handouts, getting developed players from anywhere but their academy, and the persistent life support from the IRFU as they hemorrhage coin. A real drain on Irish rugby resources without putting much back into the system.
You do realise Munster are one of the top teams in Europe at the minute? Bringing in guys like Arnold, Conor Oliver and Wotton aren't "handouts", it's them recruiting very intelligently and taking a risk on players that were surplus to requirements elsewhere or would you rather these kind of players never got a chance at a province?

They haven't lost their identity at all, guys like Stander and Taute have completely bought into the culture down at Munster and if anything only add to it. These guys give everything for Munster, to question what they bring to Munster is strange. The over reaction to ONE saffer being taken into an academy is laughable to say the least.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(Lansdowne/Year 2)

Big need for talent at this position, Eoghan Clarke(Wanderers) is at under-20 level and may earn an academy place this season, hard to predict now. Richie Bergin(UCD) looks a good prospect at under-19 but probably too early for him to join academy also. No obvious candidate to join straight from school, maybe Ethan Baxter(Gerards) but very unlikely as he is an u18.
Any standout hookers in the AIL? What kind of prospect is Kelleher?

Tracy is serviceable for now and Bryan Byrne is still relatively young, so I wouldn't panic just yet, especially if Cronin hangs around for another couple of years, but it's definitely become the position of most urgent attention required.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

COYBIB wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(Lansdowne/Year 2)

Big need for talent at this position, Eoghan Clarke(Wanderers) is at under-20 level and may earn an academy place this season, hard to predict now. Richie Bergin(UCD) looks a good prospect at under-19 but probably too early for him to join academy also. No obvious candidate to join straight from school, maybe Ethan Baxter(Gerards) but very unlikely as he is an u18.
Any standout hookers in the AIL? What kind of prospect is Kelleher?

Tracy is serviceable for now and Bryan Byrne is still relatively young, so I wouldn't panic just yet, especially if Cronin hangs around for another couple of years, but it's definitely become the position of most urgent attention required.
Paddy Finlay who plays for Trinity, he is 23 this year. Leinster had a look at him last season in A team.

An excellent one, the best hooker through underage system since David Doyle.

Bryan Byrne is 24, not sure he is young, even relatively. His darts will hold him back.

Tracy is better than serviceable.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Tadgh McElroy(Saracens)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Barry wrote:Tadgh McElroy(Saracens)
What about him?

Bar a huge change Leinster have moved on from him and he has moved on from irish rugby.