Ringrose Injury

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Ringrose Injury

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Imagine the OUTRAGE if Ringrose had been called up for the Lions with a pre-existing injury
Yes, there'd be LOADS of outrage! But the Lions don't pay his wages; Ireland does. So they have the 'right' to pick and play him. But whether it was "right" to do so- that's an entirely other matter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Imagine the OUTRAGE if Ringrose had been called up for the Lions with a pre-existing injury
Yes, there'd be LOADS of outrage! But the Lions don't pay his wages; Ireland does. So they have the 'right' to pick and play him. But whether it was "right" to do so- that's an entirely other matter...

Well then surely Leinster shouldn't pick him in case he gets injured - oh, hang on, thats already how it works
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Shoulders can be funny that way. Sometimes you make them worse by playing on, sometimes it's manageable.

If we're going to make a case for pulling him from ireland matches then he probably should have been pulled for the end of Leinster's season too.

I just hope he's good in the long term. He's a young future with a bright future that's worth protecting.

With Aki qualifying and others available he don't need to rush back for the November internationals.

His loss will be harder for Leinster, especially with Henshaw also out. Given the success of Farrell and Sexton as an attacking combination it makes sense that we're likely to be seeing more passing/1st-receiving centre play rather than truck/offload centres.

I'd expect Reid to get lots of action. ROL is a solid option too. We've tended to push centres (& fullbacks) to the wing. Unless we sign someone we're likely to see some opposite movement. Maybe Carbery or Adam Byrne.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:Shoulders can be funny that way. Sometimes you make them worse by playing on, sometimes it's manageable.

If we're going to make a case for pulling him from ireland matches then he probably should have been pulled for the end of Leinster's season too.
Well he wasn't injured until the final game of the season, so that argument doesn't hold much water.

But it's a lot better than Dave's- which makes no sense. Our injured internationals are Leinster registered players, centrally contracted to the IRFU. So we have to accept the fact that players in that situation will get injured on occasion playing for one of those teams. We don't have to accept the justice of the fact that at least two of our star players will be out for a protracted period due to the demands of the Lions. They don't pay their salary and the Lions is not their club employer.

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Lions is at the apex of the pyramid of Irish Rugby - you mightn't like it, but it doesn't make it any less real.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:The Lions is at the apex of the pyramid of Irish Rugby - you mightn't like it, but it doesn't make it any less real.
Actually it's the apex if it's own separate pyramid; an invitational side of huge prestige to players, profit to the four unions and content fodder to the media.

It has no relation to an Ireland player's merit. Irish players of immense talent and character- for example Simon Geoghegan were never picked. Other's (let's leave them nameless) of more marginal talent have got the nod. Let's not even go to the fortunate/ unfortunate "Geography Six"...

But, you're right- in that I don't like it.

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote:Irish players of immense talent and character- for example Simon Geoghegan were never picked.
Simon Geoghegan wasn't selected for the 93 tour because the IRFU were punishing him for his behaviour after a loss to Scotland, including a dressing room row with Noisy Murphy, the alickadoo's alickadoo - the Lions had nothing to do with it. A place was held for him up to the morning of the announcement of the '97 squad but he just couldn't get his foot right.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

artaneboy wrote:
ronk wrote:Shoulders can be funny that way. Sometimes you make them worse by playing on, sometimes it's manageable.

Well he wasn't injured until the final game of the season, so that argument doesn't hold much water.

But it's a lot better than Dave's- which makes no sense. Our injured internationals are Leinster registered players, centrally contracted to the IRFU. So we have to accept the fact that players in that situation will get injured on occasion playing for one of those teams. We don't have to accept the justice of the fact that at least two of our star players will be out for a protracted period due to the demands of the Lions. They don't pay their salary and the Lions is not their club employer.

We got Furlong back which is more than I expected. Didn't know when the injury happened to Ringrose, thanks.

Players will be better platters for having the Lions experience and it motivates players to work hard for Leinster and Ireland.

We got off lightly this time around with Kearney, Heaslip, Toner, Healy, Ringrose and maybe Jordi Murphy not picked/injured.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote::!:

Maybe Ringrose delayed the operation (and played) in case he was needed somewhere other than Japan or the USA...somewhere with long white clouds
So even when they don't pick our players they still manage to f8\% them up? I'm not even mad, in fact I'm impressed!
If only he knew he needed to be 5th choice for Wales to be called up

Say it was an operation he knew he needed at the end of the season (which is incredibly common), puts it off as he was on standby to go, Lions tour in NZ and his first Lions and the Lions in general being a big deal to him

Obviously from our POV its a pi$$er as no Lions tour and he has the op 2 months ago (without addressing if touring made it worse)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Irish players of immense talent and character- for example Simon Geoghegan were never picked.
Simon Geoghegan wasn't selected for the 93 tour because the IRFU were punishing him for his behaviour after a loss to Scotland, including a dressing room row with Noisy Murphy, the alickadoo's alickadoo - the Lions had nothing to do with it. A place was held for him up to the morning of the announcement of the '97 squad but he just couldn't get his foot right.
I'll shorten that for you: he had a row with an official, so the meritorious Lions section committee omitted him from a selection that had nothing to do with the Ireland team. I'd have selected him BECAUSE of his row with Murphy.

Whereas over the years a selection of average to goodish players (Andy Nicol, Tom Court, as well as the current Six, to memory) were in the 'right place at the right time' and picked up the supposed ultimate accolade.

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sorry, but that simply isn't true. His teammates were less than impressed with him either and they actually suspended him from the irish squad themselves. You don't throw the irish shirt on the floor and not face reprecussions.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Sorry, but that simply isn't true. His teammates were less than impressed with him either and they actually suspended him from the irish squad themselves. You don't throw the irish shirt on the floor and not face reprecussions.
But if its close to the wash basket its ok right?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Sorry, but that simply isn't true. His teammates were less than impressed with him either and they actually suspended him from the irish squad themselves. You don't throw the irish shirt on the floor and not face reprecussions.
Oh, what's not true; that he wasn't selected for the Lions because of a national "disciplinary" issue? Is that not what both of us effectively said?

Look, it doesn't matter anyway. Getting back to the essence of the matter, we are supposed to value the Lions as the pinnacle of the sport in these islands. Well maybe the players regard it so, but many of us fans just don't buy it. I don't hate the Lions concept; but I don't regard it as worth any sacrifice in terms of Leinster and Ireland. End of.

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Was it not that an interview appeared on the Sunday where he criticised the teams attitude to training. He had talked to the Indo I thought. The squad had a meeting that day.

I understood he was ruled out of Lions selection though whether that was at the request of IRFU or whether the Lions management didn't want to risk it I'm not sure

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
I'll shorten that for you: he had a row with an official, so the meritorious Lions section committee omitted him from a selection that had nothing to do with the Ireland team. I'd have selected him BECAUSE of his row with Murphy.

Whereas over the years a selection of average to goodish players (Andy Nicol, Tom Court, as well as the current Six, to memory) were in the 'right place at the right time' and picked up the supposed ultimate accolade.

The difference is Nicol was openly a coat hanger/seat filler and there was self awareness involved (of the farce)

Geography 6 was preplanned and a lot more guff & hype came their way
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Nick Popplewell gave an interview recently and said it was to do with deserved criticism of the irish team Simon G had told David Walsh, after that point he was blackballed from the lions.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

ronk wrote:

We got Furlong back which is more than I expected. Didn't know when the injury happened to Ringrose, thanks.

Players will be better platters for having the Lions experience and it motivates players to work hard for Leinster and Ireland.

We got off lightly this time around with Kearney, Heaslip, Toner, Healy, Ringrose and maybe Jordi Murphy not picked/injured.
According to Michael Corcoran on RTE radio 1, Jordi Murphy played a blinder for NZ in the 2nd half.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

olaf the fat wrote:
ronk wrote:

According to Michael Corcoran on RTE radio 1, Jordi Murphy played a blinder for NZ in the 2nd half.
It looks like we will be missing our first choice 7, 10,12 and 13 for the forseeable future. SOB doesn't really play for us anymore so he's not really a loss. Ross Byrne has a massive opportunity to put himself in a position to become Leinsters first choice 10. We are screwed in the centre.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Aims for 2017/18 season?
Survive to qualify for next seasons Champions cup?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Silverware - its been three years since we won somthing
I have Bumbleflex