Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

Post by mildlyinterested »

He is out of contract and it sounds like Munster are lining him up as a signing for next season as a long term replacement for Ryan.

Do you think Leinster should pursue him and try to bring him back into the setup?

I'd be massively in favour of it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster have no choice in the matter - they could want him more than I want haribo jelly cherries, but the IRFU are signing him for Munster to replace Leinster wannabe Donnacha Ryan.
I have Bumbleflex
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

can he play in the centre ?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dave Cahill wrote:Leinster have no choice in the matter - they could want him more than I want haribo jelly cherries, but the IRFU are signing him for Munster to replace Leinster wannabe Donnacha Ryan.
on a central deal?

I'm sure Beirne has some say in where he signs and Leinster could make him an offer. Maybe the IRFU would ultimately block the move but it's worth a try at least.

Would be a sickener to have a player like him on our books and ultimately miss out on him performing for leinster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Regardless of where he goes, the IRFU should try and get him back before he qualifies for Wales.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Probably the wrong question to ask, as given his performances I don't think anyone wouldn't want us to try sign him.

Whether it's realistic or not is another question.

I'd say Munster might be a more likely destination if he's open to that.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Regardless of where he goes, the IRFU should try and get him back before he qualifies for Wales.
I thought the fact he played 7's for Ireland rules that out?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

cormac wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Regardless of where he goes, the IRFU should try and get him back before he qualifies for Wales.
I thought the fact he played 7's for Ireland rules that out?
Depends on whether or not he played against another national team
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Two words of caution:

Robin Copeland.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

the spoofer wrote:Two words of caution:

Robin Copeland.
+1

Would like to see it for another year before I get overly excited.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Robin Copeland.
I remember Copeland playing against us when Conan I think made his debut. On night he butchered a certain try by not passing and IIRC Conan got MOTM. At the same time we'd Heaslip and Murphy at 8 so didn't really need him. OTOH we do have a weakness in the 2nd row. Kearney has been a disappointment and Nagle is limited. Jury is still out pon Molony.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

paddyor wrote:

Robin Copeland.
I remember Copeland playing against us when Conan I think made his debut. On night he butchered a certain try by not passing and IIRC Conan got MOTM. At the same time we'd Heaslip and Murphy at 8 so didn't really need him. OTOH we do have a weakness in the 2nd row. Kearney has been a disappointment and Nagle is limited. Jury is still out pon Molony.
I don't see what the problem is. We've Fardi coming in and I would hope to see James Ryan having a first team place tied down before the coming season is out. And before people start telling me second rows only hit their prime around the 30 mark, might I point out, that Maro Itoje has just returned from NZ as one of the stars of the Lions tour and he's not even 23 yet. In fact, while 20 going on 21 he played a whole season without losing a single match, being instrumental in England winning a slam and Saracens the double. James Ryan was most impressive on his two cameos of the bench vs the US Eagles and Japan. I reckon Joe has his name pencilled in for the Irish squad to the RWC in two years time. I'd even speculate, that having such a talent coming through was the reason Joe had no objections to Donnncha Ryan upping sticks for Paris.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Robin Copeland.
I don't see what the problem is. We've Fardi coming in and I would hope to see James Ryan having a first team place tied down before the coming season is out. And before people start telling me second rows only hit their prime around the 30 mark, might I point out, that Maro Itoje has just returned from NZ as one of the stars of the Lions tour and he's not even 23 yet. In fact, while 20 going on 21 he played a whole season without losing a single match, being instrumental in England winning a slam and Saracens the double. James Ryan was most impressive on his two cameos of the bench vs the US Eagles and Japan. I reckon Joe has his name pencilled in for the Irish squad to the RWC in two years time. I'd even speculate, that having such a talent coming through was the reason Joe had no objections to Donnncha Ryan upping sticks for Paris.
I wouldn't, but that's me. If he is one of them locks that develops really young he'll be away with Ireland for large parts of the season.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Logorrhea wrote:

Robin Copeland.
+1

Would like to see it for another year before I get overly excited.
+1 , I'm not as excitted as other people just yet.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd say the D Ryan thing happened on its own and J Ryan was irrelevant. There are other locks out there and he wasn't worth paying a premium over.

He's a good player who was in form at the time but he's never done anything to justify heroic efforts to retain him. Easier to lose him and use him if his form is super good and we have need, than to pay him a big wage and let him fight for his place.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

No.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Beirne possibly headed to Munster according to IT:
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3226823

Good move.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

That was in the local news over the summer - and posted by DC earlier in this thread.
Is it a good move? How many Leinster rejects' careers has it really helped? Will he really be better coached down there?

I'd have liked to see him come back to us: we need a good and consistent row, who can perform at the top level. Beirne seems to tick those boxes.
Right now we have two fit locks for an away game in South Africa, so that would seem to suggest our squad is not ok.
James Ryan may be the next Jesus and he also may not but he seems to be already picking up the odd injury; Molony may also build on the strengths he revealed two seasons ago, but he also may not; Kearney and Nagle are both decent players but not top level and have been injured more than not for us; Fardy won't be with us forever; Toner may rediscover top form, or he may not.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:That was in the local news over the summer - and posted by DC earlier in this thread.
Is it a good move? How many Leinster rejects' careers has it really helped? Will he really be better coached down there?

I'd have liked to see him come back to us: we need a good and consistent row, who can perform at the top level. Beirne seems to tick those boxes.
Right now we have two fit locks for an away game in South Africa, so that would seem to suggest our squad is not ok.
James Ryan may be the next Jesus and he also may not but he seems to be already picking up the odd injury; Molony may also build on the strengths he revealed two seasons ago, but he also may not; Kearney and Nagle are both decent players but not top level and have been injured more than not for us; Fardy won't be with us forever; Toner may rediscover top form, or he may not.
Fardy forgotten after 2 games :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
curates_egg wrote:That was in the local news over the summer - and posted by DC earlier in this thread.

Fardy forgotten after 2 games :wink:
How is he forgotten? I listed him. I also noted that he "won't be with us forever". Based on past experience, we'll have him for a couple of seasons.
Regardless, given the various profiles of the players listed above, I believe it would have been in our interest to get Beirne here next season.