Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

Post by mildlyinterested »

Will Leinster fans look back in a few years and deeply regret the province releasing Beirne?

Hopefully not...
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

mildlyinterested wrote:Will Leinster fans look back in a few years and deeply regret the province releasing Beirne?

Hopefully not...
He was perma-injured while he was here so there really was no way that we could have known he'd have pushed on the way he did. Hindsight is 20:20 as they say. How many guys have we released like that that didn't push on? It's inevitable that some will really. As long as we're not regularly bungling that stuff up then we're fine I reckon.

Plus maybe the break from Leinster was the best thing for him too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

molloyjh wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Will Leinster fans look back in a few years and deeply regret the province releasing Beirne?

Hopefully not...
He was perma-injured while he was here so there really was no way that we could have known he'd have pushed on the way he did. Hindsight is 20:20 as they say. How many guys have we released like that that didn't push on? It's inevitable that some will really. As long as we're not regularly bungling that stuff up then we're fine I reckon.

I'm not saying Beirne being released was not the right move at the time.. but if he goes onto be a top tier international for Munster....

I'll certainly regret both releasing him and not ensuring we resigned him when we had a chance.

Hopefully Ryan reaches his potential and it won't be as big of a deal.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Hopefully not...

Not sure about Leinster fans in general but I do know a certain poster on here who would have seen a 25 nearly 26 year old second row who may or may not be good enough for Ireland as a potential road block to younger players with a potentially higher ceiling like Ryan. We had to listen to that poster write off Dominic Ryan and Kevin McLaughlin and many others for years. You could ask that question on any player who has ever left Leinster. You can't keep them all as you well know.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:
I'm not saying Beirne being released was not the right move at the time.. but if he goes onto be a top tier international for Munster....

I'll certainly regret both releasing him and not ensuring we resigned him when we had a chance.
When did we have a chance to resign him?
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Unless the IRFU prevented us from doing so, we had as much a chance as Munster.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Unless the IRFU prevented us from doing so, we had as much a chance as Munster.
That's probably the most important bit.

Leinster " Hey, Nuci, we want to sign Beirne"

Nuci "f%~k off, you have Fardy, Ryan and Toner".
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

mildlyinterested wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

Hopefully not...

Hopefully Ryan reaches his potential and it won't be as big of a deal.
This is something sports teams the world over have to deal with, in all codes. It's just not possible to predict how a player may develop, or to stockpile players in case they turn out to be stars. Circumstances change, and re-signing him was probably not a realistic option for various reasons, some already alluded to.
Dont Panic!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dexter wrote: This is something sports teams the world over have to deal with, in all codes. It's just not possible to predict how a player may develop, or to stockpile players in case they turn out to be stars. Circumstances change, and re-signing him was probably not a realistic option for various reasons, some already alluded to.
not sure why resigning him isn't realistic.. unless IRFU prevented it.. his form is better than any of our irish second rows.

when he is starring for Munster against us I wonder will people be so understanding.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Dexter wrote: This is something sports teams the world over have to deal with, in all codes. It's just not possible to predict how a player may develop, or to stockpile players in case they turn out to be stars. Circumstances change, and re-signing him was probably not a realistic option for various reasons, some already alluded to.
not sure why resigning him isn't realistic.. unless IRFU prevented it.. his form is better than any of our irish second rows.

when he is starring for Munster against us I wonder will people be so understanding.
I think they will, a lot of folk on here have a soft spot for Munster. It's weird, but true.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

mildlyinterested wrote:

It isn't realistic because in the real world there isn't a limitless supply of money. In the real world we have 2 highly experienced internationals who he would need to duke it out with for a starting place. Both of whom have shown they are quality players. Their form right now is irrelevant. Their form next season is. And there is absolutely no way to predict where that will be. Given what both have shown over the last 12 months it's realistic to suggest both will be in good form. Add to that the brightest prospect at lock in years is coming through now too, and come next season he'll have hopefully built up a few caps and is already capped internationally. This time next year we could have 3 high quality locks in place. Our need to buy in more would be low at that point and the competition for places will be high.

On the flip side Munster are really struggling at lock at the moment. They are actively looking because they really need to and the chance of slotting straight into a starting position is very high this time next season.

So on the one hand there's a team where you might have a fight on your hands to make the 23, but will almost certainly have a fight on your hands to make the starting 15. Then there's another team where you're far more certain of a place in the starting 15 and near on guaranteed a place in the 23. It's a pretty simple decision in some respects.

Looking to demonise the IRFU when there is literally not a shred of evidence that they have said or done anything is a bit much. There are far more realistic reasons why Beirne might not sign with us.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Almost as if Beirne has a choice in the matter himself
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:Almost as if Beirne has a choice in the matter himself
He does have a choice, assuming Leinster were allowed offer him a contract by the IRFU.

Wouldn't blame him for choosing Munster if he was given the choice between Munster & Leinster.

We don't know if he was though.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

mildlyinterested wrote:
He does have a choice, assuming Leinster were allowed offer him a contract by the IRFU.

Wouldn't blame him for choosing Munster if he was given the choice between Munster & Leinster.

We don't know if he was though.
And probably never will. And even if we do whether Leinster ever wanted to give him a contract. So why exactly are we talking about it, and putting so much emphasis on the IRFU?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He has as much choice as Simon Easterby did in 2003
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:
so no choice, decreed by the IRFU that Munster would be the only club to offer him a contract.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Nah thats a false comparison, unless the analogy is Easterby never wanted to come to Dublin, he stays in West Wales and he sure as Schmidt doesnt get 60 odd caps

Him moving to Munster makes the most sense for himself and for the national side
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

deco wrote: a lot of folk on here have a soft spot for Munster. It's weird, but true.
To translate from Decospeak.

Not hating with every last fibre of your being = having a soft spot for.

:lol:

I'd love to re sign him. Fardy will only have one year left on his contract. Toner will be a year older. Himself and Ryan could make a great pair.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Beirne wanted to return to Ireland to be considered for the National team, Leinster have enough (not all quality) rsources at second row and back row for IRFU to say no we won't sanction it. Beirne told if you want back in it is Munster or your on your own, Beirne delighted to get an oppurtunity again and delighted to go there. Leinster dropped him he had no contract was about to take a real job and Scrlets took a punt and he came good. No guarantee his form or injury free run will continue in Munster. With Molony & Ryan coming thru he would have been a hindrance to their development in Leinster both rated higher by Leinster than Beirne was. Best of luck to him hope he gets capped