Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Should Leinster try and sign Tadhg Beirne?

Post by mildlyinterested »

Armchair wrote:Beirne wanted to return to Ireland to be considered for the National team, Leinster have enough (not all quality) rsources at second row and back row for IRFU to say no we won't sanction it. Beirne told if you want back in it is Munster or your on your own, Beirne delighted to get an oppurtunity again and delighted to go there. Leinster dropped him he had no contract was about to take a real job and Scrlets took a punt and he came good. No guarantee his form or injury free run will continue in Munster. With Molony & Ryan coming thru he would have been a hindrance to their development in Leinster both rated higher by Leinster than Beirne was. Best of luck to him hope he gets capped
hardly surprising.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'm genuinely wondering why no one has mentioned Connacht and Ulster? Both would kill for Beirne as well so I don't see how Munster is this automatic choice.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote:I'm genuinely wondering why no one has mentioned Connacht and Ulster? Both would kill for Beirne as well so I don't see how Munster is this automatic choice.
I'd say it's the fact that Connacht have Roux and Dillane, Ulster have Hendo and Treadwell, we have Molony, Ryan and Toner and Munster are lacking potential test level Irish 2nd rows.

If we're looking at this in any way objectively, Munster is the obvious choice for IRFU and probably for him too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster far and away his best chance of European Cup Rugby

Plus hes playing with more internationals than Connacht. IRFU pov Ulster have Hendo and Treadwell and theh want them starting too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:I'm genuinely wondering why no one has mentioned Connacht and Ulster? Both would kill for Beirne as well so I don't see how Munster is this automatic choice.
I would kill for a Ryan / Beirne partnership for a five plus year period, starting in 2018.

Cannot see Dev being able for 80 mins twenty times a year for much longer and Beirne and Ryan have the football skills to complement our young forwards in every other position bar hooker.

On the topic of hooker, can nobody see the absolute need for and complete logic of convincing Peader Timmons to switch to No 2? Certainly, we have no idea of his line-out throwing potential, but with training and practise, can it possibly prove any worse that the exhibitions of Brian Byrne?

Timmons has the physique to handle the scrum role. He has the football ability to excel among his contemporaies in every facet of open play, as he has done throughout his career. Finally now that he has completed his very high level academic qualifications, he has the time and age to give himself a shot for the highest honours in the game in a position for which his body was designed.

Thinking of Steve Thompson as a role model, Timmons could realistically be joining Scannell as one of the Irish hookers for RWC 2019. It is possible, but he has to want to do it.

Alternatively, Leinster must focus on recruiting somebody like Heffernan back from Connacht because, for all their open-play attributes, neither Byrne nor Cronin give any confidence at crucial line-outs and Treacy has no consistency. This is not just a single position, it is one which impacts regularly throughout the game on a critical unit of the team. Without this unit functioning, Leinster can excel everywhere else but still be impotent as a team. We must fix this.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was banging on about Timmins moving to hooker a couple years ago, surely it's been discussed?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was banging on about Timmins moving to hooker a couple years ago, surely it's been discussed?
Twas. Probably a bit late now too as he'd have to play a lot of A and AIL to get used to it. Plus his height might be an issue in the scrum

Dev has a good injury profile, low mileage in early twenties, hes fine for a few more years
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oh sorry, I meant discussed with him, wasn't having a pop at RTB :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was banging on about Timmins moving to hooker a couple years ago, surely it's been discussed?
Twas. Probably a bit late now too as he'd have to play a lot of A and AIL to get used to it. Plus his height might be an issue in the scrum

Dev has a good injury profile, low mileage in early twenties, hes fine for a few more years
Dev also has no particular pace or explosive power to lose. He's not the type of guy who injures himself or has to be kept on a short leash in the same way as explosive athletes like Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien. His size is his primary asset, and he's not going to get any smaller. Second rows tend to have the longest careers in rugby, and I'd expect Dev to play for another five or six years for Leinster.
Last edited by hugonaut on October 1st, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oh sorry, I meant discussed with him, wasn't having a pop at RTB :lol:
I broke up a non existent fight, my finest achievement yet
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Shut down the thread: http://www.the42.ie/tadhg-beirne-munste ... 9-Oct2017/
"TADHG BEIRNE HAS turned down a ‘very good’ contract offer from Pro12 champions Scarlets to join Munster in a bid to pursue his international aspirations with Ireland.
Beirne, who joined the Scarlets following his release from Leinster in June 2016, has been identified by the IRFU as long-term successor to replace Donncha Ryan at Munster with conversations reportedly taking place as early as last May."

Shame. A missed opportunity for us. Fardy definitely looks a better player, and will be more useful to us than someone away for internationals. But how long will he stick around?
If Ryan can stay fit, he looks fantastic...but that's an if. Far too many ifs surrounding our 2nd row stocks.

Good luck Tadgh: you would have been welcomed back with open arms but I will now have to hate you :wink:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Dev also has no particular pace or explosive power to lose. He's not the type of guy who injures himself or has to be kept on a short leash in the same way as explosive athletes like Cian Healy and Sean O'Brien. His size is his primary asset, and he's not going to get any smaller. Second rows tend to have the longest careers in rugby, and I'd expect Dev to play for another five or six years for Leinster.
Hopefully not all of them as first choice.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Signing announced by Munster for next season...

Munster Rugby and the IRFU can today confirm that Tadhg Beirne will join the province at the start of the 2018/19 season on a two-year contract.

The 25-year-old lock will make the move from Scarlets where he has to-date made 29 appearances after making the switch from Leinster at the start of the 2016/17 season.

The move to the Llanelli based club proved to be career defining as the Kildare native developed into one of the club’s leading forwards.  He rounded off his breakthrough season with an outstanding performance in the Welsh side’s Guinness PRO12 title win in May.

A former Ireland U20s player Beirne featured in all of Ireland’s games during the 2012 U20s 6 Nations and Junior World Championship, lining out next to current Munster men JJ Hanrahan, Chris Farrell and Niall Scannell.

Name: Tadhg Beirne
Position:  Lock
DOB:  08/01/92
Born:  Co. Kildare
Height:  6’ 6”
Weight:  106kg
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Signing announced by Munster for next season...

Munster Rugby and the IRFU can today confirm that Tadhg Beirne will join the province at the start of the 2018/19 season on a two-year contract.

The 25-year-old lock will make the move from Scarlets where he has to-date made 29 appearances after making the switch from Leinster at the start of the 2016/17 season.

The move to the Llanelli based club proved to be career defining as the Kildare native developed into one of the club’s leading forwards.  He rounded off his breakthrough season with an outstanding performance in the Welsh side’s Guinness PRO12 title win in May.

A former Ireland U20s player Beirne featured in all of Ireland’s games during the 2012 U20s 6 Nations and Junior World Championship, lining out next to current Munster men JJ Hanrahan, Chris Farrell and Niall Scannell.

Name: Tadhg Beirne
Position:  Lock
DOB:  08/01/92
Born:  Co. Kildare
Height:  6’ 6”
Weight:  106kg
Surely he is heavier than this. Mick Kearney is listed as 8-10kgs heavier and is definitely shorter.

Ross Molony is listed as 5-6kgs more too
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

They're pouring unlimited resources down the black hole that is Munster Rugby in order to keep them afloat. In terms of the sheer volume of NIQs coming through the doors and out again, both long and short term, they also seem to have the pick of the Irish abroad and also have been given a dig out with supplements to their academy.

All but the kitchen sink has been thrown at them in an attempt to keep them afloat. Munster for all intents and purposes has completely collapsed and is propped up by the IRFU, they haven't made a single cent of profit in over a decade, provincial resources have hemorrhaged into paying for their stadium and players (shallowing the pool for everyone else), but Connacht aren't feasable as a main team as there simply isn't the support base and we need at least three competitive teams.

Unfortunately it just means we have to grin and bare it as the never ending bail out continues, and that means saying goodbye to a lot of players. It's unsustainable though, they're living off of NIQs, scraps from other provinces and the odd international quality player that comes through their academy. The extension of the naturalization of NIQs will hurt them a lot also.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

What do you make of the quote from Pivac below? Looks bad for the Leinster coaching team but not surprising judging on how both teams play.
When we got him, he was very enthusiastic," Scarlets coach Wayne Pivac told the Irish Independent this week.

Perseverance "His skills needed to be worked on, his pass, catch skills. We train the forwards to run into spaces. He's now doing very well after working on that skill set.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

dropkick wrote:What do you make of the quote from Pivac below? Looks bad for the Leinster coaching team but not surprising judging on how both teams play.
When we got him, he was very enthusiastic," Scarlets coach Wayne Pivac told the Irish Independent this week.

Perseverance "His skills needed to be worked on, his pass, catch skills. We train the forwards to run into spaces. He's now doing very well after working on that skill set.
It doesn't exactly paint a very encouraging picture, does it? The coaching at Leinster just isn't measuring up to the, admittedly very high level, coaching at the Scarlets. Them developing a Leinster cast-off into a significantly better player than the players Leinster kept on does raise a lot of questions about how things are done here.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I saw that earlier and I still don't really understand it. His skill level isn't really what stands out now and I'd have thought it was his physicality and ability at the breakdown that had improved dramatically. The forwards for the Leinster A team have been skilful and running at space for years, I thought Beirne always looked decent but not dynamic enough for the first team. I would say that staying healthy has allowed him to develop physically and combined with playing a lot of games at a higher level has enabled him to kick on more so than improving his skill set.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:
dropkick wrote:What do you make of the quote from Pivac below? Looks bad for the Leinster coaching team but not surprising judging on how both teams play.

It doesn't exactly paint a very encouraging picture, does it? The coaching at Leinster just isn't measuring up to the, admittedly very high level, coaching at the Scarlets. Them developing a Leinster cast-off into a significantly better player than the players Leinster kept on does raise a lot of questions about how things are done here.
Yeah, whenever I look at guys like Tadgh, Jack, Josh, Dan or Max, I can't stop thinking about how poor their skills are. That and how The Shining is obviously a metaphor for faking the Moon Landings
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Mustve been some dodgy coaching at Landsdowne

Or he was mostly rehabbing here